Anybody into older, classic looking gear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: More Pioneer

fmak said:

-----------------------------------------

Stock, it doesn't sound very good. Suitably damped to reduce resosnance in the arm/casework with feet removed, it easily beats the Linn and others. I bought mine for less than $150.

Really? What you do for feet and how about more info on damping, I didn't know that unit could beat Linn. I bought mine for $200.

Re: Re: Re: More Pioneer

Peter Daniel said:

Really? What you do for feet and how about more info on damping, I didn't know that unit could beat Linn. I bought mine for $200.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Start with damping chasis. But the key area is the guide rail and carriage for the arm. I used sorbothane grommets and bitumen strips. The whole thing probably needs a clean up. Use spikes in place of the feet, and reinforce the support area. Unit must be levelled precisely and mounted on wall support. The player works very well with a Dynavector XX1L.

If you guys decide to build a preamp don't be afraid to put some extra features.;) The user of this one can't complain.;)

Attachments

• yamaha.jpg
    yamaha.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,735
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I'm currently using these in my system. AR SP4 Pre-Amp (Video and tuner) from the 80's and a Heathkit AD 1702 electronic xover (Sub-Bass) from the mid-70's. I used to love playing with the Heathkit stuff. I still use the Heathkit Audio Generator and FET VOM (Analog to 100kHz). In the 60's, we had two stores in our area (Detroit).

Rodd Yamas***a

Attachments

• ar_pre_xover_01.jpg
    ar_pre_xover_01.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,319
Re: All Show, No Go

Peter Daniel said:
And this is what it's all about. Just looks and nothing more.;) I don't even try to listen to those pieces. But I've always entertained the idea of building something really high end in one of those boxes. If only I had enough time.;)
----------------------------------------------------
This is a generalisation. There are some good sounding stuff. The Leak valve tuner and the Marantz tuner are excellent. Also some Japanese high end ones like the Pioneer CX, CZ and HZ amplicaation components.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Peter,

What, do you run the Toronto Royal Audio Museum?

Eric,

I would want anyone to think I've been swayed by my ancestory.:D (that smiley thing looks like a caricature of a Oriental person)

I do have the "Jap-Crap" in my system, an it can be characturized as "old".

Here's my Nak' BX300 and Technics SL1700. The Nak' is for when I'm lazy, but I can do some real listening with the 1700 (with a Grado).

Rodd Yamas***a

Attachments

• bx_300_sl1700_01.jpg
    bx_300_sl1700_01.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,238
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.