Are soundbars the future?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Actually, 'external active speaker / speaker set' is a more accurate description, but a single word for that does not occur to me immediately.
In English it only lasts when it is lazy so a single word or a 3 or 4 letter acronym like:

13. EASE *External Amplifier Speaker Enhancement.

But I have done enough and almost no one is interested so I keep calling them soundmøbel©®.

"Wow John, that is a beautiful soundmøbel you have made yourself. Is that mahogany?"

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That is an old term for something different isn't it? Darn! You are right. It is the old stereo furniture but that is very close to todays furniture like loudspeakers with built in amplifiers.

You are the winner! Just this weekend of course.

Eh... what when it is 5.1?!??!

Reactions: 1 user
Soundbars have a use for day to day TV viewing as TV speakers these days are poor. I use a cheap Yamaha 2.0 3-way and gives a much better and fuller presentation. It has the capabilities for adding a sub but it's not required for general viewing.

I also have a 5.1 HT system in there for movies and a stereo system for music but for day to day TV use, the soundbar is adequate.

One other thing is the convenience such as the volume is controlled by the TV remote or source remote (with TV volume buttons). I use it with a PVR from TV via HDMI ARC and BDP attached to the soundbar and when I go to watch the BDP, the source changes automatically and when the BDP is turned off it goes back to the PVR source.

The convenience of hdmi switching and data through capability is a huge plus. Hdmi caries alot of info and makes interconnecting sources so easy. My oppo player has the I2S embedded into Hdmi which allows me to pull the hi res audio from most sources to my rme dac. The auto switching and power off is another huge benefit.