And what did we buy today?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A new battery for my car. :( Florida kills car batteries. It's been just fine for 3 years, never a slow start. Then this morning - Rrrrrrr, rrrr, nothing. Nice kid at the auto parts store helped me out when it died a block away from the store. Tipped him $20. Happy New Year!

Apparently I bought house insurance !
I usually buy it once a year from a different company.
Last years supplier decided to continue the cover into this years without my permission so there will be hell to pay on the telephone later today.
In the UK things like insurance are carried on unless you specifically cancel it.
Not very friendly if you didn't want that. Another scam.
Then when you bounce the new payment you get threatening emails with a £35 fine plus a month payment fee !

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nigel,
It's the same in Canada. Happily, we renew with the same carrier because when a claim is necessary, they really work to make it easy on us. They seem to be as good as Lloyd's of London was back when I had insurance with them.

Today we buy our insurance through the Royal Bank. Insurance that doesn't cover you fully is worth about zero.

-Chris

Not today but Monday I found that I'd left my Senn noise canceling cans behind where I was staying... once I was at the airport. Bought the schmancy Sony WH-1000xm3 noise cancelling cans at the best buy airport kiosk. They're spectacular- I was mad at first that I left mine behind, but the Sonys are literally better in every way. Much more open sounding, more comfortable, better noise correction. I have a tough time traveling without noise cancelers since I started, the elimination of engine noise makes the plane time so much less exhausting.

If you ever get stuck buying from a best buy kiosk like I did- they have a 15 day price match guarantee- even against their physical locations. You can walk into any best buy and get a refund for the markup (pushing $100 for schmancy cans).

Good purchase ultimately but unplanned and not terribly cheap.

Agreed on the engine noise fatigue - and thanks for the tip. My 6-year-old pair of Bose (ugh) NC earbuds have soldiered on admirably, but I suspect the time is probably near.

Purchased today: a vintage cafe mug made by Sterling china in East Liverpool, Ohio (nearly identical to the one pictured below). $4.27 tax included. The newer stuff doesn't come close.

Attachments

• Sterling_mug.jpg
    Sterling_mug.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 135
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Today I got a gen-u-ine piece of Western Electric audio gear. Yep, a linesman's test set. But you know the common name for it. :)
Super solid, excellent condition. Nice bed of nails clips.

Actually it's a bit of a cheat, I didn't buy it, my wife gave it to me as a present.

Attachments

• butt set 1.jpg
    butt set 1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 143
  • butt set 3.jpg
    butt set 3.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 146