Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

didnt see the pics, you using the JSR01, or SSR01? I have both PCBs here too, but since you mention SMD, I figure you mean JSR01 as only the opamp in the ssr01 is possible in SMD. it was the SSR01 in linear audio

Ah sorry my bad its the SSR01 so NOT smd, was mixing it up with his diamond buffers..

Attachments

• IMG_1453.JPG
    IMG_1453.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_1454.JPG
    IMG_1454.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 659
Hi Ian

I have a question about the isolator chip for I2C. I used Si8605 for the isolation of I2C and serial comm between si570 & Arduino. Am I using the wrong chip? There is no problem on the I2C side but I can't get any output from the isolated side on the serial comm although Si570 sent data to the input side of the isolator. Please help.

LifePO4 Battery, genuine A123 and third party

I thought there was no big difference between LifePO4 batteries, genuine A123 and third party ones. But it seems I was wrong.

A couple of weeks ago, I got an A123 26650 battery cell from a friend of mine, I did some test on both Dual XO and Si570 clock board. The genuine A123 battery was really better. The audible difference was that the genuine A123 sounds more stable than the third party ones. However, A123 was discontinued, that’s really a bad news.

Same chemical, I can’t explain.

Qusp:
Do you have any idea about the reason?

Ian

Attachments

• _MG_5695.JPG
    _MG_5695.JPG
    328.5 KB · Views: 520
  • _MG_5696.JPG
    _MG_5696.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 503
  • _MG_5697.JPG
    _MG_5697.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 490
that being said, there will be shipping restrictions to many countries outside the US, because they are considered dangerous goods ...

From the buyA123batteries website:

The following are recommended minimum order quantities for international shipments outside North America (Canada/US/Mexico):

APR18650M1A - 200 cells
ANR26650M1B - 100 cells
ALM12V7 - 9 modules (1 carton)

OK, well if you plan to use it fairly exclusively with the AKD12 or other acko stuff, you can pretty easily solder a w.fl socket, on the u.fl position. just remove the ufl with a blob of molten solder on the end of the soldering iron, then solder wfl in its place.
sdata, that depends on how you have the internal ESS channel mapping set up, talk to acko about that one.

if you are using sync mode, then you will need to have the onboard clock removed, have you done this already? this will expose a u.fl pattern underneath. so all the other positions are w.fl, but mck is u.fl, so no need to change that one on the si570

Nice choke :)

How much in difference with and without the choke?

Have you get choke compare with a resistor?

Ian

It's a pretty big difference, I've compared to a 2,2 ohm resistor and a 16 awg, 0,75 ohm 3,4mH (jantzen wax) speakercoil. The Jantzen waxcoil actually sounds the worse of all 3, it even sounds worse then simply paralleling the 2 47.000 uF caps. The resistor seems to make a small change for the better. The 460mH/3,4 ohm lundahl is an entirely different animal.

Currently considering building the attached psu, everything including the 0,22R in a seperate chassis, last C + superreg + fifo in its own enclosure.

Any comments are welcome :D

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 393
Nice choke :)

How much in difference with and without the choke?

Have you get choke compare with a resistor?

Ian

I ran another test.

On the waveio supply I can hear a slight difference with or without the choke but cant say which of the 2 is better. So that would be C only vs CLC before the voltage reg.

On the fifo the difference is again rather large. Same supply, C vs CLC before regulator. Without the choke the highs are "sharper/more agressive/shouty", however on a really dark sounding system people may interpret this as having more bite? Hard to imagine as it also seems "more airy". Midrange purity seems improved with the choke. But the biggest difference is bass impact, I can feel it hitting in my couch.

I'm far from an expert on all of this but wonder why. Can it be additional energy storage/availability from the choke? Or just less jitter? And if so how, additonal filtering? Cant be a lower ripple thing can it with the voltage reg following it? I'm just having a hard time understanding why the difference is so pronounced on just the i2s->spdif converter. I would expect these effects more from powersupplies feeding analogue stages.

Last edited:
Without the choke the highs are "sharper/more agressive/shouty", however on a really dark sounding system people may interpret this as having more bite? Hard to imagine as it also seems "more airy". Midrange purity seems improved with the choke. But the biggest difference is bass impact, I can feel it hitting in my couch.

Some things are obviously hard to explain. Your observations are very close to what i feel is the audible effect of chokes in analogue power supplies. Why should it sound the same way in a purely digital system is a bit of a mystery.

Otoh, it is the same system ground which is also shared by the analogue stages, right?