Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Dear All,

I have the Amanero going to a I2S-PCM board and to two AD1865. I am using u.fl and a 50 ohm resistor for each digital signal to the DACs. Everything works good, but when I use the digital volume control in the PC, the signal become more and more noisy when the volume goes down. I tried to play full volume a signal -60 db and this is clean. I haven't noticed this behavior in the SE AD1865 DAC. Any clue ho to fix this ?

Thanks,

Davide

Do you have a theory why this is?

//

I suspect that the added jitter of the s/pdif connections is to blame.

The BIII is not exactly famous for its ability to de-jitter its s/pdif inputs.

The difference was even more pronounced with hi-res material, especially in 192K.

It could be argued that using a FIFO would make s/pdif sound like I2S, but I have no first hand experience (and I haven't tried it on my Soekris yet).

Despite the FIFO, some seem to hear a difference between the spidf and I2S feeding ! And everybody don't measure jitter in the same way with a scope if I understood ! (Btw, is it just about jitter only than those sound difference ?)

No one played with a double FIFO/isolator typology with the Soekris' ? I sold mine and jumped from the train some months ago as I understood it would be too much time consuming for me, but many seem to have improved it with caps tweaks and right filter to make it sound better: could be funny if one try too feed it with Nano computer on batterys with I2S output then FIFO, then isolator then embeded Soekris FIFO (with and without isolator if bypassable in the Soekris's Dam1201.v2 !

Dimdim, do you like now the Dam1201 better than your other DACs ?

About Ian's battery management kit for ClockII. Does anybody know where can be purchased the 4 cells Ian uses in Europe ?

Last edited:
Despite the FIFO, some seem to hear a difference between the spidf and I2S feeding!

And some seem to hear a difference if you bring a block of magic wood into the room.

And everybody don't measure jitter in the same way with a scope if I understood!
Jitter is jitter, no matter how you measure it.

(Btw, is it just about jitter only than those sound difference ?)
Jitter is the only aspect that is affected by a FIFO.

could be funny if one try too feed it with Nano computer on batterys with I2S output then FIFO, then isolator then embeded Soekris FIFO (with and without isolator if bypassable in the Soekris's Dam1201.v2 !
Two (or twenty) FIFO's don't improve the performance. The jitter will be totally determined by the last FIFO in the chain.

If the block of wood is à speaker you should hear à difference...

So ok, the last fifo is the one who counts.

I read about the Dam1201 dac people hear à difference between several source Protocol despite the fifo. Here also I2s give a better result than usb or spidf despite FIFO + clock.

Is it noise and not jitter which is Heard...Despite isolator chips?
Dhisonest Testimonials ?

If the block of wood is à speaker you should hear à difference...

But how about a block of wood that contains "A unique combination of crystals and quantum physics organizing the protons by a field of force with the result of a more organic and realistic sound."?

Is it noise and not jitter which is Heard...Despite isolator chips?
Unlikely. Some noise could in principle be conducted through the power connections or through air, but it would require the DAC to be extremely sensitive to noise.

Dhisonest Testimonials ?
Only intellectually dishonest. I am sure the people reporting the differences are 100% sure they hear clear differences - but with sighted listening, the power of the human mind to deceive itself is remarkable. People hear what they believe.

Amazing : it's the description of the Gral ! Or maybe they find a piece of wood of the true Cross !

In another way : "même pas peur" as we have in France a mini production of Grals stuffs : Franck Tchang.com: The Original Acoustic Resonators ! I don't believe more like you in magic but for the business side of it, but some people in a total honnesty can listen a difference ?! Is it the placebo effect ? In the placebo effect you have a true auto production of substances which give a true real difference ! Like a miracle but not as we have an explanation of it ! Good doctors know it : when the relation is good wioth the patient, curring is better for the minor diseases !

Evil is also in the details, I learned from the hard way than impedance matching is important ! For Instance Ian is selling his devices with 50 ohms wires (does the white flat cable 300V FT1 LM is also 50 ohms between the FIFO and the Clock boards ? I don't know but believe to remember Ian favors uf-l cable for the best achievment)

So sometimes people can hear also a difference which is real but having in the same time not the good explanation from when it comes ! Look at the Wave I/O : I believe it's a very good device and Lucian Is a nice guy with a great support. But as people must to do their own plug/wire combo to use isolated side : despite the short distances, I'm sure differences can be heared : some use 100 ohms Cat 5/9 network wires, etc ! Few putt micro coax 50 ohms wire to make their own if not using the uf-l non isolated side !

So testimonials are like false-positives !

PS : They should say in german : Ein Stein music product if they speak about quantum... roooooooh ! http://www.steinmusic.de/webshop/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=60

Last edited:
In another way : "même pas peur" as we have in France a mini production of Grals stuffs : Franck Tchang.com: The Original Acoustic Resonators!

Ah, yes! And just like any other religious relics, they work - if you believe!

I don't believe more like you in magic but for the business side of it, but some people in a total honnesty can listen a difference?!
Of course. I am sure that many of us have the experience of hearing a clear improvement after adding a new component, only to realize that it is not actually connected yet...

Is it the placebo effect?
Closely related. Confirmation Bias

In the placebo effect you have a true auto production of substances which give a true real difference ! Like a miracle but not as we have an explanation of it ! Good doctors know it : when the relation is good wioth the patient, curring is better for the minor diseases!
Absolutely! And a lot of "high-end" audio stuff works the same way - if the product creates a nice, warm and fuzzy feeling, it will sound better.

