Aleph J illustrated build guide

Speaking of dual mono Aleph Js, I'm making slow, but steady, progress on mine.

I had never built a power supply before. Now I've built two. :) Both outputting +27.7 V and -27.4 V.

I got the amp boards all wired up last night.

Attachments

• PXL_20210707_220258508.jpg
    PXL_20210707_220258508.jpg
    988 KB · Views: 349
  • PXL_20210715_035017166.jpg
    PXL_20210715_035017166.jpg
    977.1 KB · Views: 351
Me: "I think that for J I'll go for Dual Mono in a single cabinet"
ZM: "Take a Dissipante 4U/400"
Me: "It's too big for my rack"
ZM: "Change rack" :rofl:

Done :D
The Infinite Improbability Audio Rack

View attachment 967259

:cheers:

That's somewhat similar to a couple racks I built last year. The main differences are: I used poplar plywood; copper plumbing pipe; and I put a poplar border along the edge of the plywood. There's a dado that runs down the middle, so it fits right onto it.

If you want to finish the edges of something like this more simply, you can use edge banding. It just irons on, very easily. Quite cheap. Then you have to trim it, using one of these. It takes a couple tries to get the hang of it, but also easy.

Riki: that’s a great looking rack you’ve built! It seems that everyone but me used some sort of tubing to hide the allthread - though I made mine about 18 years ago.

Jmpyoung: wow - that’s a very clean and neat work bench. Mine has all sorts of partial holes drilled in it and random stains from oil, paint, and various wood finishers.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Riki: that’s a great looking rack you’ve built! It seems that everyone but me used some sort of tubing to hide the allthread - though I made mine about 18 years ago.

Jmpyoung: wow - that’s a very clean and neat work bench. Mine has all sorts of partial holes drilled in it and random stains from oil, paint, and various wood finishers.

Nope. I have one in basement with exposed threads. lot of fiddling to redo now...

Russellc

Thanks, Russel and Papa!

I initially thought so, but when I saw the store kit JFETs @ 4-5mA I just had to ask. Considering this circuit in a possible biamp config with the slot loaded OB’s, but the idea is only just taking shape. If so considering the 6/24 crossover of your/Papas making. Hoping for both sugar and punch paired with my BA-3.

Have a few reels of output 240s too. Am I right in that the need for matching is two and two/pairs or are quads nescessary? Store fets are 8 pcs, but I read Chokys post about matching needs a while back, and read that as pairs. But my eyes are not those of a thermal physicist or seasoned DIY’er.

Regards,
Andy