Another F5 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hmmm... I agree with McQuade, keep turning. That fact that you have zero offset at the moment is (kinda) good.

The other thing I'd check is to make sure that the ZTX450 and 550 are in the right spots. They appear to be facing the proper way, but make sure the devices themselves are not transposed.

So you don't have enough voltage to turn on the mosfets. :(

And this is after you've turned P1 and P2 a number of times? What
resistances are you seeing across R5 and R6?

What resistances/voltages do you see across R3 and R4?

Just stopped by for lunch and thought I'd check the resistances on the right channel that I have dialed in (I believe - see above) to compare with the left I am trying to get going. F6 is .648k and F5 is 1.612K. Seems to be quite the difference no?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Not really. There are three things working in concert to get the bias set, per side, and as there’s almost always a volt difference in Vgs between the N and P channel mosfet, id actually say it’s normal, and having equal resistances would be very very rare.

Hello and my apologies for being away without finishing up here - summer got in the way.
I spent a couple of hours this afternoon going over where I left off: I powered up and checked the Right channel: R7 is .598dcv, R8 is .592dcv and the speaker terminal is .01dcv.
I zeroed out the pots again for the left channel (down to .2 ohm) and started over but as before, there is never any change at R7, 8, or the terminals. Dennis mentions I need 3.5v across R5 and 6 to get anything through to 7 or 8 but I get no voltages across 5 or 6 either, doesn't matter what I do with the pots.
I have a corresponding 22.69v at the V- & V+ on both channel boards.
Q5 & 6 are installed correctly as are Q1 & 2.

20190915_161624.jpg

20190915_161633.jpg

20190915_165315.jpg

Troubleshooting suggestions in basic plumber english would be appreciated.

Dave

Last edited:
The Left Channel is not getting those results. No matter what I do with the pots, I get no change whatsoever at R7 or 8 nor at the speaker terminal. If I had started with this channel I might be thinking I'm measuring incorrectly but as you said, The Right channel came out pretty much perfect so I know I'm setting the pots to zero(ish) and which way to turn them correctly as well as checking voltages properly.

Check the resistance between the Source pin of the 2SJ74 and the ground on your power supply board.

Do the same between the Source pin of the 2SK170 and the ground on your PSU board.

Your second picture shows you measuring the voltage across R5 and R6. Are those zero? If so, are both sides of R5 24V, and both sides of R6 -24V?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.