Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Joined 2021
Paid Member
I've used this source https://www.showmecables.com/by-category/bulk-wire-cable/tray-cable for multi-conductor shielded cables. They offer a variety of gauges and conductor counts. I've also used the aviation connectors that @Gabster 2000 referenced, but I've found there are more options on ebay than amazon.
Another good source for connectors is LEMO, pricy yup BUT the gold standard in pro audio and in many industries: https://www.lemo.com/solutions

FWIW Thats the DC link Holo audio is using in their May DAC https://www.lemo.com/int_en/solutions/redel/redel-p-push-pull.html
Image 35.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is excellent Doede. Can you explain the switch control please? I suspect its hard to manually solder those uFL connectors or did you use a company to do that?

I see a double stacked DAC PCBs, could you share how you are powering them?
Hi Simon,

basically it is a 3-pole 2-way switch if you will. One UF/L output and two inputs with different mechanical connectors (pins and UF/L)

I solder the SMD parts with solder paste and a SMD hot air system. But… the UF/L are also relatively easy to solder with a normal small tip solder iron

Does it make sense to pot a O core transformer, or not?
I can see it make sense if you don't compartmentalize the enclosure.
Looking at how Holo Audio does it in a Spring, for example, there is a wall between the PSU part and the input/output/DAC part.

Also, still not sure what specifications to order.
If I am looking at two times 5V and one time 3V required, I would think 9V would be OK.
But the VA part is really beyond me. Never got that part apart that I know VA = Volt * Ampère.
But I see people with very high VA for pretty much the same use case as mine, and I have no clue anymore.

Say I would go with 5A each, that should be more than plenty, would that be 65VA total or am I wrong in my thinking?

12V configuration for UcPure MkII/MkIII

UcPure with 3000F ultra capacitors could be the best low noise power supply in the real world. I know a lot of people want a 12V configuration to upgrade their DDDAC, So the solution is here:

1. Replace S2 with a 390K 0603 resistor, can be RT0603DRE07390KL
2. Keep S4 OPEN
3. Replace S6 with 232K 0603 resistor, can be RR0816P-2323-D-36D

Under this configuration, the UcPure will be:
12.6V: fully charged
10.3V: Trigger the protection mode to re-charge the UCs
12.33V: Back to pure mode when reach this voltage

Please make sure all the voltages are correct before connecting to your DAC if you want to change to this configuration.
Hi @iancanada is it possible to change the version 1 UcPure please so that it can output 12v?

Sorry for any confusion......Its my understanding it can be any version and Ian just updated the MK3 manual as the latest offering. He uses resistors to select the 3.3, 5 or 12V which is the same theory over all the versions. The newer versions just deliver new features and not changing the core workings as I understand it

Just keep in mind not all equipment or DACs running at 12 Volt will work fine at 10-11 Volt for example. The trigger point at 10.3 volt is pretty low for some applications. For my dddac it will not work properly. At all time you need 12 - 12,5 Volt. Just saying. For the MK3 version, it might be a good fit, as it is fed with 9 Volt. in This case you must configure it to run between 8.5 V and 9.5 Volt

I have a question about Clock fan out. The current FifoPi Q7 has 2 MLCK U.FL ports which means you have have two outputs from it. But if we wanted more outputs with as low jitters a possible, does any such solution exists?
The use case here is that, I would like to use the FifoPi Q7 for bot Dac and Streamer. I would like to be able use the dual mono dac, the TransportPi AES and HDMI Pro all in parallel. But can only either run TransportPi AES or HDMI pro currently with the dual mono dac.

Hi

I have a thought regarding the (good) idea about keeping the PSU in one metal chassis and the DAC unit in another: How about the chassis ground? The PSU unit will have its IEC plug grounded to the chassis of course, but what about the DAC chassis? If the secondary windings from the PSU unit connects to the DAC box the chassis ground will be lost. Or should one simply carry over the chassis ground from the PSU chassis to the other chassis with a cable? The XLR pin 1 should be chassis grounded, and without the ground wire between the boxes there will be no proper chassis ground.