Are class D amplifier only good for subwoofer speakers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
Hi a.wayne!
I totally agree with you. I had nearly a dozen of several type Class-D amps in last few years, but their sounds are more or less like you described. Every class-D have their own character, e.g. they reveal the sound of the violin typically as if it were plastic-coated varnish instead. One of my friend had this to say: "This is a false presence"

Best Regards
egra
My 'subjectivism' is just the opposite. My first amp/receiver of any significant value(at least for me), was a Pioneer SC-05 HT receiver. Not your audiophile dream for sure, but for me it is one of the best sound class D amplifiers. It uses the B&O ICEPower amps and the power, sound and sonics just flows out of the speakers as effortlessly as possible, with some of the smoothest sound I've ever heard. Granted, I've never heard really high-end gear, but I'm now a firm believer in the class D design. With this particular Elite receiver, Pioneer chose to partner with Air Studio to further optimize the sound. The results in IMO are rather stunning and the sonic charateristics of this receiver's amplifier stage have become my reference. Interestingly, my 2nd best sounding amp is my DIY IRS2092. :)

Check this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp.html
It is the best price/performance ratio Class-D amp IMHO, although it has 50W output power only, works pretty well with a simple laptop PS. You will not be disappointed.

Regards
egra
Another option for class D amp module can be found here. At ~$29USD per channel, it's a bargain basement price, but sounds very good indeed.

BTW, along and zoe-tsang are the only authorized distributors for the LJM modules.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.