And what did we buy today?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'm in the camp that loves Gnome-shell. The overview hotspot with the mouse is MUCH better than alt-tab IMHO.

Now when I use Windows, I find myself getting mad that the overview mode doesn't exist lol

One of the best things about Linux is that there are so many desktop environments to choose from - and nearly all of them are customizable to some degree. I think this point is lost on people who first try Linux. Based on recommendations they install Linux Mint and get Cinnamon, or they install Ubuntu and get GNOME. Then they decide whether they like "Linux" or not based on that experience. The vast majority of them expect an experience as good or better than Windows. If it is too different, and they find it cumbersome to get things done, they decide Linux isn't for them. Unfortunate, because they might love KDE Plasma, XFCE, Enlightenment, MATE, .... and it is trivial to install and try any of them.

I've been using Manjaro for probably 5 years now, and Linux for 10-15. Really like Manjaro and the Arch ecosystem, it is well supported and documented for the majority of OS configuration. I used to use XFCE, but have switched to KDE and Latte dock, KDE has been real stable and Kwin of course provides wobbly windows that I just can't live without ;)

Anyway, back to the topic. Today I pulled the trigger on an Outlaw 976 processor. Should be here in a week or two, and is replacing an Emotiva UMC-200 to bring me into the modern 4k age. I plan to get the matching 5000x amp as well, with any luck there will be a xmas sale or a b-stock one I can pick up at slight discount.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The only thing about Manjaro so far that really had my eyebrows raised is the fact that a fresh install includes one single item in the "Office" sub-menu - "Microsoft Office Online" !!!

Why they wouldn't have LibreOffice installed by default is completely beyond comprehension. Easy enough to install it, of course - but this makes me seriously wonder what other nonsensical choices have been made.

That Outlaw unit looks like a damned fine piece of gear.

Last edited:
When I installed the GNOME version, it asks if I wanted an office suite, and if libreoffice or freeoffice was my choice...

I also have wobbly windows ALA Compiz using a gnome-shell extension and libanimation. It's identical since it uses the actual libanimation library.

Install this extension:
Compiz windows effect - GNOME Shell Extensions

And this package from the AUR
AUR (en) - libanimation-gnome-shell-git
Today, I will receive 2.6KG of pcbs from JLCPCB. That "add to order" button is too easy to use.

The only thing about Manjaro so far that really had my eyebrows raised is the fact that a fresh install includes one single item in the "Office" sub-menu - "Microsoft Office Online" !!!

Why they wouldn't have LibreOffice installed by default is completely beyond comprehension. Easy enough to install it, of course - but this makes me seriously wonder what other nonsensical choices have been made.

That Outlaw unit looks like a damned fine piece of gear.

No Office installed by default, they are rather large files and easy to install whatever components you need. I would prefer that the default install includes next to nothing and I install the components I want, rather than have to remove a bunch of junk that was installed by default that I don't want.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've been using xfce and ratpoison on my work ubuntu workstation for ages :) Just run xfce on my Mythtv box at home. I like my window manager light weight. I still use the windows 2000 UI on my windows7 laptop, not sure what I'm going to do when I finally have to switch to windows 10 :(

Tony.

I once installed M$ word from something like 15 3.5 inch floppies.

I had a set of those.....and OS-2 Warp came on about 15 to 20 5 1/4 floppies

On the flip side of that, I can remember walking across the building to the software group and getting a complete set of everything needed to load the flash, eprom, channel map, and even an IMEI to start up a virgin cell phone board....all on ONE of those 1.44 MB floppies.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
[comment][/comment]Pic of yesterday's purchase. Minus the high hat which the stand should arrive next week :)

Not properly set up yet but enough for her to already love it! :)

Tony.

Attachments

• 20201107_203626.jpg
    20201107_203626.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 117
My son still has an un-opened copy of Win 95 I gave him. I used to get them for free from work, as we threw them away and used Unix on our workstations (interface to VMEbus 68000 system) and they came with it. I still have a distribution copy of office that installs and runs under Win10, but it seems buggy so I switched to Open Office.

I still have a distribution copy of office that installs and runs under Win10

Office 2007 ran fine under W10, but will not open files written in Office 2010 or newer unless they were specifically saved in the older Office format which prompts a "loss of format or resolution" warning. Anything I use which is mostly simple text or graphs suffers no visible "loss."

This PC must communicate with the world, so I have a copy of SoftMaker Office Free, which opens both and translates between them.

I wish that there was a simple answer for Eagle PCB. My old version 5.11 works fine for my vacuum tube pc boards, but it will not read files, including libraries, written in version 6 or later. Autocad wants $600 per year for the pro version which is what is required for the large board sizes I use in my tube amps, some of which run 50+ square inches.

In recent years they have made the VS installer a bit better and they give the choice of what you install. Installing the lot is many GB of disc space used up.
The !"£$%^ keep removing bits that I need for older programs like XNA and C++ Win forms. I have to go digging through VS install to try to find them again.
Monogame do XNA now so at least its still around.
I recently converted my C# program to C# .net core 5.0 and its 500K+ lines of code.

I also use Microchip MPLAB X and that uses about 20GB !

I installed Win 10 on my new "best" computer, and immediately ran one of those debloater scripts a few times. Happy with it so far. Still run Win 7 on most of my other computers.

As for last few days of "toy" purchases: tread depth gauge, 3/16" heatshrink (always runs out), 16" hubcaps, 17" Mustang compact spare, hardened Torx sockets, Xbox 360 3rd party gamepad.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Office 2007 ran fine under W10, but will not open files written in Office 2010 or newer unless they were specifically saved in the older Office format which prompts a "loss of format or resolution" warning....

I still run MSOffice 2003 on Win7.

The "New-Office" file format, there is an add-in for 2003/7. It used to be on Microsoft site, filed as 2007, but may have faded-away by now. If that is what you need, I can find my copy and leave it behind my chicken shed for you to use.

The crap about "loss of file features" is 100% true for about 0.5% of documents. MSO is very old. ALL the features normal people use were baked-in by W2003, and only minimally forked-up since. Yes, there's special trouble with math notation, and thousands of quirks in Excel different every build, but if you that kind of doc-writer you should be on laTEX et al.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2526297/description-of-office-compatibility-pack-sp3
Microsoft Update Catalog

Last edited: