Amp Camp Amp - ACA

The "positive" connections on the case are ground and the "negative" are live as Papa wanted it to be non-inverting. So using it with headphones for example might require a moment of thought.

Are you talking about the positive connections of the RCA connection, or the positive power supply cables?

Back to the question, can two ACA share one heatsink, as long as the RCA connections are isolated from each other? The heatsink is aluminum and would conduct electricity through the mounting holes on the PCBs. The mounting holes is connected to ground in the individual PCBs.

Last edited:
RCA isolated from case , so audio gnd is on channel pcb

use exactly same eyelet on pcb which you are going to insulate from case

This is the first time you mentioned eyelets on the pcb. There are a few eyelets on the pcb. Do you mean an eyelet that is connected to the RCA connections?

Since the poles on the speaker connections are reversed, maybe they also need isolation from the heatsink.

I may just as well saw the big heatsink in two.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think the question is about this screw -

ACA36.jpg

In the original build, the PCB is attached to gnd through a trace on the PCB, thence to the chassis. Being a monoblock with a isolated supply, this makes no ground-loop issues.

Making it stereo in the same chassis will probably hum.

I would begin by mounting the PCB with nylon hardware. Then, how exactily to ground it? I don't know yet, let's see if wiser heads have any ideas...

I have ordered nylon standoffs, but I want to listen to it this weekend. :) Maybe the 1.2kg aluminum heatsink is too small for both boards though.

This is what I have to work with:

I have two 19.5V (4.5A) laptop adapters. I also posted some examples of the standoffs, and connections. None are isolating in any way.

My alternative is to saw the heatsink in two (an ugly job with a hobby saw), and then isolate the speaker connections and the rca connections and the heatsink from each other using some tasteful oak. That would look more like what the rest of you has created. But will 600 gram aluminum be enough for each amp? That is the weight of a cpu heatsink and CPUs give off between 20-70 watts.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 629
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 632
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 619
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:
I have two 19.5V (4.5A) laptop adapters. ...........

But will 600 gram aluminum be enough for each amp? That is the weight of a cpu heatsink and CPUs give off between 20-70 watts.

........and connections. None are isolating in any way

So it sounds like you are building monoblocks (2 PS bricks) that simply share a single chassis, not stereo - is that correct?

The saw may be necessary only because your photos suggest the HS fins will be horizontal - vertical is more efficient and the two amps shouldn't be stacked. CPU heatsinks worked fine (very warm but not hot) on this build and yours appear about equal in metal content.

Don't understand why you say your RCAs and speaker posts are non-isolating.

Attachments

• DSC00853.jpg
    DSC00853.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Yes. We are discussing about whether or not the ground of the two amps can mix by being connected to the same heatsink. The mounting holes on the PCB is part of the ground. Many think there will be hum if the grounds are not separate. But nobody seem to know really. Anyone dare to connect their two heatsinks together with crocodile clamps and listen what happens? ;)

I do hope the heatsink will be enough. Looks like it from your pic. In the worst case I can add a fan.

Last edited: