Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Perhaps the FIFO can totally clean up the RPi's I2S output, I'm not sure. Ian can probably enlighten us, if he has tested such a scenario.

It certainly can. Im no digital engineer, but ive been doing audio for 40 years and CA for about 6 years. I have a RP2+ , battery powered with short ufl lines into a FIFO/isolator/double clock 957 /pcm-i2s/AYA2014 1541 dac running in sim data.
It is a paradigm shift in audio quality, ive never heard so much air and openness in music, I'm listening to recordings in a totally new perspective and sense of musicality.
It's just stunning.
I will never listen to usb again.
Ian, Eldam what brand are those Ocxo? Where can they be bought.

Dunno for the Ian's photograph ocxo ref !

Btw, I use the same Crystek as you !

Off Topic sorry : did you try my mods on AYA2 2014 ? Was a great improvement on my system... and it's an easy one to do !

Well, I agree with you, here we don't use USB because it's noisy or not but because it's nowadays the easier way to go with clean Asynchronous to I2S boards for our projects. A lot are good : Amareno, Wave I/O, JLsounds, etc !

But more we use a FIFO to allow I2S 3 signals to "start" at the same time, and even more with a clock2 to have a short clean Clock reference with a good phase noise which help even more to have a better sound quality ! The isolator between the FIFO and the Clock board is solving the best it can the noise issues (have to buy this last as I forgett last time !)

Swapping the USB ? Yes I would like to have a network to I2S Stuff with RJ45 plug input and why not buffered wifi, wifi is an other good technic in galvanic isolation ! But those nano not too expensive RASPi like pcbs are good enough for putting server/player if the distro stays plug & play like the Volumio, etc, distros !.... If you rework all the timing and I have no doubt those USB outputs can be resynchronisable after as far the output stays bitperfect ! Wrong ?

Re multiplexing an I2S signal on spidf has no sense ! And the last Masterclock of the chain would have the last "word"...

Hi Ian,

I bought two 9*14mm XO CCDH957 (the metalic caned one on a pcb without leads :crazy:) (I assume the glue doesn't work to put the Crysteq on the Clock2 :D- I have the raw version without the dip-12 !)

Do you have any adaptators pcbs left please and a big isolated board already populated as well ?

Can I push you the excel form on your mail for those devices ?

best regards,

Eldam

Supra, you really should try my mod on the Aya2 2014 : it drives it to an other step ... and Pedja's approved !) : ten minutes of work !

(Buy the last DS edition and populate with the BOM I writted on the Audial blog and tell me if I am deaf !) !

I agree with you on the sound you describe about the AYA2 with Ian devices in front end !

Last edited:
Supra, you really should try my mod on the Aya2 2014 : it drives it to an other step ... and Pedja's approved !) : ten minutes of work !

(Buy the last DS edition and populate with the BOM I writted on the Audial blog and tell me if I am deaf !) !

I agree with you on the sound you describe about the AYA2 with Ian devices in front end !

Try a raspberry in non USB mode, it is a huge step up in sound quality,amazing sound.

Hi Supra. Are you achieving this with or without upsampling ?

No upsampling. Usb creates a substantial roadblock, which I was not aware of till now. Direct I2S, no usb, is a revelation, however the raspberry on its own is very jittery, and not really hi fi, but when combined with Ians FIFO , isolator, good clocks, and the AYA 1541 running in sim data it is beyond anything else I've heard via digital. Also running the raspberry from batteries which I suspect is important.

No upsampling. Usb creates a substantial roadblock, which I was not aware of till now. Direct I2S, no usb, is a revelation, however the raspberry on its own is very jittery, and not really hi fi, but when combined with Ians FIFO , isolator, good clocks, and the AYA 1541 running in sim data it is beyond anything else I've heard via digital. Also running the raspberry from batteries which I suspect is important.

Interresting, have to try !

What do you call roadblock with usb protocol please ? Loss of bits, packets ???

Is it the reason why Ian prefers a Rasberry with direct I2S ?

I will apreciate your longer input here please, I have to try !

(PS : on AYA2 : please don't be ego-septic : try also, it's not a competition, I sell nothing ! Even Pedja was surprised ! If you don't already mod too much the AYA pcb with your own stuffs, you can pm me or try my last input on the AYA blog : you may find it's even a higer step, who knows !)

