And what did we buy today?

Indeed!

Is that a synth? Is it a kit, or your own design?
Oh man, I only wish I had that level of skill. It's a synth, called the TTSH, which stands for Two Thousand Six Hundred. It's a kit replica of the famous ARP 2600 semi-modular built back in the '70s. I've wanted something like this ever since I was a teenager! :santa2:
I had physically stop myself buying a MOS8580 Commodore based synth, and think about a kit....just so many to choose from....and I dont want to go modular.
That brings back memories... My C64 had a defective 8580, so it sounded even weirder than normal, heh.

Jim, my perf boards were from Eprey...my local "shop famous for carrying only one LM317 in stock", closed down, and well...there wasnt anything good to grab. So I'm jealous!
I'll admit it, I do miss Radio Shack. Dunno how deep the local hardware store is gonna take the plunge on this stuff, but I like what I'm seeing so far!

What's your opinion of the Soundlab? I've seen this and several others on the MFOS site, but I cant decide!
From what I hear, Ray Wilson was a great guy with loads of fantastic ideas and "umnie ruki" (wise hands, as they say in Russian).
I haven't due to REASONS, finished the Soundlab (original) and Mk2, but have built the Noise Toaster and have, also in the pipeline the 32-step sequenzer as well as the EchoRockit.

However I hear people in the synthetic world use his modules and seems to be happy.

Not much lately. A couple of new block heater cords last Thurs to get through the cold snap we're going through.

Went to motorcycle show yesterday, made sure to check out the two new woods bikes released in 2020, the KLX300R and the YZ125X. An ironic thing was the government land ministry had a booth last year, although that left wing gov't was accused of being hostile to off highway vehicles, but there was no booth this year, probably because of the current right wing gov't budget cuts. :D

What's your opinion of the Soundlab? I've seen this and several others on the MFOS site

I built a couple of the smaller MFOS synths many years ago. I don't even remember which ones.

In 2015 I ordered a Soundlab Ultimate and Ultimate Expander board and panel package. I received the boards rather quickly and the panels were "coming soon."

Unfortunately Ray Wilson, the man behind MFOS passed away in 2016 from cancer. I never got the panels, but the boards were operational with the pots and switches hanging from wires. I had them mounted on a piece of cardboard for a while, but they wound up in a box when I moved and I wound up using software synths for a couple years.

I think that they are good designs, and on par with much of the good analog designs from the late 70's. This means that there will be some drift in the VCO) tuning and regulated power supplies are a good idea. I used some high spec TI regulator chips instead of the usual 78XX and 79XX chips specified and there was a barely perceptible pitch change when the line voltage took a 5 volt drop as the house furnace kicked on. You will still need to retune if there is a large temperature change. I still prefer the sound of a Moog style ladder filter, but that is easy enough to build and wire in.....both the Moog filter and the opamp filter in the MFOS synth can be used together for some truly weird effects.

My idea of music synthesis has changed a lot since I built those boards, but I am now back to making analog stuff again, but mostly Eurorack size. Some of my Eurorack "modules" are Behringer clones of classic 70's and 80's synths. They pack a whole synth into a wide Eurorack size module for a price not much higher than some popular Eurorack modules.

Unfortunately the MFOS boards have been robbed for several parts including many of the pots and jacks. They could be repopulated easy enough if I get around to it.

Today the MFOS web site still exists, and there is still an ordering page. I believe that all of the MFOS stuff was sold to Synthcube (same people that make the TTSH kit) who now sell MFOS products. I don't know if the old MFOS ordering page still works. I would investigate before ordering.

Synthcube now has the panel for the Ultimate Expander, but not the Ultimate itself. If they ever get both panels, I may finish my stand alone MFOS synth with both boards on one box. The power supply I built for it fed my Eurorack for a while, but it is now not big enough, so it is available for use.

There is one and it definitely needs more "talk." It is averaging about 8 posts per year. It came from an older thread about synths and vacuum tubes, but I can't find it anymore.

Modular Synth build

Thanks Mr Tubelab!

Btw, I missed, or didn't I mention the two transformers for Russian VFDs and chips to make clocks and endbells (ONE PAIR :rolleyes:) for a choke (that I have mislaid) ...

And a telephone - pre-owned Samsunge Galaxy Note 4.

Last edited:
We should almost have a thread for synth-talks ...

Definitely. I know there is a modular one, Tubelab mentions, I'm just not sure I understand synthesis well enough to go modular! I'm toying with just cheating and buying a JU-06 rack module, to save always having to rely on VSTi synths.
Some inspiring stuff on "Look Mum No Computer" on YouTube.

Definitely. I know there is a modular one, Tubelab mentions,

With only 40 posts in over 5 years, any synth talk will be welcome there, I'm sure. All the posts from the last three years have been related to my non-modular vacuum tube synth experiments.

I don't think that there are many synth people here, and I have been reluctant to join one of the forums that's just dedicated to synth stuff since I spend too much time online as it is.

I'm toying with just cheating and buying a JU-06 rack module

My "modular" consists of three Behringer synths and some DIY stuff. Real modular synth aficionados and vintage analog synth enthusiasts would surely frown, at best.