Aleph J Schematic

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
AR2 is one to blame , if something goes wrong :rofl:

I'm having pair of LL1636 in my drawer ( Geschenk from my wakoo German , from time when we tried to crack M2 options ) but I'm not having TP I/V ....... so conclusion - I didn't heard that combo with my own ears

however - they (LLs) will soon be tried after wakooest I/V ever ( or as possible I/V transfer parts in it) :rofl:

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Frank - if you're willing to toss entire OP shebang on right side and invest in pair of Lundahls , you'll have much better sound - balanced or SE , by your choice

look for AR2's posts regarding that solution

I will definitely consider this and will research AR2's results. However, this amp is for ~180 Hz and up in a bi-amp system, so will the transformers influence phase on those channels? If so, I would need them on the 20-180 Hz channel as well, no?

When I get back from my upcoming trip (and get back above water at work), I think the first problem is to get *enough* sound. Second problem is to get that sound clean. Ideally I'd like to take this amp apart only ONE more time! :eek: I am no engineer, so I am out of my comfort zone most of the time!

So for next steps:

1. R1-3 are stock - 221k/22.1k ...meaning an average of 5X gain for the + and 5X for the minus halves of the signal? If so, how close can I go to a 20X ratio? That is the gain of the current mid/treble amp that will just max-out the listening space. Right now, the A-J will do it at +/- 2V input, or double the i/v signal I have to offer.

2. I definitely want to be sure my bias is 'dialed-in'. With the case closed the 'wind tunnel' fan is quieter than I thought so I can blow more air and tweak the bias upward, but I don't want to damage anything measuring it! I *think* it is 3.7A and believe I can cool adequately at 4A. Best place/method to check bias for adjustment with R27 pot?

Thanks SO much, helpful DIYers!

Frank

doing some research in the last time regarding dacs , yesterday I`ve found in a post a link with metal foil resistors/pots from vishay.the price is indeed HUGE but the same are the specs too, one of their features is very low noise accompanied with long term stability and as for this I am thinking to use 4 of those trim pots in my amps in place of R8 and R27 for future tunning of bias and offset too if the other is modified.for R8 they do have a 1K trim pot but didn`t manage to find any 70-100K or above value trim pot for R27, as for power rating 250mW will suffice right?
I am talking about Vishay Bulk Metal® Foil Trimming Potentiometers , does anyone of you experienced with these?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/145387-aleph-j-x-amp-project-70.html#post3406006 :

why I'm seeing all the time that anti-trimpot hysteria , especially from ppl not understanding either their role , or function of entire circuit ?

you guys are building knock-offs of NP's amps , and you're dicing fact that his amps are having trimpots in needed places ; even most "critical" ones

and he's not loosing sleep regarding that ........ in fact contrary to that

use "generic" Vishay-Spectrol multiturns

nasty mornindiyaudiosses

gollumgollum

ZM is dumb in that he recognizes that the design and transistors most affect the sonic signature of an amp. If you don't like the AJ, fancy pots wo'nt make a difference. If you do like it, the only place I would consider one is r7. In truth, this is not even in signal path, so dunno. Fancy parts can help, but you are definitely in most expensive and last 10% of optimization.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM is dumb in that he recognizes that the design and transistors most affect the sonic signature of an amp. If you don't like the AJ, fancy pots wo'nt make a difference. If you do like it, the only place I would consider one is r7. In truth, this is not even in signal path, so dunno. Fancy parts can help, but you are definitely in most expensive and last 10% of optimization.

as already stated numerous times before , however big dumbness you succeed to write , you'll ever never came even in near proximity of my Glorius Dumb Achievements :devilr:

as seen on schematic (they're useful ,sometimes ) R7 is directly in signal path, serving as I to V transforming element

whatever - as you can find cermet pots in most critical places in medicine/hospital gadgets , military equipment yukyuk , I can't see proper reason to avoid proper industrial quality part where it belongs

next step is bronze heatsink , I presume :rofl:

having pot as part of R27 resistance is useful - for coarse bias adjustment
having pot as part of R8 resistance is useful , for fine offset adjustment

if you have pots in these two positions , you don't need pot for R7

95810d1194056861-aleph-j-schematic-aleph_j_sch.jpg

Attachments

• 129fs916747.gif
    129fs916747.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 239