• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anybody using a tube amp in their car?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No it's not, do your research, my car is a 944.

Typical jealous statements, I have heard them all before.

A 944 has a 944 engine designed for a 944 based on half a 928 engine.

I have even been told it's a kit car, seriously who get's a 944 kit car?

Now show me how to put this large 2.5L into a transport, or produce one single picture.

I've never heard or seen a VW van hitting 6K on the tach. lol

Well, putting a tube amp in any car is a bit of a challenge... so I have to admire your goals and your 944 should be a good candidate provided the alternator can handle the output requirements.

Being a bit of a car nut, some of your above responses had me laughing as well.... so to keep the humor alive for a few more posts:

1- Research done... you're correct, it's a 944, albeit one with a few weight-saving options.

2- Jealous statements... for a 944? You're kidding right?

3- Cutting an existing engine in half is not design work... Pontiac did it with the Tempest 20 years earlier, they even had the transmission in the rear with a flexible drive shaft.... possible inspiration for Ferry?

4- 944 kit car.. agreed, none exist that I've seen.

5- The engine in a VW transport... agreed, too expensive for a van.

6- VW van hitting 6K on the tach... well, it might... but only once ;-)

But seriously, neat project.... like the dynamotor idea... truly classic.

Regards, KM

PS - true Porsche fans should visit the recently completed (2009) museum in Stuttgart...the building alone is worth the trip.

Yes believe it or not, people do get jealeous of a 944, I get completely different reactions from people with that car then others, the arms automatically get crossed and people huff VW or kit car. It is really funny seeing somebody put out by such an inexpensive car.

The engine is based on half a 928 engine. Design efforts were needed to make it balanced with four cylinders missing. Aside from the displacement they are not that much alike, very few parts could be exchanged between the two.
Somebody had to design it, they did not just cut a V8 mold in half and say "here ya go".

I don't think F. Porsche was inspired by the Pontiac Tempest. As you may or may not know Porsche's most successful was the VW Beetle, which had the transmission in the back, along with the 911 and many others including mine.
They also have mid engined car's like the 914 or Cayenne.

All off Porsche's effort's were based on previous results. Just like the fact that the 911 is an air-cooled rear-engined car, inspired by his greatest success, the VW Beetle.

The 944 has perfect balancing front to back due to it's front engine-rear transmission set up, that was the intention, the car turns like a go cart. Very few cars are this fast through the turns, front or rear engined would under/over steer long before this car leaves the track.

Geez, I have not even had my morning coffee and you already got me going...lol

Sorry Globug... couldn't resist... as I've already had my morning coffee ;-). I'm quite familiar with Porsche cars.... and was kidding on the engine being cut in half... but you started that one ;-)

The VW Bug started it all... and it was commissioned by Adolf Hitler himself no less. Few people know that Porsche also consulted with GM for the Chevy Corvair.... pretty sure Ferry himself was driving them back and forth to work for several decades (part of the consulting deal... he got a handful of the cars).

I've also driven dozens of Porsche cars over the decades... street and track both here and in Germany (autobahn). Fun cars overall, but I've never liked the rear engine setup. I was invited to a Porsche event earlier this year at the Palm Beach racetrack. Great day in all... got to drive the mid-engined Boxster/Cayman cars plus the rear-engined 911 cars. Much fun, but the Cayman R is probably the best of all from a driver's view. The Carrera GT is an amazing machine... would be a pity to play audio as it would interfere with the V10 song out back.

If you want a better go-kart feeling, drive an Elise or Exige :D

Based on the pic, I'm assuming you're in the process of a full restoration??

Regards, KM

A loose restoration if you will. It was not a perfect specimen so I am taking some liberties with it. eg- I snubbed the bumpers, removed the bumper pads, shaved a few body seams etc.

The motor is strong, I did that over first, before going to the effort of painting it etc.
I guess I'm at the "fun" stage were I can put things back together now.

Here is my dream car, I don't know if I can find one in my snack bracket, heck I would even take a "kit car" version!

OK I better get back on track now. lol

Attachments

• porsche_356_coupe_51.jpg
    porsche_356_coupe_51.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 339
I cant see the point unless you are doing an authentic restoration.

The car environment is far from an ideal listening environment.

Now, a mobile home or caravan offers a different experience, but more would have to be done on the listening environment before tackling the audio chain.

TUBES are by their mechanical nature "microphonic" devices. Why would you want to build an amplifier that is inherently susceptible to vibration.

Unless of course you are made of money and just love a challenge.

Last edited:
You got to live a little.

I hate driving, well I enjoy the act of driving, but hate insurance, gas prices, paying even more insurance on a "work" truck, inflated car payments and interest, the lack of quality and durability of said over priced cars, bla bla blah.

So you find what enjoyment out of life you can. I enjoy having as good of sound as reasonably possible in my cars.
You can't help but get butterflies in your stomach at times when you drive even a lowly 944, add to that some sunshine, the right mood and the smell of vintage....well I guess it's how you define "ideal".

Car audio has it's drawbacks mainly fighting road noise, but it can be reasonably easy to improve a factory setup. It just takes a little more effort then a "home" system.

LOL - In Canada you have it easy.

Try saying the same in the UK.

I assume that all that you have quoted is similar to USA.

In UK I drive an X Type Jag that costs over $42000 to buy new (Mines far from new). My insurance is $650 a year. It does about 8 MPG around town with fuel prices at $9.6 a gallon (UK gallon).

I'd love to live in the US.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 316
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
I think you have it easy, Canada is a BIG country, most of us need cars to survive.

You guys can zip all over the place over there.

If I lived in the Europe I would just use a bike or transit to get around, or even a scooter.

Heck you could fit most of Europe in Ontario by itself.

You guys pay a lot for gas, but you don't really go anywhere so it's relative I guess.

The Jag does over 40MPG on a run. Its just hopeless around town. Two tonnes of car takes a lot of fuel to get moving.

Mu Mum and Dad are over 250 miles away, My Daugter is 200 miles away and my Son 600 miles away. There are comparisons everywhere.

I drive 550 km (about 350 miles) ... to work. My last job involved driving anywhere from 50 miles (short trip) to 200 miles (a blt longer) to the jobsite in the morning, back home at night. Every day. IN a van that gets 11 mpg (Imperial gallon) highway, pulling a trailer and both full of tools and equipment.

An aunt visited from England one summer. We were on our way to a nearby lake --- about 40 miles ... when she opined that we must be near Vancouver by now, and she would like to look up an old friend. Vancouver is 1050 miles away (17.5 hours driving). Another morning she suggested we might visit Toronto that day (30 hours driving).

Even though we're roughly half way between Vancouver and the capital of Canada, Ottawa, it's shorter to drive to Los Angeles (27.5 hours driving) than Ottawa (34 hours driving) from here. Each of the Canadian drives above involve setting foot in 3 provinces.

Washington DC (capital of the US, and on the Atlantic coast) is 1.5 hours closer than Ottawa (capital of my own country, and 14 hours west of the Atlantic Coast of Canada).

A mid-sized province in Canada is roughly the size of Texas. You can fit three Texas's in Quebec.

I would think nothing of hopping in the car and driving 250 miles for a weekend trip, on the spur of the moment, no planning at all. Pack a few things in a bag and go.

It's different.

Last edited:
I've been thinking to build a tube amp to my next project. Is there any real DIY-project going on somewhere, or are you guys so gurus so you keep building the in the shades? :D

Idea of my project is to mount big full ranges as front stage, use a-class single ended tube amp ( possibly DIY, if i get hold of the secrets here ) and high-end headunit, McIntosh, Azzdest, Clarion, Denon etc. No time delays, no equ, no nothing if it is possible. For EMMA-competition use, we need to move the seats in the middle of the car, so we can get the front stage wide without time delays.

Enclosures etc for the full ranges are a mystery at the moment, like the car itself.

If you have any ideas about building the amp, i would be so happy.

- Tero

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.