Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Not sure I understand the questions, but here goes with a couple of answers...
comparison parallel mono and bridge, is it technically different?
Yes Parallel and Bridge mode are very different.

as our speaker have L and R , in bridge mode, there is still L and R
No in Bridge mode you get a mono amplifier. You need two Bridged amplifiers for stereo. (So 4 x ACA boards)

however in paralled its only have MONO which mean no difference from L AND R? no stereo ? affecting the imaging of the sound? is it true?
Yes in Parallel mode you get a mono amplifier. Again you need 2 Parallel amplifiers for stereo. (So 4 x ACA boards)

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
According to one of my experienced diyer of friend saying to be true parallels mono is 4 pcs of aca (2 for mono L) (2 for mono R)

How is this to be explained

That makes little to no sense. :confused::confused::confused:

And at the point of having 4 ACA, it would be much more logical (and a better amplifier all around) to build any of the FirstWatt amplifiers - Aleph J, F5, F6, BA-3, M2x, etc...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, sound is different. I prefer bridged.

The ACA has an ouput impedance that can directly affect whether bridged or parallel is the best for you.

In bridged mode, you double the output impedance putting it into an area where the amp will start losing control of the woofer sin some speakers. Bridged also has each channel operating inopposite phase so at least some of the 2nd order products cancel. Bridged is going to suffer into lowe rimpedance loads.

In parallel mode, you halve the output impedance making it more sutabe for speakers that expect a low output impedance from the amp. Better into low impedance loads. The boards are in phase so the amp retains its SE character, but may suffer from some low level “blurring” of details which inevetibly happens unless the 2 board shave exactly the sam etransfer curve.

For instance, my big ML-TLs do not work well with bridged ACA, sterao (and i expect parallel) work better. With my Mar-Ken10pTT the bridged ACA sounds fantastic.

dave

There is a lot of confusion here.

Bridge mode does not change stereo into mono.
If you have a stereo source (2 channels left and right) it will only amplify one of them, which ever you choose. It does not sound correct, because half of the stereo source signal is missing. You need another bridged amplifier to return both channels and have stereo.

Parallel mode also does not change stereo into mono if you use it as designed. In parallel mode both the input sockets are connected together. (As are the output sockets) You only use one socket for the signal input (either left or right) not both. So as above you only amplify half of the stereo signal. You need 2 parallel mode amplifiers for a stereo output...

If you have a mono source you only need one amplifier and it will sound just fine except there is no spacial information.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I think the OP meant that with one ACA In bridge or parallel mode, there‘s only one channel coming out.
Not „mono“ as in „left & right channels into 1 speaker“, but rather „1 plug in, one plug out“.
The root of this confusion could be the fact that 1 ACA has 2 amplifiers (left and right) although „ACA“ is considered an amp... [emoji848]