And what did we buy today?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I tried out the station. It works. But I'm a bit underwhelmed. I thought it had an air pump in the base but it is a fan in the in the handle (there is a tube around the internal wiring, I guess for insulation, but I think sneakily to make it look like an air hose). Should be ok for the small amount of use it will get but I would say overpriced for what it is (and I got it at $20 off).

I wanted a quick 957DW but couldn't find one locally.

The temp display is very dim and only shows the set temp not the actual temp. It'll do the job but pretty sure you could do better for the price.

It's a dutatech ts-1645. I couldn't find any reviews before I got it. If I'd read one like I'm currently writing I may have tried something cheaper.

Tony.

Attachments

• 2020-08-22 15.27.04.jpg
    2020-08-22 15.27.04.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 2020-08-22 15.26.23.jpg
    2020-08-22 15.26.23.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I got the replacement dac/adc from focusrite. I'd tried desoldering using soldering iron on the motherboard above and it damaged some pads, which is why I got the hot air rework station, figuring I'm going to be doing more smd work in the future.

So now I need to have a go at replacing the chip. Not sure if I will get a chance this weekend or not. Might need to wait till next weekend.

Tony.

A roll of bubble wrap and a box of screws to have another go at the car doors. I started to look more at getting a more optimum Q out of them, seems to be working with sealing and some free open cell packing foam for the vent.
Sounds great so far, and not done tuning yet, so $10 well spent.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I had looked at those, thanks for the feedback, sorry it didn’t work out.

I suspect this is in the middle ground of you get what you pay for. It's probably a safer (electrically safer) than the stuff you can get off ebay or aliexpress, but quality wise no where near as good as the more expensive stuff (I probably would need to spend double or tripple to get something I'd think was ok, which is beyond what I wanted to pay, so in the end it is probably the best option when safefty is considered). It'll do the trick for what I want to use it for (occaisional use). It seems to take an awfully long time to heat up even small components to the point I can remove them though which to me makes me wonder about whether it could damage components when resoldering.

Tony.

DAC0831 for, what may end up in two MIDI-to-CV/trig modules.

The accepted norm is that 12 bits or more is needed for CV that's used for pitch information. I forget the numbers, but 12 bits give a "barely perceptible" pitch error, with 14 bits being fractions of a cent in pitch error.

I have a MIDI-to-CV Eurorack module that uses a 12 bit DAC chip which will not accurately track whatever is inside the Behringer synths when fed the same MIDI data. I suspect that the 12 bit DACs gets you close to "good enough" but the other errors like the opamps and voltage reference add enough "minimal errors" to make it obvious when two different synths are trying to track each other.

Digging into what's used in several high end synths like Deckards Dream reveals 16 bit DACs for all pitch related CV sources, and 12 bit's for other CV's like amplitude, velocity, and modulation.

The synth world is split on how many bits are needed for pitch bend. The MIDI spec calls for 14 bits of pitch bend information, but my Keystep only sends 7 bits of pitch bend and velocity information, so 8 bit DACs are fine here.

@Tubelab: I am a lazy engineer, using whatever material I find that gives me useful info without having to work hard to come up with a good solution - why reinvent the wheel?!;) The design I am looking at uses DAC0831 (which are outdated and could be replaced by modern multichannel DACs).

I have two quantizers that use a small 8-pin PIC where the CVs are filtered pwm-signals from the chip.

Another application I am sort of interested in uses a 128-byte RAM to store a sequence and an 8-bit DAC to turn the bits and bytes into a control voltage.

Two claimed Panasonic cassette tape record heads from Ebay.
Will test them on my old refurbished / calibrated 40 year Pioneer CT-606 deck.
At this time it is working with an AMIR 666 head which I had around and didn't know after finding it after house cleaning, but I think it distorts sooner as the old head.
After 20 years in the digital world I begun to listen to cassettes & Vinyl records again ...
This stupid Covid infected my brain for sure.

37 gallons of gasoline. I topped off the tank in the truck and filled four gas cans in the shed.

The Hurricane coming up the gulf will certainly shut down petroleum processing in Louisiana and Texas. Gas may be in short supply soon so it s prudent to top off the tanks. Tomorrow I will fill the car and motorcycle. Gas has gone up $0.20/gallon since Monday.