Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Right, but I would like to add that the crucial signal in digital to analog conversion is the DAC word clock, so you should slave the FIFO to the latch of the DAC.
In other word you need a very good master clock at lower frequency as possible (around 5MHz with appropriate dividers) to feed directly the DAC latch enable, then a FIFO slaved to the Master clock.

Attachments

• Architecture.jpg
    Architecture.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 607
I thought Ian's FIFO has the dividers on-board so the first option is actually a sub-set of the second one?

No, the first option is how Ian's FIFO works, where the DAC is slaved to FIFO. In the second option the FIFO is slaved to DAC.

To implement the second option Ian should provide the sample rate to the dividers and should outputs data at high speed (Master clock) only when requested from the DAC by the latch signal. Finally he should stop the bit clock from the FIFO before the DAC is latching to avoid any interference between latch and bit clock.
Better if the communication between FIFO and DAC would optically isolated.

P.S.
I suggested 5/6 MHz clock because at these frequencies the crystals provide the best Q and the oscillators using these crystals have the best phase noise performance.

Last edited:
Ah, I see, that part about the DAC signaling the FIFO when it locks was not in the diagram.

I guess what you describe is not possible in my case where the ESS9038pro is in sync mode and thus DPLL is disabled and there is no locking to the clock, just assuming the master and data clock are in sync :)

Ah, I see, that part about the DAC signaling the FIFO when it locks was not in the diagram.

I guess what you describe is not possible in my case where the ESS9038pro is in sync mode and thus DPLL is disabled and there is no locking to the clock, just assuming the master and data clock are in sync :)

The Divider signaling the FIFO when it locks with the arrow labeled "Latch" from DIVIDERS to FIFO.
I don't know if you can implement this architecture with the Sabre. To do so you need the ESS9038pro to get async bit clock and latch, so the only master of the entire system is the latch from the dividers.

With opto-isolators.

Attachments

• Architecture.jpg
    Architecture.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
The "latch" is the word select or the word clock.

'Word clock' for PCM is the same as LRCK, which is used to indicate the serial audio stream switching from Left channel bits to Right channel bits. The actual data bits are clocked into the dac by BCLK, the bit-clock.

Also, if serial audio is 16-bit, 24-bit, or 32-bit, causes BCLK to adjust in speed while LRCK stays the same for a given PCM sample rate.

IIRC, ESS says Sabre dacs I2S timing should ideally be synced with MCLK, the master clock, if using synchronous mode or master mode operation. To help facilitate being able to do that they have an option to export MCLK on a GPIO pin.

What is this "latch" thing with the DAC?
New terminology for me here.

A latch is basically a 1-bit memory. In a DAC (or any device that receives serial digital data) there is one for each data bit in a word, to hold the received bits until the whole word has been received. The clock controlling the latch determines at what point in time the particular bit is read.

Please find the attached FifoPi user's maunal (draft).

Ian

Ian, congrats!
Really well thought and written!

One question(referring page 6); does FifoPi only support DSD in the multiples of 44.1 kHz?

As one might have DSD in the multiples of 48 kHz as well; e.g. DSD 512 might mean both 44.1 x 512 = 22.579 Mhz and 48 x 512 = 24.576 Mhz, wondering whether FifoPi might support 48 kHz frequency family as well.

Thanks!

Output voltage

To achieve higher performance and better sound quality, I finally decided to design my own FIFO for raspberry Pi based on my third generation FIFO technology.

I'd like FifoPi to have the following features and specifications:

1. Up to 768KHz full range I2S support;

2. DSD64,128,256,512,1024;

3. built-in 768KHz DoP decoder to enable RaspberryPi native DSD play back up to DSD256;

4. Isolator board will be included;

5. Clock board (isolated) will also be integrated, works with interchangeable XOs through standard sockets or adapters;

6. Supports full rang of XO frequencies from 11.2894 to 98.3040MHz;

7. Has two DC inputs for both isolated clean power and RaspberryPi power;

8. Has an additional non-isolated GPIO connector to make DAC controller working in isolated mode;

9. Works with good 5V linear power through on-board low noise LDO or pure direct 3.3V power from ulatr-capacitor or LifePO4 battery power supply;

10 Works with all RPi DAC HAT and external high-end DAC at synchronized master clock mode to remove jitter;

11. Optional external display panel with adjustable delay time;

12. DIY friendly with options and flexibility.

FifoPi_1
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Hi Ian
Which is the output voltage on I2S signals ? 5v ? 3.3v?