Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

The DDDAC was designed with the WaveIO as source and there the I2S clock never stops (like you suggest with the Amanero)

So when the FiFoPi stops the I2S signal at full breaks, the DAC would not mute
Or can you program FiFoPi so, that the WCK runs runs for another 2k or so?

May be another solution could be (just wildly thinking) to have the audio player have a short mute between tracks if that is possible?

This makes sense and it would explain why I have no issue with RPI -> WaveIO -> DDDAC. But please note, that I have also no clicks when using RPI directly. Means RPI -> DDDAC works OK! To be honest, I have only tested for some minutes without FifoPi - switched between different tracks without a click. Then installed FifoPi back in my chain and click with first track playback. Mh, should I do another try without the FifoPi to proof the clock stop thing?

@Eduard: Thank you for the information. I have tried this choke setup a while ago. I think I lost some punch with it and then switched back to the simple serial setup. But this was at a time where my DDDAC setup was not that modded and I will give it another try.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Per Lundahl himself told me that it should be better but you will have to try.
I started with choke input with the ll2733 and now i am using the ll2771. I have never tried the normal connection but i never missed some punch. Maybe be cause i always used more mH. First 544mH and now 3000mH. A famous technician in my country said you should only use this technique for the input choke but i used it for all the chokes right away.
In a few weeks times i will also replace the 700mH? By a ll2771 with reduced airgap so around 6000mH for the choke input supply of the wave io board.
Greetings,Eduard

This makes sense and it would explain why I have no issue with RPI -> WaveIO -> DDDAC. But please note, that I have also no clicks when using RPI directly. Means RPI -> DDDAC works OK! To be honest, I have only tested for some minutes without FifoPi - switched between different tracks without a click. Then installed FifoPi back in my chain and click with first track playback. Mh, should I do another try without the FifoPi to proof the clock stop thing?

@Eduard: Thank you for the information. I have tried this choke setup a while ago. I think I lost some punch with it and then switched back to the simple serial setup. But this was at a time where my DDDAC setup was not that modded and I will give it another try.

@michl2604

I think the best solution for your would be the BridgePi for now.

You just need to install the BridgePi between RPi and FifoPi together with an Amanero Combo384 (You will not need the TransportPi which is in the third picture). All of the problem will be solved.

BridegPiUSBstreamer
by Ian, on Flickr

InsatllUsbStreamer
by Ian, on Flickr

AdvancedDSDDAC
by Ian, on Flickr

Regards,
Ian

Yes Ian, this would be a solution, thank you.

Some weeks ago I have also tested WaveIO (USB - I2S Interface) together with Fifo Pi and with this setup there were also no clicks.
However, soundwise I prefered the Fifo Pi only setup!?? Don't know why. In theory it should sound allways the same behind Fifo Pi, isn't ?

Is there a difference soundwise between using BridgePi / Anamero / FifoPi combo and FifoPi only?

A good finding from this thread for me: my fifo pi copy is not defective and it makes no sense for me to send it back for exchange. :up:

@michl2604

All XMOS USB solutions have 2ns system jitter. You can check my previous post (long time ago) for the real measurement results. I have both but Combe384 sounds better for me because it has dedicated audio clocks.

DDDAC takes 32bit I2S (64Fs) format only. And a USB interface also runs at 64Fs. So the sound quality shouldn't be a difference. Based on my recent experiences, Com384 has better clarity than RPi GPIO. It could be caused by different EMI noise level. But it's just a subjective feelings.

Good weekend.
Ian

@michl2604

All XMOS USB solutions have 2ns system jitter. You can check my previous post (long time ago) for the real measurement results. I have both but Combe384 sounds better for me because it has dedicated audio clocks.

DDDAC takes 32bit I2S (64Fs) format only. And a USB interface also runs at 64Fs. So the sound quality shouldn't be a difference. Based on my recent experiences, Com384 has better clarity than RPi GPIO. It could be caused by different EMI noise level. But it's just a subjective feelings.

Good weekend.
Ian

Thank you for the information! :up:
Wish you a good weekend, too! :)

I am looking to get some insight from other McFIFO / McDualXO users who are using a Crystek 957.

My setup is a miniDSP miniSHARC -> McFIFO -> McDualXO. I have come across an odd issue when using a 24.576 MHz Crystek 957 in that it will only work if I remove the E/D pin 1.

I've observed this across two different miniSHARCs, two different McFIFO / McDualXOs, many different Crystek 957s (on both Ian's specific 957 adapter as well as his generic adapter). In all cases the McDualXO will select the correct oscillator, I get MCLK and SCLK signals from the McDualXO but no LRCLK or I2S data. I have not observed a similar issue on other oscillators with an E/D pin such as the NDK SDA and the Crystek C3391.

At the end of the day removing the pin works fine but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced a similar issue or if anyone can think of a reason as to why it is occurring.

Thanks,
Michael