All open baffle

Inspired by New Record Day video about the Caladan by Clayton Shaw, I decided to do it DYI since shipping costs to Japan are ridiculous (and no international deliveries at the moment provided). My MiniDSP serves as an active crossover for two ICEPower 125ASX2 amplifiers. They sound amazing, using a Linkwitz-Riley filter 48db at 1kHz and some gain in the low end, Never thought open baffle speaker can have such a lot of low end, while the speaker membrane is barely moving. The speaker disapear and you feel like in a live concert. This works also for my music with distorted guitars, not only for the high end demo music. Bass guitars sound so real. This is the first day listening to them after waiting 3months for the delivery of the 12inch speaker drivers....I guess no burn in needed. Clayton Shaw chose the perfect drivers..... measurements etc. to be performed

DIY Caladan 2.jpeg
DIY Caladan.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for posting this. I've been intrigued by the Caladans too.
Also interested in which drivers you used. Sounds like this is your first open baffle experience?

I've been intrigued by Clayton's move from Beyma AMT tweeter with waveguide to this new design, while keeping about the same xo point and 12" midrange. Also about his use of such wide baffles for the tweeter and midrange vs using narrow/minimal baffles.

My interpretation is that Caladans run both 12" drivers from the lowest end and one of them is cut above a certain frequency (with a coil) such that the top 12" is the only one reproducing the midrange. Are you doing the same?

I built also the Linkwitz mini once and heard some open baffle at High end shows in tiny rooms woth lots of people and exotic tube amps. Never was hooked before maybe because of the type of music that is played usually in shows). Never heard heard ACDC or Alice in chains live recordings on such speakers. Hells bells intro sound frighteningly good now! I got my information from the new record day video and the homepage Clayton Shaw Acoustic lab. Caldan is 2-way, crossover 1kHz (looks like 2nd order L-R). So my first test was based on this information and it sounded very good to my ear "out of the box" (except the gain in the low end and cut off below 20Hz). I will measure and maybe can be tuned better (crossover steepness, correction of room modes) for my room in the coming weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
I find open-baffle designs interesting but my application might be a little weird - amplifying keyboards. Reason I care is because it seems like an open-baffle design would be easier to move; you'd just need a way to encase the drivers for transport and then the rest would be basically flat panels with components to stand them upright.

I find open-baffle designs interesting but my application might be a little weird - amplifying keyboards. Reason I care is because it seems like an open-baffle design would be easier to move; you'd just need a way to encase the drivers for transport and then the rest would be basically flat panels with components to stand them upright.
Compared to sealed woofers you would have to haul twice the amount of open baffle speakers and power for the same low frequency level.
Compared to bass reflex woofers, ~four times the amount of open baffle speakers and power would be required for the same low frequency level.
Considering you already experimented with "wings" on your bass reflex speakers (a maximum of +3dB gain for much larger wings than you tried..) hauling four times the bass speakers around won't fits your "easier to move" idea ;)

From Siegfried Linkwitz (RIP):

"The comparable monopole has a flat frequency response (0 dB), whereas the dipole rolls off at 6 dB/oct. To maintain constant sound pressure level (0 dB) the monopole displaces four times (+12 dB/oct) the air volume for every halving of frequency, but the dipole has to have eight times (+18 dB/oct) the displacement. Very quickly the maximum excursion capability of a driver becomes the limiting factor for maximally achievable sound level."

Cheers,
Art

Reactions: 1 user
Compared to sealed woofers you would have to haul twice the amount of open baffle speakers and power for the same low frequency level.
Compared to bass reflex woofers, ~four times the amount of open baffle speakers and power would be required for the same low frequency level.
Considering you already experimented with "wings" on your bass reflex speakers (a maximum of +3dB gain for much larger wings than you tried..) hauling four times the bass speakers around won't fits your "easier to move" idea ;)

Cheers,
Art
Ahh, you remember that, do you?:D Actually, I have not had occasion to actually run a test of the wings beside the Acoustic 807s. There's a church near me that has a pretty sizeable fellowship hall that I arranged to haul my stuff do and run measurement/EQ tests including with the wings, but I cancelled after deciding to replace the 12"s with some that had more Xmax. I have since done that. I ran a crude measurement/EQ session in my practice room (too small a room and nowhere near far-field enough) and at low volumes at least they're sounding pretty nice with the EQ engaged. I've been trying for the past few weeks to catch the guy I'd spoken with previously about having use of the fellowship hall but no joy.

2 things come to mind,
1)there is free air driver response and in room response. Won't room gain help? Also with fewer modes, thanks to the dipole polar response , won't distortion be lower in that regard? Well if room modes are distortion, I certainly think of them that way. So increased distortion from excursion but lower from room interactions? But I think op is asking if it's physically possible in the first place with 2 12?
2) the dipole cancellation has a distance element to it so would nearfield possibly be recommended use for these?
3) servo feedback would allow for boost+high excursion+lower distortion?
4)from my memory the ae drivers are designed for open baffle with a rising response in the low end?

I am far from really understanding speakers in general so please take any of my assumptions with a grain of salt the size of a driver it would take to get 20hz with zero baffle

Cooper, diyaudio.com has roughly 200 threads with "open baffle" mentioned in title... then add dipole topics!

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/search/1639365/?q=open+baffle&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

I understand that you have many good questions, but please spend some time with old threads. Some 10 threads of OBs are active now and you can find most answers in them, just start from opening post and jump forward

Basic sources for info

www.linkwitzlab.com
https://musicanddesign.speakerdesign.net/tech.html
http://www.dipolplus.de/

Last edited: