Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Very nice to see the Station Pi pro finished🙂 It looks very good 😊
I can see in the manual that it is possible to connect the FiFoPi Q3 to the station pi pro and use it with the 4D controller. I have the first edition of FiFoPi ultimate. Is it possible to work with the Q1 as well? Maybe with a FW update?
Regards

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
So, I disconnected my IO board from my DAC and now I want to reconnect it - but cant figure out where the thin block coax shuold go :-/

Maybe it is not needed at all looking att the docs...

Please help!?

//

Attachments

• reck.jpg
    reck.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 223
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
IF you have a circuit board with a cable plugged in it would be very strange if the other end would not be connected somewhere else. Usually there will be some " information" close to the terminal to tell you about the purpose.
Maybe the data transferred by the cable already is transferred by the flat cable and you can choose either one of them?
Yesterday i received the tiny " adapter circuit board" Ian designed to be used for the dddac motherboard. I soldered the 3 u.fl cables directly to the board but it is a real pain in the ... to do this properly when the board is not fully accessible!
Maybe better to remove the Dupont terminal and solder the wires after they have passed through the holes to mount the Dupont.
These tiny u.fl cables are not made for the average diy guy. IF Ian would not have designed this little jewel i would have used a few solid core wires and connect them to the big connector on the FIFOPI . Nice to have the best cable but if you cannot use it properly it doesnt make sense to me.
So now the dddac is on the kitchen table again. Hoping the reason for no sound was indeed the bad connection going into the dddac mainboard.
As you can see i replaced the connectors on the Sinepi.because the cables going to the Andrea 's clock circuit were way to rigid. I ordered the cables with 90 degrees terminals and i could not use these without putting to much stress on the connector part soldered to the board.
The 90 degrees connectors have a screw, is it used to keep the connector in a certain position/angle compared to the circuit board?

I told my friend to go for another " clock circuit topology " just to avoid all the hassle with cables or find another cable. Especially if you have several boxes interconnected the cable should be not as sturdy.
Greetings,Eduard

Attachments

• 20220416_154148.jpg
    20220416_154148.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 20220415_184118.jpg
    20220415_184118.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 190
I am considering upgrading my DAC from Ian. I have the first edition dual es9038, I/V STD mkI stage and FiFo Pi Q1. All powered by the LifeP04 mkII.
I have upgraded clock from both NDK and Crystek and Opamps are also upgraded.
I am considering to power the DAC with 3 independent rails from the LifePo4 and then use two Salas Ultrabib 1.3 (have them from my precious DAC build) for the analog stage?
Has anyone tried to power the I/V with a set of Ultrabibs?
Any other consideration for upgrading is most welcome :)

@jimk04 how is your experience in using the ultrabib in your nice build? :)

I enjoy watching all these builds evolve.
Thanks for all your efforts.
I am a long way behind but picking bits up.

I at last got round to changing my clocks up on my fifopi.
Boy I'm glad I did.
Put a smile on my face and made me sit down and just listen to music.
😁

Reactions: 1 user
@Vavilen What requirements do you need from an eARC receiver?

Ian
@iancanada I'm looking for a module (raspberrypi hat?), which is able to receive audio from my TV using HDMI arc/eArc.
I'm inspired by this Bluesound Node spec:
l26medajbzf1hjm8xyp.png

The NODE has an HDMI connection with Audio Return Channel (eARC) and HDMI-CEC. This means that the TV and installation communicate with each other via HDMI, so that you can easily control the volume, etc. with your TV remote control. Just connect the TV with an HDMI cable and voilà: beautiful TV sound on your installation!

The NODE turns on and off automatically along with the TV and other inputs such as Bluetooth and optical. And if you have an older TV that doesn't support CEC, you can use the optical input in conjunction with the integrated IR learning function, so you can continue to use the existing TV remote.

Wouldn't there be a delay in the sound due to FIFO buffer?
@wlowes The FifoPi Q3 default delay is 0.2s. Normally you can not feel. FifoPi has a special algorithm to make it keeping the same delay time for all different sample rates and frequencies. With a FifoPi controller, the FifoPi delay time is possible to be adjustable.
Ian

I seem to recall 0.7s has been said in the past to be standard delay in FifoPi Q3.. I applied a 0.2s delay of video (max delay which is available on my tv) and still audio was noticeably not synchronized. I stand however to be confirmed or corrected. I reckon it is great for some of us to know the delay could be adjusted which opens up further room to play with..

Btw, is the StationPi Pro+FifoPi controller a must for the delay time to be adjusted or would a FifoPi controller be necessary only?

Reactions: 1 user