Amp Camp Pre+Headphone Amp - ACP+

Added Digikey

I've often found Digikey quicker than Mouser to deliver to the UK, so I've added another column with their order codes where available.

I also added a couple of alternative options for the capacitors based on lead spacing and diameter. The 10uF could be replaced by a Silmic II and the 1000uF 'Gold' could be a Nichicon UKA instead of a UKT. Nichicon's own datasheet shows this as an upgrade. Both should easily fit in to their respective locations.

Hope this is of use.

Attachments

• ACP Plus Diyaudio BOM plus Digikey.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 177
@ SuppersReady
For the first time received last days components from DigiKey > 50 € shipping is free,
but bad surprise, I need pay 33 € = importation taxes and custom duties so 57+33= 90 € :rolleyes:
Mouser total price is only with +taxes and without custom duties.
Conclusion for Diyers in Europe buying components from Digi-Key is pricey.
Think I do Conrad and Bürklin distributors next time and save money :D

Soundhappy,

It must be a geographical issue. On my recent order I paid £38 + £7 vat using DDP (Duty and customs prepaid by Digi-Key). No surprise extras. Whether that will be the same next year...

6L6,

Would you like a column added for RS Components too? As Soundhappy has highlighted, we may have different preferences depending on our country.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
@ SuppersReady
For the first time received last days components from DigiKey > 50 € shipping is free,
but bad surprise, I need pay 33 € = importation taxes and custom duties so 57+33= 90 € :rolleyes:
Mouser total price is only with +taxes and without custom duties.
Conclusion for Diyers in Europe buying components from Digi-Key is pricey.
Think I do Conrad and Bürklin distributors next time and save money :D

I personally can‘t recommend conrad, their customer-service is lamentable (or so it was to me :(

6L6,

I started looking through the RS site. Some of their pack sizes are probably prohibitive for the average hobbyist. For example, their smallest pack size for the J113 was 25. I ran into problems with the resistors in that they would end up coming from several different brands and have varying compositions - metal film and wirewound. Pack size was a problem here as well.

They also don't appear to carry the Nichicon 'Fine' range of capacitors, so I stopped at that point. I've attached two files; one has the RS column I have completed so far, the second is the file I posted yesterday with a couple of corrected errors.

Attachments

• ACP Plus Diyaudio BOM plus Digikey-2.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 89
  • ACP Plus Diyaudio BOM plus Digikey-RS.zip
    13.1 KB · Views: 94
I've often found Digikey quicker than Mouser to deliver to the UK, so I've added another column with their order codes where available.

I also added a couple of alternative options for the capacitors based on lead spacing and diameter. The 10uF could be replaced by a Silmic II and the 1000uF 'Gold' could be a Nichicon UKA instead of a UKT. Nichicon's own datasheet shows this as an upgrade. Both should easily fit in to their respective locations.

Hope this is of use.

Thanks for that. I focused on Mouser as I've been primarily using them for a while, but thank you for putting in the Digikey versions so folks have an option.

Hope this is of use.

6L6,

I started looking through the RS site. Some of their pack sizes are probably prohibitive for the average hobbyist. For example, their smallest pack size for the J113 was 25. I ran into problems with the resistors in that they would end up coming from several different brands and have varying compositions - metal film and wirewound. Pack size was a problem here as well.

They also don't appear to carry the Nichicon 'Fine' range of capacitors, so I stopped at that point. I've attached two files; one has the RS column I have completed so far, the second is the file I posted yesterday with a couple of corrected errors.

Finding some of the resistors to match Nelson's original article were a bit of a challenge, both for pack size, and finding ones that were at least .4w. We went with the Panasonic 3Ws on the input filtering side knowing those were discontinued, but that mouser/digikey should have them available for years despite the EOL announcement.

Soundhappy,

It must be a geographical issue. On my recent order I paid £38 + £7 vat using DDP (Duty and customs prepaid by Digi-Key). No surprise extras...

Well i buy at Digi-Key.fr french version of the web page.
I have not possibilitys to buy with prepaid duty and customs option.
Free shipping was included beacause components cost 57€.
On the page only message was : be prepared to pay more for taxes and importation fees.
At Mouser i always can see total price with taxes included ( prepaid ) so not bad surprise.
I think is not Digi-Key or geographical French issue is a UPS company who abuse IMO.
We in French need pay importation custom fees if goods values is >150€.

I personally can‘t recommend conrad, their customer-service is lamentable (or so it was to me :(

Ok Thanks ! Best regards

Let's back to the original topic

Attachments

• 1FB50A41-77BD-41D2-9F2A-1ABD49FF70EC.JPG
    1FB50A41-77BD-41D2-9F2A-1ABD49FF70EC.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 545
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Probelm with ACP+ build:

I'm building my second ACP+ to use as a preamp (first was headphone amp).

The right channel works fine but the left channel has not output. Here are some voltages:

Q5 - Gate = 23 L - 16 R (working channel)
Q5 - Drain = 23 L - 23 R
Q5 - Source = 19 L - 12 R

Q6 - Gate = 4.0 L - 4.6 R
Q6 - Drain = 19 L - 10.6 R
Q6 - Source = 2.5mV L - 2.5mV R

Attached is a photo. I've looked carefully but can't see any component installed incorrectly and I don't see any bad solder joints, but I could be missing the forest for the trees...

Any suggestions of what to check would be appreciated. I'm sure it's stupid error.

Attachments

• PB250002.JPG
    PB250002.JPG
    480.5 KB · Views: 571
Joined 2014
Paid Member
It does make sense that I would have made a wiring error. I'll go back through it. Here's a few photos

Attachments

• PB250008.JPG
    PB250008.JPG
    422.9 KB · Views: 144
  • PB250007.JPG
    PB250007.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 447
  • PB250005.JPG
    PB250005.JPG
    418 KB · Views: 456
  • PB250004.JPG
    PB250004.JPG
    453.6 KB · Views: 540
  • PB250003.JPG
    PB250003.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 540
  • PB250010.JPG
    PB250010.JPG
    440 KB · Views: 132
Is this worth buying?

My board has arrived and I'm in the process of getting the parts together. I've used stepped attenuators on my last two preamps and greatly prefer their clarity compared to standard pots. I fancied trying something different this time and using a relay based attenutor. These get very expensive, very quickly and some of the solutions available online require a level of knowledge I don't possess.

This item caught my eye:
Hifi Remote Relay Resistance Volume Control Board Encoder Passive Preamp Board | eBay

Has anyone here used them or know of better options?

Realistically, I don't want to look at anything over £100. My preference would be to keep the price around £50, but I'm open to suggestions.