Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi

I have a thought regarding the (good) idea about keeping the PSU in one metal chassis and the DAC unit in another: How about the chassis ground? The PSU unit will have its IEC plug grounded to the chassis of course, but what about the DAC chassis? If the secondary windings from the PSU unit connects to the DAC box the chassis ground will be lost. Or should one simply carry over the chassis ground from the PSU chassis to the other chassis with a cable? The XLR pin 1 should be chassis grounded, and without the ground wire between the boxes there will be no proper chassis ground.
I'm doing the same. I will have a shielded umbilical to connect the two metal chassis together. At the power side I'll have all the AC transformers installed. That chassis will be grounded. The umbilical shielding will be connected to that ground. My plan is to carry that ground to the second chassis where the DAC is.

Or, you can put a ground stud on the back panel and connect that to ground

I'm doing the same. I will have a shielded umbilical to connect the two metal chassis together. At the power side I'll have all the AC transformers installed. That chassis will be grounded. The umbilical shielding will be connected to that ground. My plan is to carry that ground to the second chassis where the DAC is.

Or, you can put a ground stud on the back panel and connect that to ground
Which enclosure(s) are you guys using? I need to find something that can house UCPure quad.

Hi All,
I'm looking at building a DDC (which includes streaming) with Ian components.
the configuration would be the following :

2 stacks on top of a StationPI SMT

A Raspberry would be on his own the raspberry side of the station
On the audio Hats , I would have from bottom to top :
Receiver PI DDC ( With Amanero)
FifoPi Q7II
TransportPi AES

and all of this would be powered by a PurePi - LinearPI Solo Combo , outside of the Station SMT

Would this work ?
there is this remark in the manual , that says that when a raspberry
is in the mix, the receiverpi ddc needs to be installed to the GPIO of the raspberry pi

Thanks

Which enclosure(s) are you guys using? I need to find something that can house UCPure quad.
I'm building a custom enclosure using panels from Front Panel Express. I wanted to get everything in one box (including seven UC Pure supplies with fourteen 3000F caps) and didn't want the box to be any bigger than absolutely necessary (it's already going to be fairly large at 489mm W x 401mm D x 185mm H). Much bigger and it wouldn't fit on my rack.

I've used enclosures from Modushop for some of my builds and these are an excellent value particularly since they are willing to do custom machining, but there are limitations in enclosure dimensions and panel thickness. On the other hand, you can get a pretty decent enclosure for WAY less than doing a custom Front Panel Express enclosure.

Reactions: 2 users
'm building a custom enclosure using panels from Front Panel Express. I wanted to get everything in one box (including seven UC Pure supplies with fourteen 3000F caps) and didn't want the box to be any bigger than absolutely necessary (it's already going to be fairly large at 489mm W x 401mm D x 185mm H). Much bigger and it wouldn't fit on my rack.
Front Panel Express looks interesting. What thickness and matrial are you using? For Chassis grounding can the material be aluminium?

@NeoTheOne - I'm using a 10mm front panel, 8 mm bottom panel, 5mm back and top panels, and sandwiched side panels which equal 10mm total. The sandwiched side panels are mostly for aesthetics to match the look of my preamp (see photo below). The inner side panel is 6mm and the outer panel is 4mm.

PRE3_Build19.jpg

There are also a number of internal panels that range from 2mm to 5mm. I have some custom brackets to hold the UCPure supplies and mounting plates for the transformer. The custom transformer plates are design to provide sorbothane dampening to the chassis.

Similar to my preamp, there is a divider that spans the width that separates the front panel from the rest of the circuitry. I have a RPi4 with 7" touchscreen,, IsolatorPi, and HDMIPi Mk II mounted to the back of the front panel.

There is a separate enclosed sub-chassis (basically another enclosure built using 3-5mm panels) that houses the ReceiverPi DDC, FifoPi Q7, HdmiPi Pro II, ESS DAC, and OPA861, so the front-panel mounted streamer communicates using I2S over HDMI to the DDC/DAC. The separate sub-chassis provides both electrical shielding and mechanical isolation from the main chassis.

I like using powder-coated panels for my builds since they look nice and are much more scratch resistant so I'm less likely to damage the panels during construction. But all the panels are electrically connected so provide good chassis grounding.

I'm still working on the enclosure design so I've only had a couple of the panels fabricated so far.

