And what did we buy today?

MF X-Can V2 X-PSU

Found these puppies at local thrift store today for 20€. Missing the cord between the PSU and the amp, so haven't fired it up yet. Lunch mission will be finding or soldering a chord. Just have figure out what size connectors.

Seems to lend itself very well to modding, so working or not, I expect to have a lot of fun with it. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 190
A Kenwood Excelon DMX706S for the car, along with a backup camera.

After first modifying the factory head unit in my car a few years back, I recently had the displeasure of the processor not recognizing the CD player, so set about finding a flash media player to replace the CD source. After a day of installing that gizmo, I had the displeasure of the first startup producing smoke from the media player. It was a 5v power supply that didn’t like being soldered to that passed 12 volts into it before dying itself.

I figured it was time to try something outside of the diy tweaker approach.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
And what did we buy today?

A fokking mouse. A fokking $69 mouse. From a company which can't take care of simple business.

I am only mildly demanding. I don't game. I do ask for a back-button under my thumb. Single-click buttons. A wheel which knows which way it is going.

I have some otherwise excellent $3 mice which do not have a back button. For a decade I was addicted to the Microsoft Intellimouse, but the original is long-gone and multiple pre-owned Intellimice disappointed, the new version is not the same at all. I have $30 Logitechs which scroll up/down/up indistinguishably, and $13 Amazon's Pride mice with buttons which stutter-er-er-stut, or the back button is for someone else's thumb (who bends like that?).

Reviewer sites tout $99 and $169 mice. For that price they should play the game FOR you. (Some apparently can; pro e-sports limit certain types of mice.) Looking down-line, I considered a $29 SteelSeries because it claimed 60 million click buttons and TrueMove Pro sensor. Studying more I liked the $69 Sensei Ten better and it qualified for free shipping. I ordered.
Sensei Ten | SteelSeries

I got the confirmation email. I was supposed to get a Shipped note, but that never happened. More than a week later it still showed "preparing". I asked for status and got a clueless flurry of unhelpful emails, even the one "Did you try rebooting?" Finally I Googled "Steelseries gripes" and it turns out they are notorious for this.

Well, the darn mouse was on the porch this morning, works and feels OK. Of course many mice feel OK at first.

I'll NEVER order though SteelSeries again. Most of their stuff is on Amazon.

I received today a Mantiz Saturn egpu, to add more power to a 14" thinkpad.

It makes for a great thunderbold dock on top of the external gpu, providing power, a HDD sata slot, an ethernet port and 5 usb3 ports.

The only downside until now is that the fan of the PSU makes sometimes an unpleasant sound for a while at low power. It's not very audible but that thing sits on the desk... I might have to replace the PSU if it gets on my nerves too much.

I have a Corsair MMO mouse. It had a bunch of hardware programmable buttons which I bind keyboard shortcuts to...

My keyboard is a Red Dragon K556 with brown switches. I tent to be hard on my stuff... I've smashed many keyboards out of frustration in my younger days so it helps to get keyboards and mice partially made from metal.