Evil is also in the details, I learned from the hard way than impedance matching is important ! For Instance Ian is selling his devices with 50 ohms wires (does the white flat cable 300V FT1 LM is also 50 ohms between the FIFO and the Clock boards ? I don't know but believe to remember Ian favors uf-l cable for the best achievment)
At least cable impedances are well-known and understood things - very familiar for anyone who has been involved in high-frequency transmission systems.

So testimonials are like false-positives !
Indeed. That is why independent replication and objective verification are still essential.

I know your prefer Hypex than SET tube amp !

I finally has as a conclusion than we all like a certain color in the sound like a photograph is ! In every way : this is never a true reproduction of the reality. I manage that half-half by trying to listen the most I can acoustical true event music & non amplified.... and cooking with that the tonal color I prefer ! knowing the room and self-bias are the cooker in plus ! But sometimes some cooked tweaks are good enough and sometimes reproductible. That's we call a better sounding device than an other !

I read some odds harmonics was necessary for recognizing some instruments (something like that, don't remmeber the review : it was about a famous american woman known to tweak violin as University Music Doctor (proffessor) to make it sounding like a very expensice one : to corelate her studies !)

So here we spend our life to be sorcery cookers trying to managing the objective side of this hobby !

I would have been prefer to like that : Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://www.radiomuseum.org/images/radio/conic_international/mw_ukw_mono_radio_cassette_recorder_1309461.jpg
less expensive and more time to go fishing or looking at the clouds !

Any testimonials here about how managing the baterry set for Clock board ?

Is there a manual for it as well ? I discover too late I need also adaptator for Crystek 957 (thanks LudwigHaus for the tip)... so if any have a good experience to share about those battery environment for the Clock2, it will be much appreciated :)

ANd also how long battery will last ? - but I understood they can be reloaded with the good Ian sourced in local for his needs if I remember ! LiFePo something iirc ! but not sure...)

I know your prefer Hypex than SET tube amp!

Depends - for general music reproduction, I prefer the hypex amps, but for amplifying my old keyboard instruments, tubes are great - but then they become part of the instrument sound.

I finally has as a conclusion than we all like a certain color in the sound like a photograph is!
Yes - but just like I prefer to watch photographs without coloured glasses, I prefer to listen to recorded music as close to what the mastering engineer heard in the studio, instead of my gear adding another layer of colour.

I read some odds harmonics was necessary for recognizing some instruments (something like that, don't remmeber the review : it was about a famous american woman known to tweak violin as University Music Doctor (proffessor) to make it sounding like a very expensice one : to corelate her studies !)
But that is exactly why we shouldn't add (or remove) any harmonics to the original sound.

Even better - this is what I have in the dining room:
IMG_4888.jpg

but the secret is that there is a raspberry pi and a small class D amp hidden inside... :)

Well because the low price and the testimonial of Supra, I decided to test the RaspBerry (easy also to reduce noise by battery feeding) and asked Ian the uf-l board and plug for it in my yesterday order ! I lurk towards Volumio 2 as a nice plug & play distro... at least better than a Windows with asio driver I assume ! But this is already an other story !

I'm not so happy with the Linux distro I have in my Synology Nas to feed the Wave I/O and Ian's devices before the AYA2 2014 ! Not so pleasant interface to use ! It's a pitty as Synology is a plug&play (and forgett) device with also an usb output !

Let's come back to Fifo / clock and battery management !

Dear All,

I have the Amanero going to a I2S-PCM board and to two AD1865. I am using u.fl and a 50 ohm resistor for each digital signal to the DACs. Everything works good, but when I use the digital volume control in the PC, the signal become more and more noisy when the volume goes down. I tried to play full volume a signal -60 db and this is clean. I haven't noticed this behavior in the SE AD1865 DAC. Any clue ho to fix this ?

Thanks,

Davide

A photo can help !

You loose too much bits with digital volume ?
Mclk Wire wich feed the I2S to PCM boards ?
I2S cables which feeds the the I2S to PCM board ?

I'm not so happy with the Linux distro I have in my Synology Nas to feed the Wave I/O and Ian's devices before the AYA2 2014 ! Not so pleasant interface to use ! It's a pitty as Synology is a plug&play (and forgett) device with also an usb output !

Let's come back to Fifo / clock and battery management !

Eldam,

Are you referring of the not so pleasant interface of Volumio? In that case... send me a PM. I am actually the one researching the interface for Volumio. (Not will be in Volumio 2 yet tho)

No I talked of the Synology package ! Bad looking, swapping between two albums or tunes is too much long... it is developped on Arc iirc.

I just used to have the SqueezeBox interface before swaping for something else (I used to have the Duet with spidf only : 96 K Hz limited... which is not to much a problem, but the internal of the Duet was ressampling on the fly all in 24 bits with jittery issue, although with few mods it can be sounded good !).

So I don't know about Volumio v1. Seems to me the Daphile is looking pleasant as close from Squeezebox but didn't try it !

Last edited:
Amareno pcb + its usb plug isolated from the metal enclosure ?
Idem for the I2StoPCM board ?
Does the black uf-l wire which is going from the I2StoPCM to the lowest dac board is of the same length than the other grey ones ?

Despite the shielding, try maybe to get the Mclk black wire farer to the I2stoPCM Powersupply plug !

I'm not a tech... it can deserves a thread to go further !

There is a reason why the pro world has used wordclock for a long time. But the most important part is not the absolute quality of the clock generator, but rather the clocking architecture. The point where digital meets analog is where the clock reference should be coming from, so for a DAC, the DAC conversion clock should be the one driving the source timing. That clock could come from an external device, but the important part is that the DAC clock determines the overall timing. Too bad consumer gear went for exactly the opposite, with the source determining the timing.

Correct indeed! +1

The most important thing is always the DAC local clock :)

Ian