Interresting, have to try !

What do you call roadblock with usb protocol please ? Loss of bits, packets ???

Is it the reason why Ian prefers a Rasberry with direct I2S ?

I will apreciate your longer input here please, I have to try !

(PS : on AYA2 : please don't be ego-septic : try also, it's not a competition, I sell nothing ! Even Pedja was surprised ! If you don't already mod too much the AYA pcb with your own stuffs, you can pm me or try my last input on the AYA blog : you may find it's even a higer step, who knows !)

Eldam
With respect, your mod is just a tweak, maybe a very good one, but to go non usb is a completely different approach, with a vastly different result. I said Ian was a cautious dude and for him to say something was very good, then it is worth looking at.
No its not a competition, do as you please.

Supra,

I agree. ANd that's why I will try your input. It's not substractiv : tips can be additionned, no ? Btw, I trust on words Ian as I ask him for tips as well. Have like you the complete Ian's front end with the simultaneous mode, fifo, etc ! I just ordered today the isolator i forgoten ! .

But the "just a tweak" is saying a lot from you and is "condescending" ! Again I don't talk of it to shine my ego but because it's : simple & very good for the music only... and free, I don't sell amps, dacs or anything ! According to me it's a nicer tonal balance and as it's easy to do it's reversible. Of course you can go further with AYA like Ludwig Haus tubes output (call it tweak, also...). Btw I'm not an AYAtola : if you have some other tweaks of you on the pcb I will be pleased to try it : It's sharing after all, Pedja showed the good and respectfull attitude (don't think he makes direct money with this operation or few !)

But with an equal respect, don't push a conclusion with benchmarking words definitions and scaling instead trying (and almost: before trying it) : it has no sense, it's not a competition of words or engeenering either... and it's presumptuous ! If Pedja liked it, it's maybe also good enough for you, no ?

BTW, if you would respect your own logic you should not listen to an AYA2 but a more perfectionned stuff instead ! AYA2 is the result of several years of perfectionment also on parts (call it tweak !) ...

So... just try and please say me after if I was wrong : it's more in pair with epestimology approach and what you just wrote before.... You can NOT listen to a concept before materialize it... or it's not the concept you listen to but something else....ihmo and with the greatest respect of course !

best regards

Ian , sorry for the off topic, your devices is the Archimede point in this "discussion" ;)

Last edited:
Supra,

I agree. ANd that's why I will try your input. It's not substractiv : tips can be additionned, no ? Btw, I trust on words Ian as I ask him for tips as well. Have like you the complete Ian's front end with the simultaneous mode, fifo, etc ! I just ordered today the isolator i forgoten ! .

But the "just a tweak" is saying a lot from you and is "condescending" ! Again I don't talk of it to shine my ego but because it's : simple & very good for the music only... and free, I don't sell amps, dacs or anything ! According to me it's a nicer tonal balance and as it's easy to do it's reversible. Of course you can go further with AYA like Ludwig Haus tubes output (call it tweak, also...). Btw I'm not an AYAtola : if you have some other tweaks of you on the pcb I will be pleased to try it : It's sharing after all, Pedja showed the good and respectfull attitude (don't think he makes direct money with this operation or few !)

But with an equal respect, don't push a conclusion with benchmarking words definitions and scaling instead trying (and almost: before trying it) : it has no sense, it's not a competition of words or engeenering either... and it's presumptuous ! If Pedja liked it, it's maybe also good enough for you, no ?

BTW, if you would respect your own logic you should not listen to an AYA2 but a more perfectionned stuff instead ! AYA2 is the result of several years of perfectionment also on parts (call it tweak !) ...

So... just try and please say me after if I was wrong : it's more in pair with epestimology approach and what you just wrote before.... You can NOT listen to a concept before materialize it... or it's not the concept you listen to but something else....ihmo and with the greatest respect of course !

Relax Eldam, I've got a DEM AYA14 coming and I intended to try your cap options, seeing as how Pedja called it "interesting".
If you try a raspberry and use a FIFI 2 you can use the switch option to toggle between direct I2S and usb, but I doubt you will wont to to use usb after you listen.