And what did we buy today?

gorgeous looking piece of kit, I want one and I don’t even know what it does!

It is a digital music synthesizer.

It accepts MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) data and makes music. It can take this data from a musical instrument like a piano keyboard, or guitar with a MIDI interface, directly from a computer, or from a dedicated music sequencer.

The demonstrations on the company web site are pretty lame, since they just demo the sounds, not actual music. So does mine, but mine is still ugly. I'll try to get some real music made with this TSYNTH and some of my own DIY synthesizers in the next month or so.

This unit:

ElectroTechnique TSynth - Teensy 4.1 based DIY Synthesizer - YouTube

Older less powerful version:

ElectroTechnique TSynth - DIY Teensy Synth - YouTube

One of my DIY synths running the same CPU as their older version:

Teensy Synth Breadboard Test - YouTube

+1. I was looking for a wagon when I got my E90... Nice to have a "wagon" that still handles alas I couldn't find one that was manual, and affordable.

I sold my E91 325i 6mt this summer because I thought that I could live with one car (E87 118d). I still miss it.

Now the 1-series need some work on the rear suspension, but there was never enough time to take it out of duty. That's why I bought the e61. Unfortunately it's an automatic, there's almost none manual 5-series for sale here.
It's a tuned 525d with 290 000kms on it's back so I'm a bit worried about how long the transmission will last.
The car is in surprisingly good shape compared to the milage, so I hope that it will last for a few years.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yesterday I ordered 4 x Markaudio Pluvia 7HD drivers from Madisound. On sale (10 bucks off each).

I have completey changed direction on my loudspeaker plan. Rather than building Woden Silbury for my Alpair 10.2 drivers, I have decided to replace the 4 CSS EL70 drivers in my Planet 10 microTowers with the Pluvia 7HD drivers. They are a drop-in replacement and all I'll have to do is change the tuning on the terminus, which will be dead simple because I made my bottom panel removable. Simply cut out a square, cut a circle in it, install the new port, and put it in the bottom of the box.

A few reasons for this decision; 1) I really have enjoyed the speakers as they are for many years but they have always lacked that little bit of sparkle or "air" at the top end, as they roll off starting around 10k, 2) The drivers located up top ended up with badly sun-bleached paper, so I coated all the drivers and didn't do a very good job, 3) It'll be a fun, easy job to re-tune the enclosures vs. a full speaker build, 4) I can use the EL70 drivers in other projects or sell them on dirt cheap to someone who is just getting started and doesn't want to spend a bunch of money on their first stab at it. 5) I still have the Alpair 10.2 drivers - I can still build the Silburys some day.

I'll be keeping the bottom plates and ports from the existing setup in case I am not happy with this change, and want to revert back to the EL70s and use the Pluvias in another design.

Last edited:
Fikabröd (You know FIKA??) - sweet bread and cookies for my (ex-)work. Thought it was a nice gesture to bring some sweets for the afternoon brake.

Also (but I didn't pay) got three pieces of sheet metal to go with my modular synthesizer (will need more panels later).

FIKA is a Swedish word meaning coffee or coffee brake. It comes from the secret language of chimney sweepers.
You see FIKA is made up of two parts FI and KA. Reposition those parts and you get KAFI like in coffee.

Two Markaudio CHN-110-Silver 6.75" Full Range drivers. I need to add an amp and speakers to my computer in the den. I can't understand the built in speakers in the monitor.

The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual. I am contemplating getting my license back. I dropped it after my dad passed away in 2010, as I only used it to talk to him on my way home from work.

Attachments

• 0A3C7450-C2D3-439E-81A0-0EDEF94CBBD6.jpg
    0A3C7450-C2D3-439E-81A0-0EDEF94CBBD6.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 94
Preordered the new Khadas Tone2Pro DAC, should get here in January.
ESS ES9038Q2M, new balanced rca jacks, MCA, usbc for 5v linear ps.
I love my original Tone board, looking forward to the new one - it is self-contained rather than a raw board.
Me too. I bought the blue one. The first TB is an exceptional piece of kit for $99. Their new hybrid RCA/XLR jacks are a novel and interesting design. Can't wait to use them.

I bought a pair of Tang Band W5-2143s off someone called "openbaffle63" on ebay, with the profits I ended up not making from the sale of a bookshelf pair, that FedEx smashed on the way to the buyer. Shipped USPS, we'll see if they're actually usable on arrival, if they ever arrive at all; supposedly today. Right. Probably still in CT -

I should have checked the shipping carrier before clicking the buy it now button. I should have negotiated with openbaffle63 on the carrier, paid a few dollars extra to use FedEx. Careless me...again, I suffer for it.

Those transmissions are pretty well wearing. If you have xdrive, you might want to change the "lifetime" fluid in the transfer case. The oil costs almost 100$/L but one bottle will do two changes IIRC. It's a complete pain in the butt though LOL
It's RWD I like to keep things simple, so the AT is enough compromise for me.

Today (yesterday) I bought two replacement caps for the security gateway in rhe car.
I get a "restraint system error" due to bad power reserve. I suspect that it's caused by the capacitors. They are a pita to desolder due to conformal coating and glue, so I haven't measured them yet.

I bought a ticket to tonight's Trans Siberian Orchestra concert livestream. There is no tour this year due to Covid, so they rented a facility in Nashville for one show to be livestreamed. I have seen them live 4 or 5 times in Florida and Ohio. Stood outside the arena for over an hour in a snowstorm in Columbus three years ago. This show starts in my living room in about an hour. All the snow is piled up outside.

I ordered a box of 1000 2SJ449 P channel mosfets about a week ago for $35. The UPS man just delivered them. I was surprised to find 6 bags of 200 parts inside the sealed NEC box. The next step is to torture test a few to find their real SOA in linear operation. At an average cost of 3 cents each, I can afford to blow a few up in the name of science.

Attachments

• P3990271_x.jpg
    P3990271_x.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 89
  • P3990276_x.jpg
    P3990276_x.jpg
    694.2 KB · Views: 88