Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Did you know Squeezelite can upsample with same SoX library and it's much more configurable then LMS in this regard? Upsampling on client means also less network traffic and you're not tied to a fixed upsampling frequency as with LMS; Squeezelite can determine highest _integer_ 2x, 4x, 8x upsampling based on output device <maxrate> setting. Hopefully ATV1 cpu can handle it.

I've tried getting the squeezelite to use libsoxr to do the up sampling on the ATV1 (should have the necessary computing power), but I just couldn't get it to work.

I've sent you a pm about squeezelite up sampling.

Paul

Calling all FIFO/TDA1541A Lovers

Sorry for being off topic... But - If anyone is interested in the above configuration please check out the group buy for a TDA1541A core board.

Features:
-Great for those wanting to experiment with different combinations of power supplies, output stages, dem circuits.
-U.FL I2s input for easy input from FIFO or the like, whether in time multiplexed mode or simultaneous mode. [pin 27 left floating]
-Add your own power supplies
-Add your own output stage
-Bypass cap pads on AOL and AOR to prevent RF from entering output stage. [47nf - depending on output impedance]
-Vias for DEM pins to add your own circuit.

TDA1541A core board group buy

Si570 clock board error

Hi,

My Si570 clock board is acting strangely, and I can't find what the problem is.

It was working well before, but now I've added the isolator board to the FIFO setup, changed the power supplies and added the S/PDIF board for the input. Now everything powers on ok, but when I connect the S/PDIF, the Si570 clock board has all LEDs flashing and no sound is heard.
The S/PDIF board has it's lock led on, but the FIFO board only has its "empty" led on. the lock led is off.

I tried removing the isolator board from the chain, by connecting the FIFO directly to the Si570 board (i removed the Si570's DC power input) but all clock board, fifo board and S/PDIF board LEDs start flashing together.

Anyone know what can be causing this problem?

Turns out it was my isolator board in the end. I re-soldered the resistor arrays and now the FIFO locks and music plays.
The reason all the LEDs were flashing when I removed the isolator board and went from FIFO directly to the clock board was because I had not increased the max load current for the shunt reg power supply powering the FIFO to take into account the extra current draw by the clock board.

Paul

Turns out it was my isolator board in the end. I re-soldered the resistor arrays and now the FIFO locks and music plays.
The reason all the LEDs were flashing when I removed the isolator board and went from FIFO directly to the clock board was because I had not increased the max load current for the shunt reg power supply powering the FIFO to take into account the extra current draw by the clock board.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Good to know the issue was fixed.

If you are using isolator board between fifo and clock, I would suggest disabling spdif board output function by unconnecting any signal from clock board.

Enjoy your music:)

Ian

Last edited:
Sorry for being off topic... But - If anyone is interested in the above configuration please check out the group buy for a TDA1541A core board.

Features:
-Great for those wanting to experiment with different combinations of power supplies, output stages, dem circuits.
-U.FL I2s input for easy input from FIFO or the like, whether in time multiplexed mode or simultaneous mode. [pin 27 left floating]
-Add your own power supplies
-Add your own output stage
-Bypass cap pads on AOL and AOR to prevent RF from entering output stage. [47nf - depending on output impedance]
-Vias for DEM pins to add your own circuit.

TDA1541A core board group buy

Hi ryanj,

Glad you are running the 1541 core board. I would suggest you considering switch to PCM signal rather than I2S. According to my experience, better sound. Or, a jumper could also be nice.

You can find some discussion in this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...iversal-i2s-pcm-driver-board.html#post3179225

VZS is working on some other multi-bit DAC core board, which is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...coupled-i2s-pcm-driver-board.html#post3645605

Good luck to you GB :)

Ian

Trouble with dual clockboard fed by Lpifepo4 battery

Hi Ian,

Until now, to my feelings, I like the 570 clockboard best when fed by an original lifepo4 battery. So thinking about finding out how the battery fed dual board with a Crystec 45 and 49 Mhz in double speed would work...
So I did the mod, taking both regs out and shortcutting their in- and outputs.
Isolater board between Fifo and clockboard and powered by the lifepo4 by means of the management board.
No sound, just a little smoke!!!!
More thorough investigation showed a shortcut between two connections of one of the removed regs.(U7) This had ruined the L3 on the bottom side of the board. I borrowed a replacement for this L3 from my, not used, single clock board. (L12) Not knowing it was the right part I did use it.
Back in the music again. Happy me!
Hope you can tell me if I did the right change, or what part it is that I exactly need as replacement? Things are showed in the pictures.

