Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

@Jaytor

It was a fun winter project and I learned a lot.
Subjectively
It was the best sounding ESS dac I’ve heard……..but still an Ess.
My main dac/Streamer is the Gustard A26. After a solid month of burn in and comparison the A26 just has more refinement and better bass.
The Ian Canada has laser like detail, crisp and clean.
But the A26 just has a higher end sound.
for me, ian's set is primarily Fifopi... I use it to have a high quality i2s signal that I can feed my dacs... Ess is just an add-on... which I don't use. but for me improving raw i2s from Rpi or et-3 is unbeatable...

Reactions: 1 users

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2024-03-31 om 12.00.06.png
    Schermafbeelding 2024-03-31 om 12.00.06.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 29
for me, ian's set is primarily Fifopi... I use it to have a high quality i2s signal that I can feed my dacs... Ess is just an add-on... which I don't use. but for me improving raw i2s from Rpi or et-3 is unbeatable...
No doubt this is a great reclocking option for those into Rpi streaming. Personally streaming I2S/USB audio no longer interests me. So moving on to better network dacs is all.

Hmmm... the point is : there is no such a thing like "network dac" ... it is dac (still with i2s input) with Lan input module and "Lan audio " signal is always converted to i2s... inside the box called " network dac" so, you always will "streaming i2s" whatever input data format will be - for DAC chip it must be i2s.... :)

Reactions: 1 user
@sernikus Exactly it’s converted inside the dac and travels mm to the Dac.
It’s not a meter away in a different box with its own power supply, traveling a length of cable with no galvanic isolation.
So in my case the streamer and reclocker section of the IanCanada are wonderful, I wish the dac was better.
I have no interest in an external streamer component to feed a better dac.
Not when there are better solutions available.

@sernikus yes please do.
Whatever point you were trying to make has nothing to do with my original comment, nor was I speaking about internal dac langauge. I am personally no longer interested in streaming audio from an external streamer via usb/i2s.
Thats not why I came to build the Ian Canada or even the parts I purchased for my build.
If there was a better sounding dac module offered than I wouldn’t have sold my build.

I use the same kind, also with a 1 second delay.
I use it with a PCM 1794 DAC. If I don't do this, it sometimes happens that the DAC plays slowly with a kind of delay.
other type of dac without delay it is just fine.
I read that part as well. I'm going to try it first with two 5V UcPure connected to the dirty and clean side of the StaionPi just to get it working. That's been reported to work just fine as long as you use the switch controls.

After that I'll use one UcPure connected to the dirty side of the StaionPi and share it with the clean side. Then I'll power the DAC and clean side of the FiFoPi with their own 3.3V UcPure supplies. We'll see what happens

I will be pleasantly surprised if the ES9038Q2M sounds better (to me in my system) than my current Denafrips Terminator Plus, but I do expect that, as a streamer, my build will be at least as good, and more reliable, than my Sonore Signature Rendu SE. I'm adding the DAC modules so I have an alternate sound source to compare, but I'm really building this as a test bed to try other DAC technologies.

I think by dedicating four UcPure supplies for the DAC and I/V, along with good clocks, shielding and vibration control, I'll be able to hear what the ES9038Q2M is capable of, and also have a state-of-the-art platform to apply to other DAC technologies.

I haven't decided what direction to take beyond this. If any high quality balanced DAC HATs come out using the latest ESS or AKM chipsets, I'll probably give them a try. Other possibilities are the DDDAC Mk3 when released, or designing my own board using the latest AKM chips.

It was the best sounding ESS dac I’ve heard……..but still an Ess.
My main dac/Streamer is the Gustard A26. After a solid month of burn in and comparison the A26 just has more refinement and better bass.
The Ian Canada has laser like detail, crisp and clean.
But the A26 just has a higher end sound.
It was interesting to read about your experience. Eventually, it all boils down to what suits us best in our systems.

My experience with Gustard A26 is the opposite. It was tempting for me to have everything in one box. The streamer inside A26 is a great idea. Using LAN (internal streamer) A26 sounds excellent. So, overall, as a complete, ready-made product, it is an excellent choice at its price. My setup sounded better when A26 was fed with I2S over HDMI from Ian's steamer (SC-Pure clocks) than its built-in streamer. It is not a day-and-night difference, but it was better enough for me to skip the built-in steamer eventually.

Ultimately, I sold A26 because Ian's Dual Mono ES9038Q2M sounds much better in my system. There are, however, several differences between our DAC parts. The differences are:
  • SC-Pure Clocks, which are damped with Sorbothane pads. (SC-Pure clocks have been a noticeable improvement, and damping the vibration was a similar improvement to installing the SC-Pure clocks themselves).
  • Each power supply input of ES9038Q2M is powered individually (especially other inputs are isolated from DVCC)
  • The UcPure power supply for FiFoPi Q7 is separated from ES9038Q2M
  • OPA861 board supplied with a high-quality power supply. The LinearPi is OK but far from delivering the quality at which the OPA861 I/V can sound.

