Altec Lansing

Stripped brass throats look great too - beautiful speakers all round.

What's with deal with the lip on the bass horn throat? Haven't seen that before.

This is a mistake... Argggg!:bawling: They have been custom built by a local woodworker with the drawings I found in litterature (Jean Hiraga's book and original Altec's drawings). He did everything perfect but this stupid mistake. This has a influence on the FR (120 Hz accident). They should be fixed soon but this is quite a lot of work...

Dominique

I am listening close to the loudspeakers and the stage (3D effect) is much better when these horns are associated with the 825.

Agree , that with some form of horn loaded midbass, upper bass the sound becomes spatial with expansive imaging allowing for closer listening distance. I think this 100-1000Hz channel is the first most important to get right and then to concentrate on midrange horn.

(of course I'm also an ars who doesn't follow this principle due to eternal transitionary period :)

Ps . I also had an idea of hanging horns but I wanted to mount them rigidly on a track in order to be able to move them to tune and fine adjust whole 200Hz+ section over midbass, bass channels and save on floor space. Maybe in a next life cottage with cathedral ceiling:)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Great looking speakers and room, Dom. Nice paint job on the cabinets.
I have thought about flying the horns, too. May do so one day.

BTW, my 828/825 cabs have a lip like that in the bass horn throat. Not as wide, but it does have it.

This is a mistake... Argggg!:bawling: They have been custom built by a local woodworker with the drawings I found in litterature (Jean Hiraga's book and original Altec's drawings). He did everything perfect but this stupid mistake. This has a influence on the FR (120 Hz accident). They should be fixed soon but this is quite a lot of work...

Dominique

That's a bummer. Everything to do with giant speakers ends up being a lot of work, even if it's not a lot of work, if you know what I mean. :)

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have a pair of Altec 421 15" woofers with the alnico magnet. I've tried to find information on these, but have only found info on the ceramic magnet version. If anybody has a spec sheet or T/S parameters, it would be great. I'm trying to size a box for this woofer and need the specs.

Btw, if you have design ideas for the 421, please do share. Space is at a premium, so something small (although, this thread isn't exactly about small speakers) would be preferable.

Thanks!

Arrow points to the lip. Sorry for drawing so much attention to it. :eek:

EDIT: Yeah, your right Cal, lip was a poor choice of words given that it's at the throat and not the mouth. People expect to see lips at the mouth or something...

Attachments

• LIP.jpg
    LIP.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
I have the 421 ceramics so I won't be much help but when mounted in the A7 cabinet (aka 1236) they do pretty well. The stock 1233 cabinets need plenty of EQ. I would imagine the ceramic/alnico issue is not huge when it comes to the spec. They did keep the same number after all so my guess is the specs would be interchangeable so it means if you are using them for a bass unit, you'll have to EQ and if using it for a midbass you might be just fine if you have a helper woofer.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have the 421 ceramics so I won't be much help but when mounted in the A7 cabinet (aka 1236) they do pretty well. The stock 1233 cabinets need plenty of EQ. I would imagine the ceramic/alnico issue is not huge when it comes to the spec. They did keep the same number after all so my guess is the specs would be interchangeable so it means if you are using them for a bass unit, you'll have to EQ and if using it for a midbass you might be just fine if you have a helper woofer.

Thanks Cal! For now, I just want to get them in a cabinet and hear them sing. In the future, they should have support down below. I understand these will do fine upto 50 Hz?

Will a standard sealed box work?