Arduino+PGA2311 Ultimate PreAmp with OLED and IO switching

Sorry, sorry, you are right, I measured my XR+DAC and D50, they both are around 2Vrms, probably the same as other sources I have, since I did not hear any difference while switching sources. I probably slipped the decimal point and forgot about it.

Now with that error on my part behind us, how is that going to be a problem for +-5V, even +-4.75V rails? 2Vrms barely reaches 3V peak.

As for your other suggestion, it is easily possible to do a slight mod in the schematics to use 7806 instead 7805 before converting it to +-5V rails, on the same pcb. I don't think there will be an audible and measurable difference though, I will test when the needed parts arrive.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Just because designing with absolute minimum supply voltages is not good design practice as specifications might not be met completely when the +/-4.75V are in reality +4.70 and -4.65V..... Also that famous 2V rms standard is often higher than 2Vrms....So the situation is in some aspects too tight but I explained that before so no need to repeat. There should be room to breathe.

The device needs a symmetric PSU to solve matters 100%. A switcher operating in the audible range is best omitted.

"2Vrms barely reaches 3V peak". True but please think of opamps that have outputs that have a maximum output voltage swing way below rail voltages... +/- 5V only works when IC's are specifically designed for these voltages like the PGA.

Essentially +/- 5V will work OK in your design but as written before, the design misses a few things so it can be better.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
OK your BOM says TPS60401 which runs in the audible range. The predescribed limitation of a single power supply is what causes all the annoyances :D This while almost any small transformer has 2 secondary windings. Just a small 2 x 7V 7VA Talema (standard voltage in their toroid range) or Rcore and it is solved. If LDO regs are used a 2 x 6V might work out OK.

Last edited:
Lets not try to solve a problem before it reveals itself:) These are the measurements through my Scarlet 2i2 external sound card.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    292.9 KB · Views: 570
  • 2.png
    2.png
    333.8 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
The T.I. PGA2311 totally BLOWS and is simply NO match for the MUSES 72320 when it comes to SQ.

LOL...Musical Fidelity is now just one of many companies who's having their garbage products manufactured to a low price point in CHINA.
Musical Fidelity's BEST products, which were designed by Antony Michaelson and manufactured in England years ago, NEVER used the crappy-sounding PGA2311 chip!

I see now why MUSES 72320 did not post THD on the very first page of datasheet:
Total Harmonic Distortion 1 THD1 f=1kHz,VIN=1Vrms
BW=400Hz-30kHz - 0.0005 - %
PGA2311:
0.0002% THD+N at 1 kHz (A-Grade)

I can't, I don't have 72320 to test. I can only compare to LDR Pre MkII, so we will see how it goes when I get chance to do that.

I see that there was lot of trashing on PGA series, probably due to poor chinese or other questionable implementation. I also see that people even reported lock ups and volume bursts. I experienced none of the above so far in my setup, and it has been heavily abused for at least two weeks.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Questionable implementation like lack of buffer opamps and omitted AC coupling often is seen in the cheap Chinese designs. That is true. However, it can depend on the sources a user connects to the device. A good design should therefor be equiped with the in practice proven necessities.

Good thing is that the cheap designs do use symmetric +/- 5V power supplies :D

Last edited: