And what did we buy today?

I hope it's a proper wedge of truckle rind and all? As a student used to lust over the big truckles of cheddar the cheese stall at the market had. I just couldn't work out how to eat that much cheese. Now I know better :)

Of course !!

It's half the depth of the cheese so has the top and round edge of the rind.

Only one retail outlet and that is the village post office.

I just couldn't work out how to eat that much cheese.

You need alcohol, youth and a partner-in-crime

Several decades ago a mate and I were in Chamonix one summer and drifted into a Swiss restaurant serving raclette. You get a massive cheese and a single bar electric fire heater set up to melt the cheese which drips onto a plate underneath. You get some meat and veg with it but I don’t remember those ingredients. It’s a fixed price, eat what you want, since nobody can eat very much of the cheese in one sitting. Well, two cheeky brits left the restaurant that night with distended stomachs.....

Protool looks nice, but I already have access to all the features and more in ISTA, NCS-Expert, tool32 and winkfp.
With these tools you can also install used modules and change the vin number

I will try to replace the capacitors in the SGM today. If that doesn't work I'll go to the scrap yard and pick up a used module.

Scored a 16 port switch for $10 today, together with $50 eero mesh routers from a few days ago, my home network is the best it's ever been. Ironically, I wasn't looking to buy used, I was planning to step up to Wifi 6 on Boxing Day deals, but just checked online classifieds "just in case".

Never really needed anything fancy until this house. At my old house, a router in the basement at the panel reached everywhere. This house is 1/2 again larger, and wifi everywhere is more important with all my kids' school and activities online. The eero is bad because you are ceding privacy and control, but definately speeds things up doing what it does. Right now I'm running another cable so 2 of 3 mesh routers will be hardwired.

LCSC has become one of my favourite suppliers of passive components and discrete semiconductors, mainly because of their prices. For most of my ICs I still prefer the usual authorized distributors because of their proper handling & packaging of moisture sensitive parts.

For Christmas I decided to get all the supplies I need for home etching some PCBs. Learning how to properly do this has been on my to-do list for way too long.

Timney Featherweight Trigger for a 1903-A3 rifle set to 3# trigger pull.

I inherited the rifle in .243 Winchester when my father passed.

My dad had (unfortunately) modified the trigger pull for groundhog hunting and the pull was stupid light. My brother was hunting with it 20 years ago and when leaving the hunt started ejecting cartridges when it slam-fired. Fortunately it was pointed at the ground and not where it could do damage. I tried adjusting the trigger but was never confident enough to take it to the range.

Replacing the full trigger group is the sane and safe way to correct it.

I just nailed down 4000 pieces of a general purpose NPN transistor from BG Micro. Apparently, the founder bought a whole load of these from a defunct computer manufacturer back in the 80's. I just got the transistors, and they're made by Rohm. They appear to be based on TI's TIS92 general purpose spec, though the pinout is the std EBC rather than the TIS92 CBE.

Anyone wanting a bunch of knocking-around transistors for a pittance might want to look into this deal. Search for "house number" at the BG Micro web site.

Last edited:
I thought I still had some TIS92s, but can't find them.

I did find some TIS73s and TI136s though.

When I worked for TI they would occasionally purge stock and give the inventory to the Computer Club. Many of the transistors were lead prepped for specific boards, so the leads would be bent and cut. We then sold the parts at stupid cheap prices to club members.

In the early 80s we were building PC boards for IBM and would occasionally purge stock. People would buy the ICs, buy commercial clone boards and assemble PCs with them.

I had some old TIS92s knocking around a few years ago. I used their B-E junctions as stiff low-voltage zener diodes with a nice knee at low current. I ran across the idea in Electonic Design quite a few years ago touting the B-E junction of a 2N3638 as a tight low current zener diode. Most of the TIS92s in my parts bin got used as zeners...

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Among other things a stainless steel lunch box from Aldi Stainless Steel Lunchbox - ALDI Australia

Thought it would make a good project box when I want good RFI shielding.... I didn't realize till I found that link for the pic that it comes in three varients. I assumed it was just an empty box. It may have partitions. I gave it to my daughter to wrap as a present for me so I guess I'll find out on Christmas day :D

Tony.