I just finished assembling my power controller board which will mount under the Toroidy transformer. This provides a soft start, low-voltage connection to lighted push-button front panel power switch, and power sequencing for the power supplies to make sure the DAC is powered up after the FifoPi and the RPI4 is powered up after the IsolatorPi.

DS_PwrCntr1.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Pi Metal Products Inc., 1717 Pennsylvania Ave, Linden, NJ 07036. Phone: (201) 955-0800
http://par-metal.com/

They will make the 20 series desktop case in any size you want. I order 2 17"x14"x4" alodine coated and powder coated on top of that for $90 a piece plus shipping. It was under $200 shipped for two cases. I would send them an email to quote a 20 series in the size you want. I'm thinking those quad ones need 7" in height at least I would think.

I would've loved to use front panel express. The one time I built a case it came out to like $400 for a small desktop headphone amp so I didn't even try with a bigger case.

Reactions: 1 users
@NeoTheOne - thanks. Front Panel Express has free software for panel design which is pretty easy to use but the files can only be used to have them fabricate the panels.

As @sbelyo mentioned, FPE is not cheap. The enclosures I build cost several thousand dollars, so if you’re on a budget, you’re better off sticking with Modushop or another low cost supplier. Although I did build one enclosure where I used a combination of Modushop parts and a couple of FPE panels for the front and back panel which was a bit more cost effective.

Reactions: 1 users
Does it make sense to pot a O core transformer, or not?
I can see it make sense if you don't compartmentalize the enclosure.
Looking at how Holo Audio does it in a Spring, for example, there is a wall between the PSU part and the input/output/DAC part.

Also, still not sure what specifications to order.
If I am looking at two times 5V and one time 3V required, I would think 9V would be OK.
But the VA part is really beyond me. Never got that part apart that I know VA = Volt * Ampère.
But I see people with very high VA for pretty much the same use case as mine, and I have no clue anymore.

Say I would go with 5A each, that should be more than plenty, would that be 65VA total or am I wrong in my thinking?
I am hoping someone is still able to shed a light on this.

HI! My name is Matteo and I'm new to the forum and I'm writing from Italy! It's very nice to read and see your projects and your experience!! I don't speak English, sorry! and I'm not as good as you, but I'm a music lover and would like to finally build a streamer and DAC with Ian Canada modules too! I hope you can help me and give me advice!? I wrote to Ian via email,@iancanada I read a lot on the forum and with @Gabster 2000 YouTube videos I tried to understand what my initial configuration could be while also trying to be economical. then in the future when I have the chance I will update! the base is RPI 4 receiver ddc (for TV and film) Fifopi q7 Dac ess9038 and I/V kit lundahl 1544a. I read however that it would be better to separate the rpi4 alone due to the noise, so what should I do.!? rpi4 - IsolatorPi 3 - hdmipi and connect hdmi cable to ddc receiver right.!? I need the Pipro monitor because I need the volume controller (my tube amplifier doesn't have the volume) and I would also like to install an original 7-inch Rpi monitor for volume. what should I use for power at the moment to start using it.!? I have one at the shanti. the purepi ii.!? I hope you can help me set up my hifi. Thanks and sorry for the English Google Translator

Reactions: 1 user
@Matteoleon Nice to meet you. @Gabster 2000 videos are very very good. I watch them over and over to get familiar with the modules. My advice is to start simple but not too simple so that you wind up buying modules you won't use in the future.

I would keep the Pi separate with a 90C project kit but it will cost a bit more in the end. With this you still need to build the DAC.
https://iancanada.ca/products/inexp...se-streaming-transport?variant=47594753786156

Or you can get the 97B, it does everything you want and it's only $408. It does not separate the Pi though
https://iancanada.ca/products/audio...ood-sound-quality-dacs?variant=48267200692524

@sbelyo thank you so much for your answer! the 97b kit is not good for me. The DDC receiver is missing (I need it to optically connect the TV and coaxially a CD player) and the transformer kit does not have the Lundahl 1544 and I only have to take the kit and then solder it myself. the 90C solution could also work well but in this case wouldn't it be better to use hdmipi instead of digital transport!? I would only use Rpi's I2S with software volumio and Qobuz tidal! and use Fifopi q7 over the ddc in the Dac

I'm definitely doing something wrong! Excuse me! however I can spend more than 400 dollars😃. I have a budget of around 7/800 dollars to leave. excluding rasp and 1544 transformers which I already have ready. and I would like to buy from Ian hoping that customs charges in Italy are not high