One problem has left though.
I can play all resolutians exept 352.8/384Khz. Playing this F means static noise on the tune of the music file choosen.
Have to tell that I really like how these clocks sound on those batteries!! I think I will not ever go back. Even keeping them charged is no hassle at all.
I checked the 570 under the same conditions. Works without problems.
I hope you can assist me a little in finding the solution.
Thanks againfor the beatiful toys,

Ed

Attachments

• Dual clock reg mod.JPG
    Dual clock reg mod.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 476
  • duo clock L3.JPG
    duo clock L3.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 467
  • single L12.JPG
    single L12.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 464
Hi ryanj,

Glad you are running the 1541 core board. I would suggest you considering switch to PCM signal rather than I2S. According to my experience, better sound. Or, a jumper could also be nice.

You can find some discussion in this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...iversal-i2s-pcm-driver-board.html#post3179225

VZS is working on some other multi-bit DAC core board, which is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...coupled-i2s-pcm-driver-board.html#post3645605

Good luck to you GB :)

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for the links.

I've done a bit of reading and it seems you are right, people are suggesting a better listening experience running the 1541 is simultaneous mode so im pretty intrigued to give it a go sometime in the near future. Yes, Ill add a jumper from pin 4 and 5 for easy data input comparison.

Thanks Ian.

Hi Ian,

Until now, to my feelings, I like the 570 clockboard best when fed by an original lifepo4 battery. So thinking about finding out how the battery fed dual board with a Crystec 45 and 49 Mhz in double speed would work...
So I did the mod, taking both regs out and shortcutting their in- and outputs.
Isolater board between Fifo and clockboard and powered by the lifepo4 by means of the management board.
No sound, just a little smoke!!!!
More thorough investigation showed a shortcut between two connections of one of the removed regs.(U7) This had ruined the L3 on the bottom side of the board. I borrowed a replacement for this L3 from my, not used, single clock board. (L12) Not knowing it was the right part I did use it.
Back in the music again. Happy me!
Hope you can tell me if I did the right change, or what part it is that I exactly need as replacement? Things are showed in the pictures.

One problem has left though.
I can play all resolutians exept 352.8/384Khz. Playing this F means static noise on the tune of the music file choosen.
Have to tell that I really like how these clocks sound on those batteries!! I think I will not ever go back. Even keeping them charged is no hassle at all.
I checked the 570 under the same conditions. Works without problems.
I hope you can assist me a little in finding the solution.
Thanks againfor the beatiful toys,

Ed

Hi Ed,

You did good job! They are in same part number. Glad you fixed it by your self.
I'm happy you like the toy, Enjoy your music!

What DAC your are playing with 384KHz? What is your USB source? FIFO works up to 384KHz without problem, but I had issue with some USB, maybe you you can find out that topic from my old post.

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ed,What DAC your are playing with 384KHz? What is your USB source? FIFO works up to 384KHz without problem, but I had issue with some USB, maybe you you can find out that topic from my old post.

Hi Ian,
Thanks for your answering!

Glad that I used the right part.

My USB source is Loriens Wave i/o. Connected by using the the I2S 'backdoor' on the Fifo. The leds are switching nicely on the dual clockboard and he switches on 384Khz, but in stead of music I get static/heavily disturbed noises.
As I said, 384Khz works with the 570 clockboard, without a glitch on a DDDAC1794.(PCM1794).
I do not remember I ever tried it with the dual clockboard, since I switched my 45/49 clocks for 22/24 ones in early times.
And there max F is 192Khz of course.
Did You ever try your Waveio on 384Khz? On the Buff3?
I am afraid that I maybe ruined something else on my dual board, though I could not trace a defect with my limited knowledge.
Ed

TO run ESS9018 at 384KHz, you have to use 98.3040MHz XO

Hi Ed,What DAC your are playing with 384KHz? What is your USB source? FIFO works up to 384KHz without problem, but I had issue with some USB, maybe you you can find out that topic from my old post.

Hi Ian,

My USB source is Loriens Wave i/o. Connected by using the the I2S 'backdoor' on the Fifo. The leds are switching nicely on the dual clockboard and he switches on 384Khz, but in stead of music I get static/heavily disturbed noises.
As I said, 384Khz works with the 570 clockboard, without a glitch on a DDDAC1794.(PCM1794).
I do not remember I ever tried it with the dual clockboard, since I switched my 45/49 clocks for 22/24 ones in early times.
I am afraid that I maybe ruined something else on my dual board, though I could not trace a defect with my limited knowledge.
Ed

Hi Ed,

Thank you for the information.

