Are Piezo Tweeters frowned upon?

I salvaged a pair of mini piezos and was thinking of adding them as super-tweeters.
Do they need a cap? They were originally installed behind 2.2uF?
Do they need a resistor? What does the resistor do?

ceramic.jpg

Using a transformer with zobel, and hopefully rolling before its resonance, they are amazing.

Otherwise, actively crossed outside of their resonance perhaps with a resistor, some are amazing.

Search djk on audio asylum under the high efficiency forum.
But, true Motorola piezo haven't been made in what, 20 years ?

Reactions: 1 user
Try making a frequency response measurement of the piezo. The cheap ones with plastic horn which I tried, had a terrible resonance at 5 kHz.

Sometimes a small piezo is added to a full-range driver. Technically, this makes it a two-way speaker, which it will say on the box. ;)

Since they present a pure capacitance as an impedance, the resistor actually acts like a cap would for a dynamic (magnet - coil) speaker. A resistor forms a high-pass filter when in series. It's sorta counterintuitive.
No, the resistor would be a low pass filter. Usually the cut-off is at around 30 kHz, so it does not really do much acoustically. It is added for the reason stated by @Jeffh01.

Last edited:
Just to reiterate >
Adding series resistance to a Piezo does create a low-pass filter. How much you 'hear' depends on the R value.
Adding series capacitance to a Piezo creates volume level reduction. And once again, the value determines what you hear.
The common practice of adding 10 ohms series is to protect BOTH amplifier and driver.

with one KSN1016 (original) and stepup transformer I got ~103dB @2.83v input and 1/10 of one percent distortion.

Here''s some application notes from the late and great "DJK" (Dennis
Kleitsch)

DJK KSN1016A APPLICATION.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Here's a Peavey Piezo CDM horn that's used in many of their speakers.
If I'm not mistaken, the resistor is 50 ohms.

The piezos are Motorola. The cheap ones are very jagged in their response.
I would avoid them.

Attachments

• HORN_2_RAW.gif
    HORN_2_RAW.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 94
  • PEAVEY CDM HORN.jpg
    PEAVEY CDM HORN.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 93
  • MOTOROLA PIEZO.jpg
    MOTOROLA PIEZO.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: 1 user