Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi all, hi @iancanada

Not sure if this is the right spot to post my question/issue. I have started to build a streamer/transport a while back with Ian's module. Recently I've also ordered 2 UcConditioners and a StationPi Pro. What I have so far: StationPi Pro, RPI 4B with RoPieeeXL, TransportPi Digi (with Accusilicon AS318B 45Mhz and 49Mhz), 2x LinearPi (5v for SPI and 3.3v for TransportPi) + 2x UcConditioner with Maxwell supercaps to power the Station/RPI and TransportPi. All of these are powered by an MPAudio audio grade transformer 6VAC / 60VA.

Everything went well and I am very satisfied of the performance of the Transport Pi Digi and the power supplies with the Transport mounted on top of the RPI.

When I've mounted the RPI and Transport on the station I can see the endpoint in Roon, I can stream to it, but the time cursour doesn't look like it's actually playing. When I power everything up, all leds light up correctly even the red light in the SPDIF optical output of the transport. But as soon as I play one track in Roon, the XO led lights up respective to the Fs of the track, the red light in the optical connector goes off and no digital signal comes out so no sound. If I change to a track with a different Fs the same XO stays lit, doesn't change to the other one and still no sound.

Does anyone what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I might upgrade to FifoPiQ7 + TransportPI MKii but I'm not sure I want to make that financial effort right now and still want to make what I have work correctly before I upgrade and sell the Transport Digi.

About E, how to power this the best ? I would see these combinations:

3.1 lifepo4 mini 6.6v for raspberry pi, lifepo4 mini 3.3V for fifopi, lifepo4 mini 3.3v for transportpi
Wrong, can not power a Rpi by 6.6V

3.2 purepi for raspberrypi and fifopi, another lifepo4 for transport pi
Good option

3.3 ucpure 5v for raspberrypi (lifepo4 for the other stages: fifopi and transportpi)
No good. No need UcPure for RPi.

3.4 ucpi for raspberrypi (lifepo4 for the other stages: fifopi and transportpi)
Good.

3.5 ucconditioner for raspberry pi
OK

4. ucmateconditioner pi can charge multiple lifepo4 mini ?
No recommended

My suggests for power supply solutions:

1. For light project: PurePi

2. For mid scale project: LinearPi 5V with UcConditioner 5V for Rpi, LifePO4 Mini 3.3V for FifoPi clean side and the rest.

3. For top project: LinearPi 5V with UcConditioner 5V for Rpi, UcPure 3000F 3.3V for FifoPi clean side and the rest.
Thank you Ian.

Could I get some advice on this setup?
Is this the best usage of the LIFEP04 Batteries PSU?

IAN CANADA OPA861 fully Balanced Zero Feedback I/V Stage
IAN CANADA LINEARPI DUAL Ultra-Low Noise Linear Power Supply Module +/-5V 2.5A
2x IAN CANADA UCCONDITIONER Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Board 5V
Toroidal Transformer 30VA 1x6V 5A

IAN CANADA Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT Raspberry Pi / I2S & SPDIF / PCM DSD
PSU 3x 3.3v from Batteries PSU

IAN CANADA FIFOPI Q7 Synchronous FIFO Reclocker Board I2S
PSU 1x 3.3v from Batteries PSU

RASPBERRY PI 4 MODEL B RAM 2Gb Micro HDMI Ethernet Gigabit WiFi Bluetooth 5.0 4x USB 1.5GHz

IAN CANADA RECEIVERPI PRO Interface SPDIF I2S HDMI
PSU 1x 5v from Batteries PSU

IAN CANADA STATIONPI PRO Raspberry Pi and HAT Boards Adapter Station
2x IAN CANADA LINEARPI SOLO Ultra-Low Noise Linear Power Supply Module 5V 2.5A

IAN CANADA LIFEPO4 MKIII Batteries Power Supply 4 x 3.3V + 5V
10 x A123 SYSTEMS Rechargeable Battery LifePO4 26650 3.3V 2500mAh (Unit)
1 x IAN CANADA UCMATECONDITIONER Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Board for LifePO4 MKIII 5V

12v laptop supply for batteries?

Does this make sense?

Hi all, hi @iancanada

Not sure if this is the right spot to post my question/issue. I have started to build a streamer/transport a while back with Ian's module. Recently I've also ordered 2 UcConditioners and a StationPi Pro. What I have so far: StationPi Pro, RPI 4B with RoPieeeXL, TransportPi Digi (with Accusilicon AS318B 45Mhz and 49Mhz), 2x LinearPi (5v for SPI and 3.3v for TransportPi) + 2x UcConditioner with Maxwell supercaps to power the Station/RPI and TransportPi. All of these are powered by an MPAudio audio grade transformer 6VAC / 60VA.

Everything went well and I am very satisfied of the performance of the Transport Pi Digi and the power supplies with the Transport mounted on top of the RPI.

When I've mounted the RPI and Transport on the station I can see the endpoint in Roon, I can stream to it, but the time cursour doesn't look like it's actually playing. When I power everything up, all leds light up correctly even the red light in the SPDIF optical output of the transport. But as soon as I play one track in Roon, the XO led lights up respective to the Fs of the track, the red light in the optical connector goes off and no digital signal comes out so no sound. If I change to a track with a different Fs the same XO stays lit, doesn't change to the other one and still no sound.

Does anyone what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I might upgrade to FifoPiQ7 + TransportPI MKii but I'm not sure I want to make that financial effort right now and still want to make what I have work correctly before I upgrade and sell the Transport Digi.
Hi Zangalucian,

I would suggest get started with Volumio. Please first make sure everything is good. Normally they are software setup issues.

Ian

Could I get some advice on this setup?
Is this the best usage of the LIFEP04 Batteries PSU?

IAN CANADA OPA861 fully Balanced Zero Feedback I/V Stage
IAN CANADA LINEARPI DUAL Ultra-Low Noise Linear Power Supply Module +/-5V 2.5A

IAN CANADA Dual Mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT Raspberry Pi / I2S & SPDIF / PCM DSD
PSU 3x 3.3v from Batteries PSU

IAN CANADA FIFOPI Q7 Synchronous FIFO Reclocker Board I2S
PSU 1x 3.3v from Batteries PSU

RASPBERRY PI 4 MODEL B RAM 2Gb Micro HDMI Ethernet Gigabit WiFi Bluetooth 5.0 4x USB 1.5GHz

IAN CANADA RECEIVERPI PRO Interface SPDIF I2S HDMI
PSU 1x 5v from Batteries PSU

IAN CANADA STATIONPI PRO Raspberry Pi and HAT Boards Adapter Station
2x IAN CANADA LINEARPI SOLO Ultra-Low Noise Linear Power Supply Module 5V 2.5A

IAN CANADA LIFEPO4 MKIII Batteries Power Supply 4 x 3.3V + 5V
10 x A123 SYSTEMS Rechargeable Battery LifePO4 26650 3.3V 2500mAh (Unit)
1 x IAN CANADA UCMATECONDITIONER Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Board for LifePO4 MKIII 5V

12v laptop supply for batteries?

Does this make sense?
Hi Mikeh2022,

If you use the LifePO4 power supply, I would suggest use the standard 18.5V laptop power adapter. Better then the 12V to work with.

Ian

Try to improve R-2R Holo Spring3 sound quality by HdmiPiPro/FifoPiQ7 DDC (2)

After break-in the Spring3 for more than a week, I started trying to improve it with my external HDMI streamer transport (kind of DDC). Here are the details.

Network streamer transport (DDC) setups:
  1. (#1D) FifoPiQ7 with default 45.1584/49.1520 MHz XOs
  2. (#17B) HdmiPiPro with 8K HDMI cable
  3. (#49A) MonitorPi (optional)
  4. (#48A) PurePi
  5. (#51A) Acrylic protection cover (optional)
  6. RaspberryPi 4B
Spring 3 R-2R DAC configuration:
  1. PLL: OFF
  2. HDMI: ALT2
Listening test configurations:
  1. B&W 802 D3 speakers
  2. Pass XA 160.5 pure class A mono block amplifiers
  3. Pass XP-10 Pre-Amplifier in balanced inputs/outputs
  4. PS Audio P20 PowerPlant

The first impression was pretty positive. The R-2R sound signature was still there. But the sound stage opened more than before. The instrument size becomes smaller and also focuses better. The micro details were also improved. However, the 3D image was still not as good as my Q7(with OCXO)/ES9038 Dual Mono/OPA861 DAC setup. So next, I’m gonna try to improve the power supplies and the XO clocks to see how much satisfaction I can get the most out of the Spring3.

Again, the listening test is just a kind of a subjective test. It is based on my own personal experiences. So it only stands my point of view. It would be reasonable if different people feel differently. If it is possible, try it by yourself and trust your ears.

