And what did we buy today?

How about an ASR-33

The ASR-33 uses the same 8 bit tape that our old CNC machines used. They used to be common, but are also getting scarce today. I had gathered the bits to make the tape reader sequencer long ago, but wound up making a digital sequencer using some CMOS chips instead. These days I use the DAW, the sequencer built into the Keystep, or both.

Check their previous band: DetektivByran

Thanks, I had not heard of them before.

they're all very talented.

There is a Wintergatan live show on Youtube where two players swap positions live in the middle of a song, and one of them is playing the THEREMIN. Try to get that right, that's some skill and practice.

Heck yeah! My mom worked during the day, so as a kid whenever I got sick, I had the good fortune to spend the day at the home of our nice neighbor lady, who just happened to own a fairly decent microscope. Fond memories of hanging out in my PJs, coughing, sneezing, and occasionally peering at GIANT INSECT EYEBALLS !!

Haha some great memories then?

My son is avidly into anything scientific, or involving reading. I have several if those electronics kits from China, where you can make a radio, doorbell etc. I can no longer use my 35mm camera without a second photographer 'helping' 😀

I used to be the same, interested in the inner world of things, and also the larger outer world - So as I recall I was quite happy receiving a pair of binoculars at a similar age, and I'm sure I'd have loved a microscope too!

And I may have some crickets (livefood for my pet) that die prematurely and become subjects!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Today I bought a pile of 'scope probes and other various items from the Canadian Government (sealed bid). There is also a ton of wire wrap tools and wire, and 4 wire wrapping guns. 3 boxes worth of assorted stuff. Hopefully they can be condensed down to 1 box.

The item location is in Vancouver and I'm near Toronto, Ontario. That stuff is a world away! Here's hoping its worth the shipping.

-Chris

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It sounds great Chris, but will be much better when we have a decent amp to go with it :) It's quite a bit more meaty than the fender squire strat.

I really like the sound of it through my main hifi amp and speakers (preamped by the scarlet 2i2 with the gain cranked to get a bit of distortion). But it is not crunchy enough for my daughter who hasn't yet learned the subtleties of guitar distortion, and cranks the gain on her fender champ 15 way past where it should be (some would argue it shouldn't be put in overdrive at all) ;)

I'm considering a Thunderbird pedal as a first step to getting better sound, noise levels (as in not so great S/N) being the main concern with that route.

Tony.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Those little Fender Champ amplifiers are great sounding little amps. Almost every guitar player I know has had one at some point, and many still do. They definitely have their own sound.

The pedal is the way to go. That way she can get whatever sound she wants at lower levels. You should DIY some just for the heck of it once she gets going. Adding a reverb would be pretty cool too. The tanks aren't that expensive, and all you would need is a driver and signal amp, plus an effects loop.

-Chris

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Chris its a Fender, and yes solid state, 15W , 8" speaker. I think the little amp where she has her lessons is a champ :)

It's decent clean, but for my liking it is harsh when put into drive mode.

Tony.

Attachments

• 2019-05-12 14.02.09.jpg
    2019-05-12 14.02.09.jpg
    824.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited: