Aleph J illustrated build guide

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Moving the heatsinks and having the noise go away is interesting... It's a fairly narrow chassis. The noise is also interesting. :yikes:

Maybe put some metal? between the toroids, your wiring and the PCBs to see if that is blocking some EMI being coupled to boards. Move the metal around and see if the noise goes away or changes. If you have a spare piece, it would only take a minute to try... even it it tells you nothing valuable. I am never sure what types of metal or other things are useful, so... mainly just looking for an effect vs. a solution.

I have tried to localise in which channel the fault occurs. This is somewhat difficult because the squeaking is sometimes transferred to the other channel.

What I can say with certainty is that the amplifier board cannot be the cause. I have replaced this back and forth several times. However, the squeaking always occurs in the left channel, but not always in the right.

I have not yet tried to isolate the transformer as I do not have the necessary material. Should be magnetic, right?

So, I've got an almost successful build. Everything works and measures as it should and sounds lovely.

However, I have one channel that always has power even after you switch the unit off. Not residual power, like full powered on.

I built this as a dual mono. Did I wire the switch incorrectly or is this a switch issue? Or something else.... The top power switch wires are to the right channel which functions correctly. Did I wire the bottom incorretly?

IMG_8807.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8802.jpeg
    IMG_8802.jpeg
    643.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8803.jpeg
    IMG_8803.jpeg
    778.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8804.jpeg
    IMG_8804.jpeg
    765.8 KB · Views: 88
I bought a MS6812 cable tracker to use its receiver to track noise, buzz, etc. It has a high pass filter at 100 Hz but it actually picks up some hum from power lines. I haven't used yet in a real scenario but it looks promising.

Here you can see a properly designed probe. But I am probably going off topic.
I measured the noise with an app (Sonic tools) it was around 9800-10000hz, so unfortunately probably unsuitable for this purpose.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I measured the noise with an app (Sonic tools) it was around 9800-10000hz, so unfortunately probably unsuitable for this purpose.
Receiver frequency range is said to be 100 ~ 300kHz. I will test it with a signal generator. I need to be sure it does what I think it does before suggesting others to buy it.

I think the idea to buy it came when I watched this video about twisting wires. But still unrelated to your problem. Sorry about the off topic.

If the amp is DC stable (stable bias and offset), then something capable of drawing high current is causing that sound... I think.

How did you mount the transformers to the chassis?? Have you created "a short" by any chance?

Maybe try flipping over one of the transformers, so that both labels read left to right (or right to left)... see if that helps.

1700428466620.png

I had much better results (better sound) once I removed the links, as shown below - see the red cross:

1700428668096.png