Are toroidal transformers best?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
commercial offerings of the japanese amps not only used a copper belly band, they also wrapped a mu metal band around the periphery of the EI core, two laps around in most cases i have seen to totally cover the whole of the EI traffo...

if you run EI's at low flux densities and very far from saturation, radiation will be much lower...

The lowest impedance you can get is with the MD core transformers. Here is the list for the same nominal power transformers:

M core 100% (highest impedance)
Ei core 94%
Toroidal 66%
PM core 38%
MD core 28% (lowest impedance)

For audio it would be best to use MD core transformer. But there are no manufacturers who produce such transformers, or are they very rare.

MD core transformer ? How it look ?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
commercial offerings of the japanese amps not only used a copper belly band, they also wrapped a mu metal band around the periphery of the EI core, two laps around in most cases i have seen to totally cover the whole of the EI traffo...

if you run EI's at low flux densities and very far from saturation, radiation will be much lower...

The physics doesn’t support that. But each to his own.

And in most EI power transformers, the secondary is wound over the primary so the interwinding capacitance is of the same order as a similarly powered torroid.

That is simply incorrect.
In a toroidal transformer the surface area between primary and secondary is multiples larger than in an EI, so by definition there is more capacitive coupling (not taking screens into consideration).

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Note I said of the same order.

For EI’s wound on the opposite arms of the windows - typical for PCB mount types (see for example Piltron transformers) - the interwinding capacitance is indeed low. But for high power EI with secondary wound over the primary, the capacitance is hundreds of pF.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Like this.

Attachments

• E744E177-03DC-4DD3-AF28-C8A3C473DA74.jpeg
    E744E177-03DC-4DD3-AF28-C8A3C473DA74.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 157
The physics doesn’t support that. But each to his own.

the thing with EI's are the three air gaps compared to toroids' one and some see none at all, so that core saturation is less likely to happen in EI's compared to toroids, these air gaps also acts like relief valves albeit small valves...these gaps are also likely to be the source of emi...

the japanese must have realised this and so they wrapped mu metal shields along the periphery of the EI core.....they must have known something others did not...

i am just trying to second guess them, and this mumetal wrapping of the core is something not available to most diy'ers like me....i have been winding my own irons for more than 40 years now, not as commercial entity but purely as a hobby..

there are also naysayers for the copper belly bands, so i guess it really boils down to individual preference....if only someone could conduct a study and come up with data..

but for my traffo builds, low flux density compared to commercial traffo is normal practice been doing that for ages...

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's a senseless option when the right core material is apparently not available.
What does make sense is a UI core, which is the geometric (not electromagnetic!) equivalent to a single c-core.
Like this:

Seems your opinion doesn't count for much in these matters. They are supplied just like I showed and I’ve used them for hi-pot applications in industrial electronics.

Any more comments on the EI interwinding capacitance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.