Audio Nirvana Super Cast 10" (New)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Topping tk2050 and AN10's

Sorry, haven't posted on here for a while. Thanks to planet10 and freddi for the info.

My Topping tk2050 arrived yesterday and now had 10+ hours burn in. The combination of the AN10 and topping amp is superb!! It's a cliche but hearing lots of details that I never heard with my cambridge audio A5 (mostly high frequency stuff but even heard some new low frequency noises with the sub unused), goes louder than my ears can handle and soundstaging has really improved too.

Hopefully Topping still has a hoarded stock of genuine Tripath chips.
There are *many* Fakes of sketchy pedigree and circuit design, being Fabrique en Chine these past years... since Tripath ceased .

Ineptly made copies are a poor substitute for the oem Tripaths.
Caveat emptor :)

OK TP-22. Yes that is a Tripath chip. Whether is is out of the Tripath factory or a knockoff, no one knows. I'm guessing that the original Tripath chips were made in China, so it is likely that "original" chips are still coming off of the line.

PS1 Topping is a step up from stuff like Lepai, so the likelihood of an "original" chip is good.

PS2 Besides the chip, the biggest difference between the TP-22 and the TP60 is that the TP-60 has an internal analog power supply

PS3 I see that Parts Express is starting to rate the class D amps at 1% THD levels. That means that the quoted power levels are real.

Bob

Oem tripaths were fabbed for Tripath in Korea under contract.
No idea if the Koreans are doing moonlight builds currently.
However Korea is a wee bit more advanced in the area of integrity and copyrights.. Plus their laws are enforceable.
Cirrus Logic the owner of all things Tripath, might take legal offense at continued unathourised production??
There are Many Chinese Fakes about. I know, I've inadvertently bought a few.
Even a couple from Arjen Helder who claimed that His goods were absolutely genuine.
Those that were delivered, absolutely were not.. Fooled.. yet again.
But there is little to No real life recourse when buying from Chine.. shipping alone precludes it..
For the longest time I thought my Mark Audio drivers were Crap.. using an (aleged) Tripath amp.
I thought/assumed that these drivers were simply low quality dross, comensurate with their price.
Finally fitted a 'real' amp to them (tripath gizmo died) and Sunuvagun the drivers were instantly sounding Very good.. a Major revelation for me.

Garbage in = garbage out.. Caveat emptor Kids.

Last edited:
and pray tell, have you yet identified the 'real' amp involved? :)

yes, Mark's drivers don't sugarcoat much. While I often use a 6BQ5 P/P amp for 2 channel audio only, the difference between a several years old Denon and newer Onkyo in 5.1 surround system was a revelation - I could get all audio-nerdy and talk about lifted veils, etc., but you get the picture.

I know that you all get teary-eyed over your 2w 2A3's and 5w EL34's, but the (still the best IMO) A7.3 needs 20w of headroom to do justice to really dynamic material. I personally do not like the overly sweet sound of the 2nd order distortion generators. The only tube amp that I own is a 6BX7 PP build by Jef Larson. It has a touch of -ve feedback:eek: so it sounds very SS except for no hint of glassiness on top.

I have run just about every Alpair driver with my HTR -- Yamaha RX-V665. I know I am supposed to hear all kinds of garbage and degradation of SQ because of the inferior electronics, but I don't. The Yami does just fine.

My go to 2-ch amp is the Topping TP-60 -- Tripath TA2022. This amp gives me the sound I want to hear, but the technology is getting a bit long in the tooth. I just got a LP7498E amp. At first blush, I don't hear any remarkable difference between the TA2022 and the LP7498E, but I need more time. I will also get a TPA3116 amp, which is all the rage these days. I am beginning to wonder if chacing class D amps is like chasing speaker cables. Yes, the voicing of different amps is different, but I can easily change the voicing with a little DSP.

Bob

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That? In 300 litres?

IIRC the An-Ken we did for the cast 10 (different versions for Neo & ferrite) is 55-65 litre. We built a set for the ferrites last summer. Of the small sampling of AN i have heard, these could probably be lived with -- they had some resonant edges above about 500 Hz that would likely be diminished with more break-in (and they wouldn't escape full treatment which can't but help)

http://p10hifi.net/FAL/downloads/AN-Ken-promo-120613.pdf

dave

These 'classic' drivers look interesting. I wonder if it's all about saving the cost of a phase plug and whizzer though ?

I have the cast frame AN15 with phase plug and whizzer. It's not perfect, any kind of whizzer is a form of mechanical cross-over. But I'm not sure how well the 'classic' AN's would do off-axis.

Dave - like those plans, if you get the urge to look at the current Super AN15 I'd be interested to know what kind of volume, port area/length you'd suggest to Onkenize one of those ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.