@camrector - I don't know how much difference the UcPure supplies, four separate supplies for the DACs and I/V, or the SC-Pure clocks will make, and as I said, I'll be pleasantly surprised if it is comparable to my R2R DAC. Every system (and ear) is different as well. My high frequency hearing isn't what it used to be, so for me, it's mostly about vocal purity, dynamics, soundstaging, and deep bad response (my speakers play down into the teens).

I also own an Auralic Vegs G2 which uses the ESS chips and I'm pretty impressed with how this sounds. Not as good as my Terminator Plus, but pretty nice. And the power supply in this unit is no where near as sophisticated as the Ian Canada system I'm building. So we'll see.

Last edited:
It was interesting to read about your experience. Eventually, it all boils down to what suits us best in our systems.

My experience with Gustard A26 is the opposite. It was tempting for me to have everything in one box. The streamer inside A26 is a great idea. Using LAN (internal streamer) A26 sounds excellent. So, overall, as a complete, ready-made product, it is an excellent choice at its price. My setup sounded better when A26 was fed with I2S over HDMI from Ian's steamer (SC-Pure clocks) than its built-in streamer. It is not a day-and-night difference, but it was better enough for me to skip the built-in steamer eventually.

Ultimately, I sold A26 because Ian's Dual Mono ES9038Q2M sounds much better in my system. There are, however, several differences between our DAC parts. The differences are:
  • SC-Pure Clocks, which are damped with Sorbothane pads. (SC-Pure clocks have been a noticeable improvement, and damping the vibration was a similar improvement to installing the SC-Pure clocks themselves).
  • Each power supply input of ES9038Q2M is powered individually (especially other inputs are isolated from DVCC)
  • The UcPure power supply for FiFoPi Q7 is separated from ES9038Q2M
  • OPA861 board supplied with a high-quality power supply. The LinearPi is OK but far from delivering the quality at which the OPA861 I/V can sound.

Totally get it. The A26 has differently qualities for sure. Using Hqplayer and upsampling to DSD changes the entire sound signature of the A26 for the better.
People love Ess and my statements about it are my own subjective observations. But I was done “polishing the turd” that is ESS lol.
For the amount of upgrades in clocks and powersupplies just to make the ESS comparable to a ready built dac that can actually do dsd direct and the highest sample rates, is kinda silly.
I would totally do another build when a better dac option presents itself.

@camrector - I don't know how much difference the UcPure supplies, four separate supplies for the DACs and I/V, or the SC-Pure clocks will make, and as I said, I'll be pleasantly surprised if it is comparable to my R2R DAC. Every system (and ear) is different as well. My high frequency hearing isn't what it used to be, so for me, it's mostly about vocal purity, dynamics, soundstaging, and deep bad response (my speakers play down into the teens).

I also own an Auralic Vegs G2 which uses the ESS chips and I'm pretty impressed with how this sounds. Not as good as my Terminator Plus, but pretty nice. And the power supply in this unit is no where near as sophisticated as the Ian Canada system I'm building. So we'll see.

I noticed the lack of bass depth and weight the most with the ESS dac compared to the A26. That was something I didn’t want to give up for more forward and exaggerated highs. My system is -3db at 20hz.

@camrector Sorry your IanC DAC build didn't prove to have the expectations you sought. Hope it wasn't related to my help and guidance. ;)

I have to say, it's been my experience that Ian's platform of implementing any type of DAC/Streamer combo is as varied, as there are the enthusiast's building them. I've already built 4 systems, all with a different combo of his available kits. I can say unequivocally, that just about any combo of his kit, compares very favorably with equally priced commercially gear. In some cases they likely surpass it. And, I'm not talking about stratospheric gear like, a Moon Audio streamer for $12K. But, likewise, most of us who have supported Ian's products, have not so because we wanted something inexpensive. I think most would agree, the price of entry is not cheap. But, while Ian has done the hard stuff - from concept, through design, and implementation of his product lines - the final stage is left up to us for what we want to include in our various project builds. And, there are soooooo many choices. While the music may be the end result of what we seek, it's the kit building journey, of selecting, swapping, tweaking, fiddling, layout, moving, testing, changing, and so on that we love. In hopes, that we get just a little bit closer to feeling, and enjoying the music, and approach our own nirvana state in a way that is personally satisfying.

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry noob alert: I can't help but wonder with all this streamer only option with ESS being ruled out; why would the streamer and FIFo Pi with SC clocks matter if the external DAC re-clocks it anyway? I am only asking because I love this thread and looking to build one. Keep it up all. @camrector thanks for inspiring me.
The amount a DAC will benefit from a high quality streamer will depend on the DAC's particular approach to jitter reduction and reclocking, but I haven't heard a DAC yet that didn't benefit from a quality streamer. And this includes my own Terminator Plus and a friend's DCS Rosinni. The cleaner and purer the signal going in, the easier job the DAC has, and the less noise that ends up propagating to the audio output.

I noticed an improvement (particular in soundstage width and depth) going from a Sonore microRendu to a Sonore Signature Rendu SE with my Terminator Plus, and the main difference between these is the quality of the power supply.

Last edited: