• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Any pretty good/bad Chinese amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As far as the sound goes, non of my amps so far have been very objective in doing their jobs because they have all sounded different through the years. I currently have an AMC power amp, Proton integrated amp, Trends TA10.1 and an Onkyo receiver. The Peach is much more involving and revealing (brutally so on lousy recordings) than any of the other amplifiers I have owned. I have never heard the 300B in action unfortunately so I cannot compare it to the FU50.

My Sweat Peach amp came in too.

Here's the packaging it came in. No, it's not adequate. A binding post snapped off and there's a dent in the front panel.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

HOWEVER, according to the EMS slip, the shipping cost was 1971 RMB. Converted to US dollars, that is more than I paid for the entire auction ($270). Someone is losing money here.

Here's another picture of innards

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The power transformer appears to be wired for 220V operation. The manufacturer simply added a 110V to 220V transformer in front of the original power transformer. There's nothing wrong with this. It just makes the voltage switch on the IEC socket useless.

Here's another picture with the amp stacked on top of my Yarland 845 amp.

The volume control is actually a stepped attenuator. That's pretty cool.

Considering it has a phono preamp and USB DAC, this is one hell of a deal. The sound is good. It's got lots of power. The transients are decently fast and the bass is substantial.

I'm definitely happy with this buy.

Wow thats a real bargain ! But ive still got the feeling that the transformers are bad wounded or something.

Had any one had problems with the trannies so far ?

I have the very plentiful and affordable GU50's playing in my amp right now, not a huge improvement over the FU50 just much easier to come by. No problems at all with the transformers but I do have a very, very slight hum (60hz?) with the volume all the way down, perhaps a result of the very simple a/c heater supplies.

I have been seriously considering leaving the tube world after enjoying el-84, el34 and 300b based amps. Now that I was just looking through this thread I realize that I may have to get the Sweet Peach FU-50, if I can find it at a reasonable price.
I was looking at the hlly website and there they only had a version with two FU-50's per channel and I'd really rather opt for the single ended version.

I was looking at the hlly website and there they only had a version with two FU-50's per channel and I'd really rather opt for the single ended version.
edit: Hey, I didn't know that was an option; but I can't find it (I am on hlly.cn)... can you link? I've read the FU50 to be like a 6550 on steroids. And all my 2-tube/channel 6550 PP amps are rated @ 50 watts (biased A/AB I'm sure). I haven't found it but I'm willing to bet the amp you are talking about is 25 - 30w. So I gotta figure that amp is running quite easy at that 'lower' power, and probably sounds very effortless.

Last edited:
That amp's been in my watch list. But I'd never buy it. You're lucky that you're much closer to China. I have to assume shipping is much cheaper to you. Because that seller charges $190 / amp to ship to the US! :eek: :confused: :dead: So I'd opt to go for this amp on that fact alone:
New FU50 6AK5 Class A Tube Integrated Stereo Amplifier - eBay (item 260548320908 end time Mar-06-10 09:08:08 PST)

the only correct thing is: both are pentodes. the LS50 = GU50 = FU50 was developped by Telefunken, Berlin, for the German airforce in WWII as transmitter / AM modulator power tube in about 1940. its plate dissipation is quite high given in the datasheet and it is allowed to glow slightly at the given 40W dissipation. for audio use, i is better to stay below that point. The russians found that tube in crshed german airplaines and copied that, but changed the socket a bit, later gave that knowledge ( even tooling ? ) to the chinese.
The FU50 needs a different operation point than the 6550.

edit: Hey, I didn't know that was an option; but I can't find it (I am on hlly.cn)... can you link? I've read the FU50 to be like a 6550 on steroids. And all my 2-tube/channel 6550 PP amps are rated @ 50 watts (biased A/AB I'm sure). I haven't found it but I'm willing to bet the amp you are talking about is 25 - 30w. So I gotta figure that amp is running quite easy at that 'lower' power, and probably sounds very effortless.

I was not really paying attention, the amp with doube fu50's is called Music Curve D-2020-FU50 Vacuum Tube Amplifier

Link is here. hllyaudio.com/tube-amplifier

299-310$ for the Sweet Peach models incl. shipping... too bad they do not have the single end FU50.

That amp's been in my watch list. But I'd never buy it. You're lucky that you're much closer to China. I have to assume shipping is much cheaper to you. Because that seller charges $190 / amp to ship to the US! :eek: :confused: :dead: So I'd opt to go for this amp on that fact alone:
New FU50 6AK5 Class A Tube Integrated Stereo Amplifier - eBay (item 260548320908 end time Mar-06-10 09:08:08 PST)
Thanks, that is much better . But I'm not that much closer to Chine, shipping to Serbia is 140$ , I got quote from manufacturer directly :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.