And what did we buy today?

I am now the proud owner of 1k pieces of 2SJ449, a nice MOR P-channel fet from NEC. As a bonus, it's in an overmold package, so no heat sink interface headaches... The price was a steal - 3.5 cents apiece.

Did you open the NEC box yet? I bought a box of 1000 of these mosfets back in post 4700. Upon opening the NEC box I found that it did not contain 1000 fets as indicated on the outside of the box. Mine had 6 bags of 200 fets each, pushing the parts cost under 3 cents each. Add the cross country shipping cost and they were still under 5 cents each.

I plan to do some SOA testing on these to see how well they hold up in the linear region where I plan to use them. I'll also see what the THD is when running audio through them in a source follower circuit.

At 5 cents each I can afford to blow up a few from each bag to get some statistical data on how hard I can run them.....now if I can find my 20+ year old "six Sigma Shuffle" spreadsheet I invented when I was a product designer at Motorola, that will be easy.

You're welcome...

I bought a bunch of resistors (thousands) from LCSC including 1000 1M 1/2W MO resistors for $5 :)

Also ordered up some boards... I'm designing a modular tube amp. Take the VA/PI boards, add the drivers if you need them, pick the output boards, and voila. So far, the design should work with over 25 different types of output tubes, all triode strapped.

Last edited:
The other day I was taking a mental inventory of various pieces of car audio-related gear lying around, thinking about a minor upgrade to the system in the work vehicle. I suddenly realized that with the addition of just one more item, I could have an actual discrete (4.1) surround-sound setup with lots of DSP! I've been enjoying surround music at home for many years now, and the thought of extending this ability to the car sounds like too much fun to pass up.

The missing piece is a mini-PC. My plan is for something similar to the front-end I'm using at home, which is a small laptop running Foobar on Win10 and outputting multichannel HDMI audio. The car version will use local music storage in lieu of a network of course, although I'm hoping to be able to talk to it via WiFi while it's parked in the garage for things like uploading new music from time to time.

Anyway, today the post delivered a little box containing an even littler PC (MinisForum GN34, refurb). Damn thing was DOA! Sheesh. Looked pretty cool. Sure was tiny! :rolleyes:

(Sigh.) Hope to get a working replacement before I lose my energy on this nutty project, heh.

George -
My main reason for getting the NEC fets was to have a large quantity of p-channel devices from someone other than IR. NP has documented strange behavior of transconductance vs. frequency for IR p-channel devices (not so with IR n-channel). P-channel devices from vendors like Intersil and Fairchild don't exhibit this behavior. It may also be interesting to try the Motorola/On Semi equivalent device.
The gate capacitance of the NEC fets is higher than I'd like, but then, this is a rough IRF9640 equivalent, so no big surprises there.

Having said that, the price was also irresistible.... I've spent a lot more and gotten a lot less for my money.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had to replace an RF generator, so looking around on the Keysight Ebay store, I found an N9310A generator (current product) with the local oscillator upgrade installed. Result, now they are processing my N9310A generator for shipment to me and I can't use my Visa card for a long while.

Being that it is calibrated, I now have a more accurate RF source to align tuners with. It should last me a few decades I hope!

-Chris

I ordered the board and panel set for a Befaco Crush Delay module for my Eurorack modular synthesizer back in March.

I finally got it yesterday only to find out that the through hole PC board needed 1/8 watt resistors and some tiny electrolytic caps. I was missing a few other parts needed to build it, so I sat down in front of the Digikey web site and put a $90 dent in the credit card.