Try to improve R-2R Holo Spring3 sound quality by HdmiPiPro/FifoPiQ7 DDC (1)
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...fight-the-jitter.192465/page-405#post-7220567

https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/blob/master/HDMIpi/HdmiPiPro/HdmiPiProManual.pdf
https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/blob/master/FifoPi/FifoPiQ7/FifoPiQ7Manual.pdf
https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/blob/master/MonitorPi/MonitorPi.pdf

HdmiPiProDDCListeningRoom by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Today my setup with FifoPi Q7 and HDMI Pro stopped outputting 44.1 kHz signals, other sampling frequencies seem fine. Here is what I tried.

- fresh install of Volumio, no change

- 88.2 and other multiples of the 44.1 family work fine. 96 and 192 Sample rates work fine. Only 44.1 is not working from what I can tell.

- I have two DACs with IIS inputs that I have used both this setup and my TransportDigi with. The TransportDigi works on both DACs at 44.1 via IIS, this one does not work on either setup at 44.1.

- The USB output on the same Pi will play 44.1 fine, only the IIS will not

- The Monitor Pi still reads 44.1 and the indicator lights up for the 44.1 clock on the Q7

- One of my DACs acts like it is getting the 44.1 clock, the other gives no signal indication, but no audio on either

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,

@bberkom

Seems your DAC doesn't support true 44.1KHz 16bit mode. But FifoPiQ7 has a solution. You can enable the FifoPiQ7 lossless 16 to 32 convert function to solve the problem.

Please read the FifoPiQ7 user's manual for details
https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/blob/master/FifoPi/FifoPiQ7/FifoPiQ7Manual.pdf

Ian
I figured it out just a minute ago, dang. Guess I hadn't listened to any 16/44.1 in a bit, must have toggled that when I was in the settings the other week and had to post to put it together. Thanks!

Hi All,

New to this forum, so a quick intro of my current setup:
-Switch: English electric
-Streamer: Sonos ZP Connect (Bluesound node 2 just died on me)
-DAC: Denafrips Ares 2 (connected via SPDIF to streamer)
-Integrated Amp: Kinki Studio EX M1+
-Speakers: Focal Kanta 2
-Power: separate audio group

So I stumbled upon this site as I researched replacing the power of the Bluesound node with the pd-creative board with allows for an external power supply. Reading some of the info here I am now interested into building a dedicated streamer using Ian Canada's products. So here is what I learned so far (please correct if anything is wrong or the info is already somewhere available on this site). My aim is to build a high quality streamer/DDC to feed the Denefrips Ares 2 dac

1. FifoPiQ7 with default 45.1584/49.1520 MHz XOs
  2. TransportPi MKII
  3. MonitorPi (optional)
  4. PurePi
  5. crylic protection cover (optional)
  6. RaspberryPi 4B
So my questions:
1. Is the transport Pi MKII the best option to feed the DAC (Denafrips Ares has no I2S input)
2. What is the best way to power this?

Thanks in advance!

edit: I just found this: https://github.com/iancanada/Docume...aCapacitorPowerSupply/PurePi/PurePiManual.pdf which seem to explain sufficiently. Only question I then have is relating to how to power the PurePi board? Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi All,

New to this forum, so a quick intro of my current setup:
-Switch: English electric
-Streamer: Sonos ZP Connect (Bluesound node 2 just died on me)
-DAC: Denafrips Ares 2 (connected via SPDIF to streamer)
-Integrated Amp: Kinki Studio EX M1+
-Speakers: Focal Kanta 2
-Power: separate audio group

So I stumbled upon this site as I researched replacing the power of the Bluesound node with the pd-creative board with allows for an external power supply. Reading some of the info here I am now interested into building a dedicated streamer using Ian Canada's products. So here is what I learned so far (please correct if anything is wrong or the info is already somewhere available on this site). My aim is to build a high quality streamer/DDC to feed the Denefrips Ares 2 dac

1. FifoPiQ7 with default 45.1584/49.1520 MHz XOs
  2. TransportPi MKII
  3. MonitorPi (optional)
  4. PurePi
  5. crylic protection cover (optional)
  6. RaspberryPi 4B
So my questions:
1. Is the transport Pi MKII the best option to feed the DAC (Denafrips Ares has no I2S input)
2. What is the best way to power this?

Thanks in advance!

edit: I just found this: https://github.com/iancanada/Docume...aCapacitorPowerSupply/PurePi/PurePiManual.pdf which seem to explain sufficiently. Only question I then have is relating to how to power the PurePi board? Thanks!
I have yet to build my system, as I am at the same steps as you (preparing the build), but to power the purepi, I would go for a Allo NIRVANA or SHANTI. Or to aim higher, as I intend to , a KECES P3. I think it will create a very good and stable feeding on the power side. Might be overkill though.

