Aleph J illustrated build guide

Unlike Mighty, I am not sending my amp. If I wake up one day looking and feeling like Papa or ZM, I’ll use M80 for stacking spacers. So that it can be sent even to Australia, being used upside down. For now, no one is interested in my produce, so I think my China-stax will do the job :clown:

Btw, Mighty, I thought fastons were for sissies. I always crimp lightly and solder, like you. This time around, I was planning avoiding fastons alltogether, except for on top of the caps (circular fastons whatever).

Any point in going through the extra effort? Fastons are very practical. But I prefer direct soldering, just feels good.

Regards,
Andy

ah, these

yup, M8 bolts on mosfets, M6 split washers, M5 big flat washers

:clown:

I prefer the other MightyZMethod© and I'll try with pre-Euro-era 500 lire :rofl:

IMG_6740-1024x682.jpg

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
how you see it is not fet mount?

mosfet pins are there, big washer is with reason, split washer especially with reason

damn greenhorns .......

:rofl:

I'm always using split washers, especially if there is thermal cycling

and with A Class amps, pretty small part of case is not thermally changing in time

I wrote before - had few amps for repair , Dodo 35A metal diode bridge - beancounter didn't put split washer , bridge got loose, gone Dodo

Last edited:
I see it now, haha. Damn Batsch.

Yea, I have stocked up on split washers following your example. But not for fets. Luckily I have a ton, so they will go in.

Goop vs Keratherm: you always use goop. What is best? Always goop? Nelson wrote an article about it, saying he returned to goop from non goop solution after thermal measurements of heat sink temp.

I am reluctant to use Keratherm to dissipate 50 watts per device…

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Keratherm 86/82 is better than mica&goop, many times confirmed

Important : 86/82 is magic No./type ; got by Vendor mistake/error different type, paid unseen error dearly (repeated repairs until I didn't found what is wrong, plus Dodo pair of Dynaudio woofs);

but! - with Keratherm I'm finding that use of SissyTorquedriver is a must - even when torqued to 0.9Nm precisely, there is obvious higher pressure/indent in area around screw hole

if you screw with Keratherm too much, you're ..... well, increasing possibility to be screwed in the end

Keratherm , then Alumina oxide (plus goop!), then mica&goop

you say : "you always use goop" ......... yes, but you're evidently looking only at pics of my T-Beds; it's logical that I'm using mica and goop there

I'm getting really close to biting the bullet and hitting the ORDER button. Looking to do a simple, 'stock' build following 6L6's excellent guide as well as this writeup: DIY Aleph J: A Build Guide Oh and of course this forum!

If anyone wants to talk me out of it, now is the time! Only semi-kidding, hard to pick the best FW amp to build, but this one just 'feels' right for some reason.

Can you confirm this is everything I need to order from the DIY Audio Store? I know plenty of other parts to track down, but this at least gets the ball rolling and makes me commit, thanks!

i-Qb9XzJ7.png

I see that you're relatively new here, so I'll offer some advice:

DON'T DO IT!!!

You'll only end up LOVING this amp! You'll say it's the BEST amp you've ever heard! And that it's the last amp you'll even need! But then, a few months after it's done, you'll be curious about how "other" amps sound. So you'll build a second and then a third amp.

After a while, you'll be wondering if you are REALLY getting everything you can out of your sound system. You'll start looking at a bigger pair of speakers to build. Then, you'll just want another amp. Pretty soon, you'll have an amp and speakers in every room in the house. After a decade or two, you'll start running out of rooms in the house that "need" their own dedicated sound system. You'll just start tripping over amps and speakers after a little while.

Best not to give in to the initial temptations ;)

(Yes, you have everything that you need from the store - make the final click and get to it!)

Ha ha, thanks Eric, this is the sort of reckless validation I seek out on the forums....because coming to the Aleph J builders thread is obviously the best place to get talked out of building an Aleph J :D

Thanks for confirming on the parts, just want to make sure I am not missing something that I will have to pay a bunch for shipping on later.

I'll probably snag the handles, just because a lot easier for them to get dropped in the box in Italy vs. placing a separate order if I want to add them later.

Zen - I've been called a lot of things in my life, some better, some worse...so I will say that is a win!

Keratherm 86/82 is better than mica&goop, many times confirmed

Important : 86/82 is magic No./type ; got by Vendor mistake/error different type, paid unseen error dearly (repeated repairs until I didn't found what is wrong, plus Dodo pair of Dynaudio woofs);

but! - with Keratherm I'm finding that use of SissyTorquedriver is a must - even when torqued to 0.9Nm precisely, there is obvious higher pressure/indent in area around screw hole

if you screw with Keratherm too much, you're ..... well, increasing possibility to be screwed in the end

Keratherm , then Alumina oxide (plus goop!), then mica&goop

you say : "you always use goop" ......... yes, but you're evidently looking only at pics of my T-Beds; it's logical that I'm using mica and goop there

Thanks for that, really! I did get my sissywrench now, so this is going to work put fine, especially with split washer. Smooth :cheers: