Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Would you rate this curcumstance of DC occuring on the outputs as endangering headphones or loudspeakers? In the manual of the RME DAC 2 FS it is stated like that. The display on it even shows the level of dc and that seems to be very high- depending on the volume level- I had levels til more then -10 db on the scale and that stays the whole time after track-stopping or til one reduces volume.

@ Roberto1969,

They are in different working principle. Other Digi HATs work in master mode without a re-clock stage. But to get the best possible sound quality, FifoPi/TransportPi combination works in SYNC mode with FIFO re-clock stage integrated. So, to 100% follow the input signal it may have a chance to stop S/PDIF signals when input signal signals is stopped (RaspberryPi stops the I2S signal at pause or stop mode). Normally, DACs don't have a problem with it.

The new FifoPiQ7 provides two options: either 100% follow the input signal even it is stopped, or continuous output the previous signal when RPi currently stop signal at pause or stop mode. With this now feature, your issue will be solved. Please just no worries.

Ian

Hi Ian!

Accusilicon clocks put out signal now- but theres another problem:

It only works well with for example 24bit 96khz and 24bit 192khz- with 16 bit 44.1khz it outputs 39,2 khz and with

24bit 48khz it outputs 42,7khz.

Very strange ;- ) Is there a solution from your side?

Greetingz, Robert

Hi Roberto1969,

I myself use the Accusilicon with Q7 everyday without this kind of issue. I use Volumio. What software do you use?
Can you send a picture of your system to my email to see if I can help to address this issue?
iancanada.mail@gmail.com

Hi @iancanada

Single shutdown switch

I have been looking at your new ShieldPi Pro and especially the safe shutdown of raspberry Pi function.
Is the any way to combine this with your LifePO4 mkII and the station Pi Pro?
So pressing a single button will shutdown the raspberry pi and then turn off the LifePO4l
I can't quite figure this, due to the fact that the LifePO4 requires a 1-2 sec. press to shutdown/turn off, or could the J15 of the LifePO4 be used instead as on/off signal?.
Could this be combined with the not ready J15 ac/dc input of the stationPi pro? Or would the ATX power management board of audiophonics be of any use: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-...le-for-raspberry-pi-preassembled-p-11125.html

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Hi @iancanada

Single shutdown switch

I have been looking at your new ShieldPi Pro and especially the safe shutdown of raspberry Pi function.
So pressing a single button will shutdown the raspberry pi and then turn off the LifePO4l
I can't quite figure this, due to the fact that the LifePO4 requires a 1-2 sec. press to shutdown/turn off, or could the J15 of the LifePO4 be used instead as on/off signal?.
Could this be combined with the not ready J15 ac/dc input of the stationPi pro? Or would the ATX power management board of audiophonics be of any use: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-...le-for-raspberry-pi-preassembled-p-11125.html

Yes, ShieldPi Pro can be used to turn on/off the LifePO4 power supply. I'll try it in my system and get back to you.

Ian

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @iancanada

Single shutdown switch

Hi Miklau,

I just did a test last night to double confirm:

The ShiledPi Pro safe shutdown of raspberry Pi function can control the ON/OFF of a external LifePO4 power supply.
It works like a charm, turn on/off of the external power supply exactly at the moment of safe shutdown or power on.
This function of ShieldPiPro is not only for the LifePO4 power supply, but also for the LinearPi, LifePO4 Mini, UcPure and all of my power supplies with the isolated control chains. It can also control multiple power supplies as a group.

I'm trying to post some pictures showing the connections and details later.

Ian

Hi Miklau,

I just did a test last night to double confirm:

The ShiledPi Pro safe shutdown of raspberry Pi function can control the ON/OFF of a external LifePO4 power supply.
It works like a charm, turn on/off of the external power supply exactly at the moment of safe shutdown or power on.
This function of ShieldPiPro is not only for the LifePO4 power supply, but also for the LinearPi, LifePO4 Mini, UcPure and all of my power supplies with the isolated control chains. It can also control multiple power supplies as a group.

I'm trying to post some pictures showing the connections and details later.

Ian
Thanks for testing this Ian :)

I'm using the LifePO4 to power the raspberry pi. In that case wouldn't I only be able to power off the LifePO4 using the save shutdown, since the power is cut off to the shieldpi pro and everthing else attached to the lifePO4?
Could the shieldPi Pro be suppled with a single separate small power supply, only to be able to send the turn on/off signal to the LifePO4 (and in my case the raspberry pi and audio stack)?

Another question regarding the shieldPi Pro; since I'm using the StaionPi pro, is the shieldPi pro then needless since I already have an EMI shield? Or would the added power filter benefit the raspberry even through I'm using a FifoPi ultimate with isolator?

Regards Mikkel

@miklau

Please no worries. The LifePO4 power supply is a smart design. It has an 5V continuous mode. When enabled, the RaspberryPi will still have the 5V power even the rest voltage rails are off after a safe shutdown. So, with StationPi Pro, it can safely turn off all of the power supplies except RPi 5V when perform this safe shutdown function.

This function can also apply to LifePO4 Mini, UcPure, and LinearPi. The control chains are optical isolated, so it doesn't affect the sound quality.

It's not a must for StationPi Pro, but as a power filter, a ShieldPi Pro still helps.

@miklau

Please no worries. The LifePO4 power supply is a smart design. It has an 5V continuous mode. When enabled, the RaspberryPi will still have the 5V power even the rest voltage rails are off after a safe shutdown. So, with StationPi Pro, it can safely turn off all of the power supplies except RPi 5V when perform this safe shutdown function.

This function can also apply to LifePO4 Mini, UcPure, and LinearPi. The control chains are optical isolated, so it doesn't affect the sound quality.

It's not a must for StationPi Pro, but as a power filter, a ShieldPi Pro still helps.
Once again Ian you have thought of everthing :) Thanks

@iancanada
Another question regarding the StationPi Pro. I am using a RPI 3B+ and once fitted to the daughter board of the stationPi pro the HDMI port is just next to a capacitor. The electrolytic capacitor is of 330uf and 16v and sits next to the 20 pin amanero connector. Could I remove this without any problems? I would like to make som test with an external display and therefor require the HDMI port...
Would adding the shieldPi pro lift the raspberry up and away from the capacitor?

I am using the onboard LifePO4 5v 2A PS to power the raspberry and via the jumper settings J9 on StationPi, also to power the FiFoPi and was wondering what benefit is there to use a good power supply to the "dirty" side of the FifoPi?

@miklau

You can remove the capacitor without any problem. I didn't try ShiledPi Pro with StationPi pro, buy you can try it to see if any problem. Or, taller standoffs may help.
Thanks Ian :)

I made an ordre just 2 weeks before you released ShieldPi pro, so unfortunately I haven't got the ShieldPi pro to try to see if it fits the StationPi pro...
I will maybe try to see if I can somehow add the safe shutdown to my DAC build.

Does the ShieldPi Pro cut off power to the RPi at Pin 2 + 4 on the 40Pin GPIO when ready to shutdown safe?

Regards Mikkel

Thanks Ian :)

I made an ordre just 2 weeks before you released ShieldPi pro, so unfortunately I haven't got the ShieldPi pro to try to see if it fits the StationPi pro...
I will maybe try to see if I can somehow add the safe shutdown to my DAC build.

Does the ShieldPi Pro cut off power to the RPi at Pin 2 + 4 on the 40Pin GPIO when ready to shutdown safe?

Regards Mikkel

We can not cut off the 5V RPi power supply after a safe shutdown, otherwise you will not perform a safe power on. The power consumption will be very low after shutdown so no worries.

Ian

@Ian,

I'm finally getting to use some of your other boards with my StationPi Pro board. I ran out of vertical height with my first design enclosure, but now I have plenty of room for stacking. :) Just want to confirm that the image below represents the proper order of building up the audio side with various boards - with everything stacked on top of the FiFoPi board. At least that's what I've noticed with many of the images in your documentation.

StationPi Audio Side Order.jpg

@Ian,

I'm finally getting to use some of your other boards with my StationPi Pro board. I ran out of vertical height with my first design enclosure, but now I have plenty of room for stacking. :) Just want to confirm that the image below represents the proper order of building up the audio side with various boards - with everything stacked on top of the FiFoPi board. At least that's what I've noticed with many of the images in your documentation.

View attachment 1114966
@redjr

ReceiverPi need to be installed to the Pi side under the daughter board. It would be better to use ReceiverPi Pro for StationPi Pro.

Ian