Hi Zangalucian,

I would suggest get started with Volumio. Please first make sure everything is good. Normally they are software setup issues.

Ian
Hi Ian,

So I've tried with Volumio today and the behaviour of the hardware is the same as originally reported while using RoPieeeXL. Sometimes it gives an error (Failed to open ALSA device Volumio. Device or resource busy), other times it just doesn't do anything when I hit play. This is when the RPI and transport digi are mounted on the Station Pi. I've attached pictures to show the setup.
I've made sure the hat is inserted correctly in the GPIO port on the station and also that under the hat there is no accidental touch with the GPIO pins.
The audio output configuration was I2S enabled and selected HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro. I've also tried Generic I2S dac but still no luck (I thought who knows).
Reset to factory settings, flash the sd card again, reboots between changing settings and so on.

What I've also tried again is Volumio, RoPieeeXL and DietPi with the transport digi mounted on the RPI correctly. Everything works perfectly like this.

J14 on station pi has no jumper (default) as I only have RPI installed, on the daughter board.

I'm out of ideas.

Attachments

• WithoutSPI-Working.jpeg
    WithoutSPI-Working.jpeg
    467.7 KB · Views: 189
  • WithSPI-NotWorking.jpeg
    WithSPI-NotWorking.jpeg
    612.2 KB · Views: 289
  • volumioPlaybackOptions.png
    volumioPlaybackOptions.png
    518.2 KB · Views: 172
  • volumioError.png
    volumioError.png
    677.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
@zangalucian

I see the issue and have a solution for you.

TransportPiDigi works in master mode, but StationPiPro works in SYNC mode (unless you remove the daughter board). So they can not work together.
If you really want this configuration, please use the new released #35C fully finished StationPi SMT
https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload

Ian

I have yet to build my system, as I am at the same steps as you (preparing the build), but to power the purepi, I would go for a Allo NIRVANA or SHANTI. Or to aim higher, as I intend to , a KECES P3. I think it will create a very good and stable feeding on the power side. Might be overkill though.
I saw this build by @iancanada :
. What I don't understand what is between the wall socket and the Lineairpi modules...

@zangalucian

I see the issue and have a solution for you.

TransportPiDigi works in master mode, but StationPiPro works in SYNC mode (unless you remove the daughter board). So they can not work together.
If you really want this configuration, please use the new released #35C fully finished StationPi SMT
https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload

Ian
Haha it was right there in my face, I didn't pay enough attention to the documentation :) Thanks very much for pointing it out Ian.
No I don't absolutely really want this configuration, just wanted to use it until I buy the next level transport and reclock modules. But since I got into the Ian Canada transport/dac game and I like it very much (very good performance with for the money), I might aswell do the upgrade sooner and order FifoPi Q7, Transport Pi Mk2 and a MonitorPi from Audiophonics.

I'll have to power both Fifo and Transport from the same 3.3v UcConditioner until I decide what I want to do next. I think it should provide enough performance, better than the TransportPiDigi.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again!

I saw this build by @iancanada :
. What I don't understand what is between the wall socket and the Lineairpi modules...
the wall between the two parts of the Station PI you mean? But yeah, I saw this video before, it a really good place to start to think about a build.
The linearpi module are linear PSU, that are perfect for powering the raps (through the 5V one), and a 3.3V module. You can use one or more, or go lifepi04 for battery power. that's how I understood it.

the wall between the two parts of the Station PI you mean? But yeah, I saw this video before, it a really good place to start to think about a build.
The linearpi module are linear PSU, that are perfect for powering the raps (through the 5V one), and a 3.3V module. You can use one or more, or go lifepi04 for battery power. that's how I understood it.
Nah I actually meant how to connect the torodial transformer via the power cord to the power wall socket. But reading a bit more, I lean towards the PurePi Ultracapacitor, which also functions as the base of the stack. Just wondering if there is any added value of using the Shanti's 3.3v output over the one from the PurePi...

Hello, a question;

When installing the Fifopi Q7 on top of a Shieldpi PRO on top of a RPI4.
What would be best to have most effect from the power filter on the Shieldpi pro: feeding the 5V via the Fifopi Q7 or via the RP4?

Main reason for choosing the Shieldpi pro in my case are: small surface area compared to stationpi pro AND possibility to safely shut down the RPI and PSU for other equipment in my DAC.

Reactions: 1 user