Another F5 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
to TRISMOS

Dennis Hui is right.

If your target is 600 mV (0.6 Volt) then you can bias your F5 as a starting point to 0.45 Volt (450mV). Always watch your offset at loudspeakeroutput. Then let it cook for 30 minutes (because your 'baby' will become warmer!). Check the heat on the FETs and always keep an eye on your DMMs! Don't go away from the amp - watch your DMMs and temp!

I am sometimes overcautious! But I want to avoid that your values or heat is
running away.
No burning amp anymore! ;)

Greets
Dirk

Dennis Hui is right.

If your target is 600 mV (0.6 Volt) then you can bias your F5 as a starting point to 0.45 Volt (450mV). Always watch your offset at loudspeakeroutput. Then let it cook for 30 minutes (because your 'baby' will become warmer!). Check the heat on the FETs and always keep an eye on your DMMs! Don't go away from the amp - watch your DMMs and temp!

I am sometimes overcautious! But I want to avoid that your values or heat is
running away.
No burning amp anymore! ;)

Greets
Dirk

Thanks Dirk! Will give it a whirl tomorrow night.

Dave

Here's the latest pic with a different DMM on the speaker posts. What am I looking to do or avoid with the reading there?

35-20190604_192503.jpg

These were the readings when I first powered up. After about 5 minutes R7 & 8 are at 259 and the posts are at 65

Set it higher and adjusted to get 0 at the terminals.

View attachment 760980

Thx
Dave

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Looking great!!

Set the bias to read 0.55 across the resistors with zero offset and do the other channel.

When that one is biased and happy, place the lid on the top and wait 1/2hr.

Then check it again, if things haven't drifted off into the weeds set 0.6 across the resistors with zero offset, screw the lid on and then play some Shpongle.

Looking great!!

Set the bias to read 0.55 across the resistors with zero offset and do the other channel.

When that one is biased and happy, place the lid on the top and wait 1/2hr.

Then check it again, if things haven't drifted off into the weeds set 0.6 across the resistors with zero offset, screw the lid on and then play some Shpongle.

Are we more concerned with the offset being zero or the bias reading the same for both resistors?

Hello Trismos,

your values looking very good so far. Keep the offset at loudspeaker posts as low as possible (will fluctuate a bit - up and down - thats normal).
My values at the bias- resistors are always a bit different (difference between the
P-channel - and N-channel- MOSFETs).

For example: you get the loudspeakeroffset to 0.5mV - your values at the bias resistors will be anywhere around 450 mV and 460mV - perhaps better/closer.

You will listen to beautiful music pretty soon. But don`t get into a hurry! ;)

Greets
Dirk

Per Nelson:

Technically, the junctions of the devices are rated at 150 deg C. If you are
running as high as 50 watts per device, then you will want to measure well less
than 100 deg C on the case (you can use a cheap Radio Shack IR thermometer).
Don't expect them to have a long life span at those figures, but I have seen
reasonable reliability at 25 deg less junction temp.

I run at 700mv easily and others have gone higher.

So yet again I seem to be having an issue. I have hooked up the left channel exactly as I had the right channel but I am getting no readings from R7 or 8. Nor is the speaker terminal value changing. The LED is on, and I have +22 ish between V+ and GND and -22 ish between V- and GND. turning either trim pot nets me no changes anywhere. I have turned each 10 full turns without any of the DMMs responding and I don't want to go further.
Gads.
When I finally get this sucker going, this whole post is going to be a gold mine of what to watch out for.....
Advice on trouble shooting?

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.