After reviewing ESS9018 datasheet, I found what was the problem:
"MCLK must be >192*Fs when using PCM(I2S) input"

Dual xo with 45/49 was running at 128*Fs for 384KHz music, so.... :D.
That's why Si570 clock board was working without problem (90/98)

You have to wait for my Dual XO clock board II with 90/98 XOs support.

Regards,

Ian

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Ian,

I think I may have a problem with my Dual clock board. Recently, I purchased two Chrystek oscillators. The 49 MHz worked but the 45 MHz didn't. None of the leds lit up with the 45 MHz in place. The jumpers were set at TP3-TP4 and TP6-TP7. Putting the 22. MHz back in place and with the 49 MHz Chrystek in place, it worked.

Thinking that I may have damaged the Chrystek oscillator, I purchased another 45 MHz, and I carefully hand soldered it onto the adapter using soldering paste and heat only for a short time. I used hot air on the first one. Again, the board does not work with the 45 MHz Chrystek in place.

The board works fine with the 49 MHz Chrystek and the stock 22 MHz in place.

Do you think there is an issue with the board or am I doing something wrong?

Ben

Hi Ian,

I think I may have a problem with my Dual clock board. Recently, I purchased two Chrystek oscillators. The 49 MHz worked but the 45 MHz didn't. None of the leds lit up with the 45 MHz in place. The jumpers were set at TP3-TP4 and TP6-TP7. Putting the 22. MHz back in place and with the 49 MHz Chrystek in place, it worked.

Thinking that I may have damaged the Chrystek oscillator, I purchased another 45 MHz, and I carefully hand soldered it onto the adapter using soldering paste and heat only for a short time. I used hot air on the first one. Again, the board does not work with the 45 MHz Chrystek in place.

The board works fine with the 49 MHz Chrystek and the stock 22 MHz in place.

Do you think there is an issue with the board or am I doing something wrong?

Ben

Hi Ben,

If it works with 49/22, that means both dual xo and fifo board are good.

I suspect the disconnection or short on the small xo adapter board. Please check it up again. If you still can not work out, you can send the clock board and the XOs back to me, I could fix the issue for you.

Regards,

Ian

iancanada
diyAudio Member

Location: Toronto TO run ESS9018 at 384KHz, you have to use 98.3040MHz XO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada

Hi Ian,

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thank you for the information.

After reviewing ESS9018 datasheet, I found what was the problem:
"MCLK must be >192*Fs when using PCM(I2S) input"

Dual xo with 45/49 was running at 128*Fs for 384KHz music, so.... .
That's why Si570 clock board was working without problem (90/98)

You have to wait for my Dual XO clock board II with 90/98 XOs support.

Regards,

Ian

Anybody has experiance with this using DDDac 1794 ?

So: No 384Khz possible with dual clockboard using 45/49 clocks in highspeed mode?
Thanks,
Ed

So: No 384Khz possible with dual clockboard using 45/49 clocks in highspeed mode?
Thanks,
Ed

=====================

Yes,

To run ESS9018 at 384KHz, you have to use 98.3040MHz MCLK :)

The limitation is required by 9018.

Ian

Hi again, Ian

I am not talking about my ESS Sabre 9018 Dac, but about Doede Douma's version of a NOS implementation of the PCM 1794 Dac. With the waveio USB.
Do you mean that the same counts for this dac too?
If so, when could I(we) expect a version 2 of the dual clockboard?
Should I put it on the GB-list?

Thanks for all your answers,

Have a nice holiday(s),

Ed

Hi again, Ian

I am not talking about my ESS Sabre 9018 Dac, but about Doede Douma's version of a NOS implementation of the PCM 1794 Dac. With the waveio USB.
Do you mean that the same counts for this dac too?
If so, when could I(we) expect a version 2 of the dual clockboard?
Should I put it on the GB-list?

Thanks for all your answers,

Have a nice holiday(s),

Ed

FIFO has no problem running 384KHz with 40/45MHz clock.
If you really can not work it out, I would suggest you trying other USB such as Amanero Combo384.

Good luck.

Ian

FIFO has no problem running 384KHz with 40/45MHz clock.
If you really can not work it out, I would suggest you trying other USB such as Amanero Combo384.

Good luck.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Remember that this 1794Dac/Waveio/Fifo does all F's with the 570 clockboard....
It is because I like the seperate clocks more (soundwise) with the dual board fed by the Lifepo4's.
(Btw the waveio was converted by Lorien to do the higher resolutions and so he does with the 570 board)

regards,
Ed