Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Hi
I build the ACA with 2 channels in the same enclosure.
With one 24V/5A SMPS.
The 4 transistors are isolated from the heatsinks.
RCA and speaker connections are isolated in the chassis end.
Signal and ground only connected to The PCB´s.
Ground from PCB´s only from the 4 mounting screws,METAL spacers..!
No hum,hiss or ..just silence.

Jan

Hi
With one 24V/5A SMPS.

Jan
Hi, i have the same psu on the way. Do you have to adjust something on amp in order to use 24v instead of 19v? Thanks

Hi
No adjustments,but at 24V you will need some big-fat heatsinks:0,8-1W/C
Im using this chinese enclosure:RE3213H (try to google)
At 24V The heatsinks on this enclosuse is getting to hot for my taste,ca 65 C.
Works nice on 19V,ca.50 C.
Using CPU heatsink and fan?
Not a choice for me,why make an amplifiers S/N ratio >100dB and then introduce a noisy fan?

Jan

Hi
With one 24V/5A SMPS.

Jan

Are the heatsink(s) connected or are you using metal spacers on two heatsinks that are isolated from each other?

Hi
Rewind
The heatsinks makes up the sides of the enclosure,thereby connected to ground.
One big heatsink per channel.(The 4 transistors are isolated from the heatsinks.)
One PCB per side is mounted on the inside with metal spacers for ground connection.
Are you planning on mounting the transitors directly on some CPU heatsinks?

Jan

Then I could have done something else with my saturday than slowly sawing the heatsink in two with a blunt hobby saw. It is looking good though. A mix with oak and chrome ( and two mangled pieces of aluminum well hidden away.

A cheap way to get front or side plates is to buy water cooling cover plates to nvidia graphic cards. Lots of chrome and details.

I use a big heatsink 1.2kg that is now 2x600gr. I may need fans.

Two camp amp boards can indeed be mounted with metal standoffs and be grounded to the same heatsink(s) and enclosure. Just keep the RCA inputs isolated from the enclosure and solder them to their respective pcb board.

Great little amp.

1200gr is good for one mono amp, maybe. At 600gr I need fans or temps reach #¤/&%#/"!

Last edited:
ACA Heat Issue ?

Hello! Newbie here and first post. I've got my diyAudio kit ACAs running and one of the amps will stop sending it's output to the speaker after about an hour of operation. No noise or anything, the sound just stops. After allowing the amp to cool for 30 minutes or so it will play for around 5 minutes and then quit again. The amp doesn't feel overly hot at all as I can easily hold my hand on the heatsink without fear of burning myself. The other amp has no issues at all and if anything seems to run a bit hotter (maybe, very close in any case). I don't have a good way to measure the temps, sorry.

Both amps sound fabulous when operating. I've double checked the bias of both amps and they are both set the same at 10v. I'm wondering if there might be a faulty component or bad solder point in the problem amp but have no idea how to go about discovering if that is the cause or something else. Thank you very much for any help!

Zen Mod,
I built these from the kit so each has it's own PSU. I've changed the PSUs back and forth between both amps and reversed the speakers as well as the the source inputs. Made no difference. The problem would definitely seem to reside within the amp itself.

6L6,

I'll open up the amp and try to get a decent picture.

Thanks!