And what did we buy today?

It wasn't my thread from the beginning, so I shouldn't ask to change it. The posts from the original thread could be merged, but I can't find it. If anyone wants to start a new thread, my synth experiments could go there, but I see no need since the current thread or its ancestor didn't get much action.

I do plan to do a bit more synth stuff in the near future. If I don't do something new Tubelab Inc will cease to exist. It has only paid it's bills in the past two years due to a contract engineering gig.

There are two new Tubelab amp designs in the prototype stage right now, but only enough funds for one to be taken forward. The performance of the OPT's that I mentioned this morning may determine which one that is.

A pair of HiVi RT1C-A, $34 CDN per @ Solen. To mate with Jordan JX92s drivers from a diya group buy long ago.

Attachments

• rt1ca-210x210.jpg
    rt1ca-210x210.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 181
Well, actually, not today, but quite recently. From an estate, an Adcom GFP-750 in outstanding condition but in need of small repair to the remote control. Picked it up for about $200, leaving plenty of budget for replacing any electrolytic caps that may need it. Got this along with other gear worth many thousands for about 25% of used prices.

I purchased a tiny rechargeable Bluetooth transmitter/receiver from ebay for $4 Can. incl. shipping. I was not expecting too much but it really works well, so much so I ordered another.
I had been looking for Bluetooth headphones but they all seem to have enhanced bass which I did not fancy, so now I can use my regular cans.

A battery tray for a 2006-09 Fusion + matching hold down bracket, and a battery tray for a 2010-12 Fusion, all from Pick n Pull. Had to go through every single early battery tray in the lot (no exaggeration) until I managed to pull one with every last flimsy plastic tab still intact. I'm a little OCD that way. With sale and mistaken entry by cashier, I only paid $11.43.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ubergeeknz,
Next purchase for the bench will be an electric desoldering gun, that is going to really save a lot of hassle on repairs
Once upon a time I bought a nice expensive one. Used it a few times and put it in a box. I might still have it, I'm not sure. I haven't used it in over 25 years. Turns out that they are great while working on the jobs. End of day clean-out is a real PITA and not ultimately worth while. Now I use a large solder sucker and some wick to clean up. Never needed anything more Whenever I feel I miss the desoldering iron, I just think back of cleaning it. That fixes that urge. Did I mention dropping the glass cylinder? Easy to drop, not easy to clean up after. Keep spares.

-Chris

My first lathe - a really tiny one but with enough guts to do small parts from steel and fit on a shelf somewhere when not in use. Not too hard to up the quality of this sort of lathe when required and plenty of how to's online. You can get a rest for wood turning too.

C0 with acc pack pic.jpg

I did a years basic engineering when I was about 17 and then went to work as a fabricator welder after a year and hardly touched a lathe after that. 52 this year cripes! Just need to add a taper slide to be able to make equipment spikes and there's a milling attachment that would make it easier to cut slots in Audio gear cases.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ubergeeknz,
What sucker do you recommend?
The best one is the Edsyn DS-31 (? I can't remember) and there is another. Price seems to be a good indicator. The Edsyn runs around $32 CDN, the other decent one was about $25 CDN. They last a long time. The cheaper ones break, usually the spring and I had one go the second time I pumped it. All the cheap ones I have ever bought broke so quickly they aren't worth buying. I keep one spare as even the best one will break after some amount of time. Normally years. Never had a cheap one last more than a few months.

I have a new one here somewhere. Tips. You can buy replacement tips. I bought a ceramic one ... and dropped it. It was great until that happened. The cheap sucker tips fit the original unit.

-Chris