• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anybody using a tube amp in their car?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Fellas- I am very new to this forum, but a long time mobile audio buff. I spent about 20 years in 12v retail, owned a very high end shop. Years ago I was a Milbert amp dealer. I am in the process of building a very high end car system and have been looking for tube amps to run a mid/tweeter active (B&W Matrix 801 mids, B&W Silver Signature tweeters). The Milberts are now about $4,000 ea, out of my budget. I would love to build my own.
If anyone is willing to share their design, I would be VERY grateful. I know nothing about designing an amp, but I know sound. Thanks in advance! Mike
You need some Electronic experience and choice an "residential" design (like Milbert desing: is an old good trusted Berning design). The filaments are easy, like I explained in my amp photo post. But the real true trouble is to make the HV SMPS, this requires some experience.
My design is low power (14W/channel) due to output valve size but I post here the schema if people want.

Last edited:
I used in my project an el-cheapo China inverter (to 220V with chopper output). I added an choke to make them DC regulated (LC output rectifier). With the that supply I regulated to 275V and maintain regulated to 11V from battery.
For completness... that China SMPS originally have 2 sections: one DC-DC with more than 300Vdc unregulated and a second simple SMPS to "chop" the DC into an square wave with regulated Ton, to make an fake sinewave (at least not 100% square...). I eliminated that sector and put an secondary reference with optocoupler to regulate ~270Vdc (adjustable to some %). I compensated the regulation to regulate almost only DC (very low bandwidth, to make them "open loop" in audio and remove 100% the probably of instabilities) and used an 1.8mH choke for regulation (regulated push-pull SPMS need an choke for regulation in LC config). These 1.8mH is from an old flyback SMPS (and have some gap and not saturate in my tests).
This costs near nothing to implement, regulates well and stay very cool!

Very cool. I like it. Here is one I completed building a couple of weeks ago.

20150724_194705_zpsevnehd3i.jpg

20150724_194552_zpsexmvemji.jpg

20150724_171702_zpshsy1souo.jpg
Sometimes the pictures posted do not appear on my screen (such as in this case). Maybe my browser configuration or firewall?
(but all images posted on the "attached thumbnails" appear to me)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.