Alternate First Watt Power Supply Schematic

I have something like this. Measured on one power rail under load. IMG_20201125_234906.jpg

I was able to measure the noise at the output of the power supply board. I hope this is a well-done measurement. As you can see in the photos, all rails have similar Vpp ~ 170mV. Now my question. Is this 100hz noise level good, bad or acceptable?
View attachment 896995 View attachment 896996

Attachments

• minus%20szyny%20x10.jpg
    minus%20szyny%20x10.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_20201126_182903.jpg
    IMG_20201126_182903.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 317
SPICE predicts 174mV from an "ideal" implementation, so I'd say that's pretty dang good.

*If* you had an amp with poorer PSRR (power supply ripple rejection) you'd want to add more capacitance, more resistance, or active filtration -- but Nelson didn't think it was necessary for the M2 so I'd be willing to bet it's got enough PSRR.

(As a counterpoint, look at the F3 schematics. There he added a capacitance multiplier after the PSU.)

@JeffYoung
Hi. Sorry for my English
For a long time I have been struggling with the 100hz hum that makes noise in the speakers in the M2x amplifier. After many attempts, tests etc. I found such a problem with the help friends from the forum. The CRC board, under load, has a potential difference of 6mV per gnd audio between channels. Additionally, there is a difference between the gnd chassis and gnd audio of each individual channel. Here is a picture.
I don't know if you remember but I had a problem and burned the resistors R1,2,3. which I have replaced. What else could go broke and cause this problem? I also tweaked the soldering to make sure I did everything I can.
Can you help me?

IMG_20201220_003938.jpg

Last edited:
If the resistors burned, then there was a lot of current going through them. That current would have had to go through the capacitors too (unless there were a couple of shorts).

Usually when an electrolytic capacitor overheats it boils the electrolyte and pops the casing. But perhaps a lower level of damage just degrades the capacitance? Film capacitors are known to burn holes in their dielectric film, but the dielectric in an aluminium electrolytic (aluminium oxide) has a higher melting point than the aluminium, so I don't know what happens there.

Certainly if the capacitors were no longer taking the ripple out you'd expect some hum at 50hz harmonics. So it fits the symptoms anyway....

Could be any of the 4 big ones on the side that the resistors burned. I don't know of a way to check them without de-soldering. (If you have an oscilloscope you could look at the waveform coming out of the supply. If the burned side showed much more ripple than the other then it'd be a pretty good indication that it was the capacitors.)

I don't think a bad bleeder could cause this. It'd either short (in which case it'd burn too) or fail open (in which case it just wouldn't bleed the supply when you turned the power off).

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@JeffYoung
Hi. Sorry for my English
For a long time I have been struggling with the 100hz hum that makes noise in the speakers in the M2x amplifier. After many attempts, tests etc. I found such a problem with the help friends from the forum. The CRC board, under load, has a potential difference of 6mV per gnd audio between channels. Additionally, there is a difference between the gnd chassis and gnd audio of each individual channel. Here is a picture.
I don't know if you remember but I had a problem and burned the resistors R1,2,3. which I have replaced. What else could go broke and cause this problem? I also tweaked the soldering to make sure I did everything I can.
Can you help me? View attachment 903278

What is the resistance at that connection? 1A though 6 milli-ohms gives 6mV.

Jan

Could be any of the 4 big ones on the side that the resistors burned. I don't know of a way to check them without de-soldering. (If you have an oscilloscope you could look at the waveform coming out of the supply. If the burned side showed much more ripple than the other then it'd be a pretty good indication that it was the capacitors.)

I don't think a bad bleeder could cause this. It'd either short (in which case it'd burn too) or fail open (in which case it just wouldn't bleed the supply when you turned the power off).
PS loaded with M2x amplifier. All four power rails look like in this photo ps%20r%20chn%20minus.jpg

No I didn't.

I improved the all soldering on PS board Next I did this:
1. I turned on the power supply without load - no difference and 0V between the chassis and the gnd
2. I turned on the power supply with only the left channel. Also 0V
3. I turned on the power supply with only the right channel. 3.4mV between chassis and gnd.
4 I turned on with both channels. 6.8mV on the right and 0.8mV on the left channel between chassis and audio gnd, 6mV between gnd audio left and right channel.
Then I turned the right PS power to the left channel and got the same readings from the left amplifier channel i.e. 3.4mV left channel alone and 6.8mV when both were working.

I'm a noob so I'd like to know if I understand you well?
1- 6mv difference between two points of the same audio ground at the two ends of the same PCB is ok and I don't need to look for the reason?
2- 3.4mV difference between gnd audio and chassis which appears only on one channel of the CRC board (it doesn't matter which amplifier board is connected) is ok and I don't have to look for the reason?
3- All this is not affected by power noise and hum?

Thank you Jeff. I do not know what values ​​to enter in this calculator so I will leave this topic since you write that it is ok. By the way, with 18VAC under load 21.5V remains. 2V takes the bridge, isn't the rest of the drop too much? Another thing is the hum of 100hz. In case you don't know, M2x is a clone of M2 with the possibility of using various input cards. There is also a card with Toshiba's original jfet layout which is silent. Another one that I tried already has 100hz hum no longer acceptable. Here is the problem you mentioned. Mountain View does not have the correct PSRR level. Is it possible to reduce the ripple on this crc board or do you need to change the power supply. Replacing capacitors from 22000uF to 33000uf? Maybe adding extra? I am asking for advice.