Aleph J illustrated build guide

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Best matching would be at the amplifier operating point. But that is not always possible so match as close as your tracer can get and call it a day.

You want to match Vgs for a given Iq and Vds.

Since you have an operating amplifier, you can measure those parameters.

Reactions: 2 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
best to match them at Iq prescribed for exact circuit, measuring Ugs

if only lower level of Iq for matching is possible, that's also usable, matching "tracking" is pretty good, by experience

but, take that lower level isn't extremely lower than prescribed (in circuit)

you'll find plenty of info on Articles page of FW site

in short - everything as Ben said

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the tips guys. As you pointed out ZM, correct; curve tracer gets to about 500mA and that's it. So I'm matching them at the highest point.
BTW, if you have not tried the Fairchild (now ON Semi) FQA28N15, consider as a very good alternative. They finally came back in stock at Mouser and Newark, but they are scheduled for obsolescence. I bought a couple of tubes, and had a tube of the Fairchild parts from about 2012. The datasheet says "suitable for audio amplifiers". Interesting note that I found out these are the power devices used in one of the Accuphase Class A power amps. I had the PDF brochure that was showing the internals of the amp and I did a zoom and clean up and you could see it was that part number. If I can find that I'll post it here.

Attachments

• FQA28N15-D.PDF
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
Okay, fes up, who bought them? Could it be an upcoming design????

Attachments

• May I Have Some More.gif
    May I Have Some More.gif
    215.4 KB · Views: 19
These parts have high enough transconductance and power dissipation to consider using as singles rather than matched pairs in the Aleph J. I did something similar with the Aleph J SS boards. That worked really well. My combo was IRFP048 above and FQH44N10 below.

The FQA28N15 should work well in both positions. They like 1.5A bias.

Reactions: 2 users
So I've been using Aleph-J for a while and have had some noise in left channel that seems very periodic like maybe once every 10 minutes there is like a static sort of sound. I purchased a new audio interface that I have to RMA because it went bad and started re-testing the Aleph-J and discovered between chassis ground and XLR pins 1/2/3 I'm measuring nearly 30VAC. Any thoughts on cause of this?

Can you sketch up a wiring diagram showing your power supply interconnections, chassis ground(s) and XLR wiring to PCB? Makes it much easier to assess.
To start; are all of your grounds to a single point? Is your XLR shield to that ground point, or the bridged chassis ground? When I say "bridged", I mean is your single point ground bus connected to chassis ground using a thermistor? (about 10 ohms cold works well) you can search in this thread for part numbers.

Here are pics showing the build. I built this in like 2019 so don't remember all the specifics but looks to me like things are ground directly to chassis where most convenient. Transformer ground and earth ground tie to that bottom plate with holes in it. The only other ground I see is the XLR sockets have that red jumper wire to back panel.... Of course the Aleph J boards are screwed into the heat sink but not sure if those tie to ground...

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpeg
    IMG_0359.jpeg
    599.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0358.jpeg
    IMG_0358.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0357.jpeg
    IMG_0357.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0356.jpeg
    IMG_0356.jpeg
    487.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0355.jpeg
    IMG_0355.jpeg
    562.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0354.jpeg
    IMG_0354.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0353.jpeg
    IMG_0353.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0351.jpeg
    IMG_0351.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0350.jpeg
    IMG_0350.jpeg
    511.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0349.jpeg
    IMG_0349.jpeg
    489.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0352.jpeg
    IMG_0352.jpeg
    528.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It looks like PS is grounded through ground on the amplifier board via the XLR grounds connected to the chassis. So there is no ground lift. Correction: XLR pin 1 is not connected to chassis, so PS ground is not connected to chassis, only XLR case connected to chassis.

Strange that 30VAC would appear on all pins of the XLR jack.

Intermittent noise may be caused by bad solder joints.

Suggest use a voltmeter and check that DC voltages are correct at the power supply and at the amplifier boards and re-check AC voltage at XLR jack.

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
and discovered between chassis ground and XLR pins 1/2/3 I'm measuring nearly 30VAC.

30VAC between the chassis and all pins of both XLRs would be odd. It's even more strange to me because one of the pins (pin 1) for both XLR jacks is connected to the chassis, so...

I'd advise checking again and saying exactly where the probes are touching when you're taking your measurements and how the DMM is set. A pic of the DMM during one of the measurements is even better.

Check resistance from pin one of both XLRs to your mains earth lug on the chassis floor.

You could try adding a ground loop break between the "GND" of the PSU board and the chassis. If you have a CL-60 (or something else you're confident in using) handy, you can test it in <30s to see if it helps / changes things.

Edited to add - Why not do a quick check for the resistance between all the pins within and between the XLR jacks. May or may not confirm a suspicion.

Last edited: