Analog Discovery by Digilent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Frex and Ulli
my config is as follows:

The Waveform 2015 is 3.5.4 (64-Bit)
Windows 7 Ultimate N SP 1 (64 bit)

The impedance analyser is latest version downloaded from the site.

Seems like is trying to download some part of the app and can't be found? :headbash:
The following log is provided when the application fails to launch:
PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.42000
System.Deployment.dll : 4.6.1099.0 built by: NETFXREL4STAGE
clr.dll : 4.6.1099.0 built by: NETFXREL4STAGE
dfdll.dll : 4.6.1099.0 built by: NETFXREL4STAGE
dfshim.dll : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES
Deployment url : file:///C:/Users/Ale/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start%20Menu/Programs/TheStuffMade.com/Impedance%20Analyzer.appref-ms%7C

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Download exception occurred while performing an update check for application ImpedanceAnalyzer.application, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0000000000000000, processorArchitecture=msil. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Downloading http://www.thestuffmade.com/install/impedanceanalyzer/ImpedanceAnalyzer.application did not succeed.
+ The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
* Activation of C:\Users\Ale\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\TheStuffMade.com\Impedance Analyzer.appref-ms| resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Activation failed.
+ The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [01/03/2017 11:49:03] : Activation of C:\Users\Ale\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\TheStuffMade.com\Impedance Analyzer.appref-ms| has started.
* [01/03/2017 11:49:03] : Performing necessary update check as specified by the deployment.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [01/03/2017 11:49:04] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
- Downloading http://www.thestuffmade.com/install/impedanceanalyzer/ImpedanceAnalyzer.application did not succeed.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirect(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifest(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentUpdate(SubscriptionState& subState, String& errorPageUrl)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Net.WebException
- The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
- Source: System
- Stack trace:
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
* [01/03/2017 11:49:04] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (Activation)
- Activation failed.
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, String& errorPageUrl, TempFile& deployFile)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.IO.FileNotFoundException
- The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The root cause seems to be:

+ Downloading http://www.thestuffmade.com/install/...er.application did not succeed.

... which resulted in a 404 page not found. From there on, everything failed of course.

And indeed, when you click that URL, you get:

HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found
The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

So there's an issue with the download at the site.

Jan

WaveForms Impedance Measurement - AD1 & AD2

WaveForms3 Network Analyzer allows for Custom traces which can make use of some scripting - see Examples:
attachment.php

• still looking for some explanation of the constants used ect.

[wiki=https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/369-analog-discovery-networkanalyzer-db-v/]%[/wiki]
There is a test instrument, not fully working, of Impedance Analyzer. Having WaveForms main window in front type "nolimits", the window title will change and under More instruments you will have Impedance Analyzer.

Follow the connection schematic shown in the instrument: AWG 1 connected to Scope channel 1; Scope channel 2 connected to ground with a reference resistor and its value specified in the interface; insert the L/C component to measure between the scope channels. This test setup can be made on a breadboard.

In the dropdown after the L/R/C symbol you can choose between series/parallel approximation, L/C.​
This is valid for WaveForms2.
"nolimits" is reached by pressing ALT+F11
attachment.php

• allows to store some measurements and to pick one for comparision with the actual one

enjoy
Ulli

Attachments

• Analog Discovery WaveForm3 - Network - Custom 256.jpg
    Analog Discovery WaveForm3 - Network - Custom 256.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 90
  • Analog Discovery WaveForms2 - nolimits [ALT+F11] -  Impedance Analyzer 256.jpg
    Analog Discovery WaveForms2 - nolimits [ALT+F11] - Impedance Analyzer 256.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 596

From version 3.7.13 on the Waveforms software can also work with the computer's soundcard as input for scope and output for wavegen, the Analog Discovery device is not even needed in this case.

Download from here:

WaveForms beta download - Scopes & Instruments - Digilent Forum

That a very good news !

I own the Aanalog Discovery first version bought some years ago, and i must say that the great value of this tool come mainly from the very good job done on Waveforms software. This tool make me love USB tools as never before !

I tried today the new version that allow to use Waveforms software with sound-card instead of AnalogDiscovery and i must say that it perform very well. There is many features for THD analysis and more... It's a very good idea to have done this !

Frex

(for those that are interested to test it, it is here ; URL="https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/waveforms/waveforms-3/start"]WaveForms[/URL] )

From version 3.7.13 on the Waveforms software can also work with the computer's soundcard as input for scope and output for wavegen, the Analog Discovery device is not even needed in this case.

Download from here:

WaveForms beta download - Scopes & Instruments - Digilent Forum

Thanks for the tip :D Can someone point me to a basic primer on using this software with a sound card? I downloaded it and scrolled to the devices section of the help file and there are no hints there
Thanks again,
Marty

Yes, I also think the Waveforms software is a bit of an undiscovered gem... The software's developer, Attila, is also very present and helpful on the Digilent forum.

I've had two A-D boxes since day one (we got the $99 price), thanks for this I don't upgrade too often. Attilla is great, IIRC I sent him some initial comments about making the dBu and dBV references conform to standard practice and he fixed them right away. I told him a few months ago that I missed the .wav record feature it I hope this replaces it.

... some details of how you measure loop gain... As you know, there are a few methods...

... I did buy a wideband isolation xformer from Omicron).

Hi Jan, Ian

I was reminded of this discussion by the recent update about availability of the new ADALM200. Jan, did you ever use the wideband xformer to measure loop gain the Bode 100 way? The Rosenstark method looks better because it corrects for non ideal behavior in the loop. Link >Here<* It requires two runs, similar to a Tian probe in LTspice simulation, so it's not too much extra complication. I haven't seen Rosenstark used so I am tempted to buy an ADALM just to try the method. One of Waly's posts looked like an attempt, but he refused to answer questions, perhaps he had problems. Anyone have any experience with it?

Best wishes David

* IIRC there was an open access copy...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.