623.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 20200728_140721.jpg
    20200728_140721.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 20200728_140854.jpg
    20200728_140854.jpg
    694.9 KB · Views: 206
SPENDOR Sub3 Subwoofer

I was thrilled today to find a SPENDOR Sub 3 Subwoofer at my local Thrift/Charity/Goodwill shop in McLean, Virginia!

I have been in the market for a Sub for years and have never pulled the trigger. I always have a set of Spendors for listening - currently I have the SP 7/1. The sub is a perfect match for the cherry veneer - age and sound.

Dare I say for the first time - I feel that I was the lucky bugger that found a gem at the thrift store!

They knew what they had - so it was still not Thrift Store cheap. I paid $200 for it - which I feel was a real bargain. Cheers to all! :)

Made a trip to the Pick n Pull today, Humidex said +33 so I declared it a non-project-work day.
Came up empty handed on stuff for the daily drivers, but scored big for the Vette. Checking out the Cadillacs, I managed to find one of the big 17" GM compact spares with a 5 bolt pattern. Cashier rang it up at $13.99, which is literally 1/10th of what I paid in total for one 10 or so years ago on ebay. Some buyer's remorse came along for the ride :D

Made a trip to the Pick n Pull today, Humidex said +33 so I declared it a non-project-work day.
Came up empty handed on stuff for the daily drivers, but scored big for the Vette. Checking out the Cadillacs, I managed to find one of the big 17" GM compact spares with a 5 bolt pattern. Cashier rang it up at $13.99, which is literally 1/10th of what I paid in total for one 10 or so years ago on ebay. Some buyer's remorse came along for the ride :D

Must be nice. My local yard doesn't put E90 BMWs in the UPIC yet... When I need parts, I get to order them from a guy in Latvia.

Must be nice. My local yard doesn't put E90 BMWs in the UPIC yet.

I think there are BMWs in the yards here, I got an emergency jack for an E90 I think last year, but jacks are at the counter.
One of the reasons I went today was that a Flex was finally listed in inventory, but it had been there a month and was picked clean. I would have been happy with a cargo net or emergency funnel but even small stuff was long gone. Vettes will never be in a pick n pull. At least 1 of our cars is often there in high numbers, the Fusion.

You'd be surprised - I've seen many C3 Corvettes in the UPIC... Not seen a C4 or newer yet but I've seen the odd newish Camero complete with either the front or back just ruined in a crash!

Still, my car is only 9 years old so not surprised it's not in the UPIC yet. Unlike the VW Fox, this car is worth more than 400$ after 10 years :D

My dad still drives a 99 Buick... They used to be a dime a dozen - many were taxis... Now it's getting hard to find one in the yard. It's only got 155000 km's on it but it's seen better days... His next car will be his last as he's 74 now

Last edited:
Two of these which gives a fully adjustable ±50V , 3 Ampere dual DC power supply. whose cost is less than $180 including shipping.

The first HP6271 I got from the auto components company Spartan was extremely cheap as the company was down-sizing, the other I got from Alltest also very inexpensively -- both in the wake of dot-com bubble burst. They take up some room, and do complain when you hit their limits. I have not yet "ganged" them together.

My best power supply purchase was from a Grumman employee who sold me an HP6129B for $1 -- but I had to drive to Long Island to pick it up.

Attachments

• IMG_5798.JPG
    IMG_5798.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 131
Bought the 2nd Hammond 1650W for the other channel of the 6550 tube amp build. From Digikey, along with about $600 worth of Molex connectors. Mostly the board-to-board stuff, which can add up quick when you want to build a dozen of something instead of just one, and want the assembly process to able to be completed in this lifetime.

And a new bottom bracket for my bike. The bearing on one side had gotten pretty trashed from pushing big gears in all this wind we’ve been having. Wanted to get some more cheap sweep tubes to play with but that will wait another month or two now.

I bought a Chinese sound level meter calibrator, these things are EXPENSIVE, even the cheap Chinese ones are over $100, considering that a Dayton Audio Measurement Mic with calibration file is around $50, the calibrator costs twice as much as the mic.

The higher quality calibrators such as BK Precision are around $250 or more. Its hard to believe that these things only produce a 94dB/110dB 1KHz tone, and that's all they do, obviously the cost is due to the difficulty of achieving such accuracy, but still...

Last edited: