Angling for 90° - tangential pivot tonearms

we have an interesting tonearm here that pivots in all directions. Check it out!

Wow. Kind of steampunk in a way, Victorian 19c engineering at its most florid. What would be the effective mass? All those single point bearings, all adjustable. My Dad used to call the Vincent motorcycle "a collection of solutions in search of a problem". Thanks for that, directdriver. I love this thread; I am beginning to suspect that the arm that exhibits completely perfect tracking geometry is one that just doesn't work as an arm. Like a stopped clock shows the right time twice a day only.

Cheers Steve

It looks like that over-engineered Japan arm addresses another problem: change in VTA on warped records, together with tangency. That problem is real, and solution is interesting. At least someone tried to do something about it. I'm not talking here about turntable flattening ring etc. I've tried something alike myself, just not satisfied with results. Solves one problem for the cost of creating other ones...

It looks like that over-engineered Japan arm addresses another problem: change in VTA on warped records, together with tangency. That problem is real, and solution is interesting. At least someone tried to do something about it. I'm not talking here about turntable flattening ring etc. I've tried something alike myself, just not satisfied with results. Solves one problem for the cost of creating other ones...

Hi all.

I've been posting in several related threads but not here before.
Unfortunately just keeping the cartridge level will have very little effect in reducing VTA error. The angle through which the arm rotates on its vertical pivot is relatively small. The vast majority of VTA error is due to the angle of the surface of the record, for the surface to go up and down the surface must tilt. Whilst researching for my arm build I measured the actual warps of a random selection of my collection. Very time consuming but it gave great data. The effective length of an arm would have to be only about 30mm before pivot VTA error was as significant as the surface angle VTA error. A vastly simpler solution to VTA error is a good reflex clamp. Some problems are better dealt with at the deck and not the arm.

Niffy

steampunk

More pictures of the multi-pivot tonearm, in disassembled mode.

e0193247_2243642.jpg

e0193247_225195.jpg

e0193247_2252810.jpg

e0193247_21123088.jpg

According to Google Translate, the text says the arm squeaks(!) so the maker has to pad it with some cotton! Hilarious!

e0193247_19503353.jpg

We might laugh all we want but I bet the maker was having a fun time building this!

One is not enough, you gotta make two!

e0193247_2214106.jpg

e0193247_2152675.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

e0193247_2145773.jpg

e0193247_2154799.jpg

John Cage would approve of this tonearm. :D

e0193247_002510.jpg

e0193247_23593265.jpg

e0193247_012622.jpg

Easy does it

Today I saw the Thales Easy tonearm in person at an audio show and it's really delicate and beautiful. It was a silent display so I couldn't hear it. I did see it pivoting and it's extremely low friction and smooth. Too bad I didn't take a picture. It only confirms to me that this is how I wish the Simplicity should be made using the tetragon geometry. Too bad the Easy has to resort to the Burne-Jones type geometry. The guiding rod does not have to deal with vertical movement at all, only affects horizontal plane. Clever. Here's an hi-rez graphic image for today. If I can take a close up picture tomorrow, I will post it here.

Thales Easy

Not the best resolution picture but you can a idea of its construction. Counterweight is not shown. This is so much more elegant than the other Thales arms that I wish they can make the Simplicity this way using the "tetragon" geometry.

The adjusting screw on the headshell bearing tells me that play/friction is absolutely crucial, and probably perfection hard to achieve on the Easy arm.

I agree. I think the RS Labs style headshells try to achieve equal mass around the pivot but adding a "counterweight" at the opposite side of the cartridge mount. I think that helps to lessen the bearing friction. Of course at the same time it increases the overall mass at the headshell.

IMG_54703.jpg

RS Labs type of headshell...It looks like nobody understands how it really works, including it"s designer. Why headshell pivot point is on the same axe with diamond tip (and not with the cantilever pivot point)? OK, lets assume it still is able to decouple horizontal part of vibrations, so what about the vertical part of them? What good it may do to the stereo sound, recorded 45degrees by 45 degrees, where half of each channel signal comes from vertical modulations?
Actually, listening test will answer if that design works. One part with recommended setup, another- with rigidly fixed pivot point. May be I'll try to do it and share results here.