Aleph J illustrated build guide

Let it be sound. The Zen sound :)

And what a sound it is! THD spectrum attached at 1W and 8W at 8 ohms. Total THD at 1W is just 0.036%, and 0.035% of that is 2nd harmonic.

And what a silent amp! Nothing but the music. No hum/buzz at all with 96dB Klipsch loundspeakers! The most silent amp of all the FW clones I've build so far! Nothing, nada, zilch in Zen speak ;)

Thanks again for all who made it happen!
Papa is smart, outstanding and everything - Zen Mod is better, yet :)

-Alvis

Attachments

• IMG_2580.jpg
    IMG_2580.jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 232
  • AJZen L 2v83.png
    AJZen L 2v83.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 229
  • AJZen L 8v00.png
    AJZen L 8v00.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 224
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

I'm glad you like it :)

Papa's
Kung
is
funniest
Fu

for any of his Gizmos - be absolutely sure that he exactly knows and controls end result; you can take any of them (Gizmos) and try to improve - you'll get (in best case) something same good but different, but never better

what is better?

:)

edit: how easy you did found setting procedure?

for any of his Gizmos - be absolutely sure that he [Papa] exactly knows and controls end result; you can take any of them (Gizmos) and try to improve - you'll get (in best case) something same good but different, but never better

edit: how easy you did found setting procedure?

Setting was easy (but I never found it being difficult with any other apm either). I started with trimpots set to the middle. It corresponded to about 1V5 bias current after initial warmup. So I just had gradually increase it to my desired 1V6. Same with offset. Nice and stable.

But it's something else what I liked most about your version, Zen Mod. I have a feeling that Papa makes his genius designs biased to his so well filled and matched stash of parts: lots of Toshibas, lots of mached MOSFETS etc. This makes life for us, simple Greedy Guys, interesting, but a bit more complicated. And you took Papa's idea and looked at it from a bit different perspective - no matchings, cheap and easily available parts (except Jfets, unfortuntely). Also nice thing about the PCB was included place for the GBR and convenient jumper for SE input. This is what I liked. Same good result, as you say, but with less hassle!

sissy common PSU

Hrrr.. I will definetely have to buy one of yours CRC PCBs with some of your kits :) That also have a place for the thermistor! :)

With gratitude.
- Alvis

Let it be sound. The Zen sound :)

And what a sound it is! THD spectrum attached at 1W and 8W at 8 ohms. Total THD at 1W is just 0.036%, and 0.035% of that is 2nd harmonic.

And what a silent amp! Nothing but the music. No hum/buzz at all with 96dB Klipsch loundspeakers! The most silent amp of all the FW clones I've build so far! Nothing, nada, zilch in Zen speak ;)

Thanks again for all who made it happen!

-Alvis

:up: G R E A T ! ! ! :up:
:cheers:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

But it's something else what I liked most about your version, Zen Mod. I have a feeling that Papa makes his genius designs biased to his so well filled and matched stash of parts: lots of Toshibas, lots of mached MOSFETS etc. This makes life for us, simple Greedy Guys, interesting, but a bit more complicated. And you took Papa's idea and looked at it from a bit different perspective - no matchings, cheap and easily available parts (except Jfets, unfortuntely). Also nice thing about the PCB was included place for the GBR and convenient jumper for SE input. This is what I liked. Same good result, as you say, but with less hassle!

yup - he made Aleph J for his production - as you said - all Toshibas of this world, Trainload of IRFP240 to choose from

so, this pcb and few choices resulting in overall simplification, are actually made to make life simpler to interested Greedy Boy **

same logic applies to Papa's pieces made exactly for Greedy Boyz - just look at all Diyaudio intended projects, not FW or PL products with expired production - he made everything possible to simplify things, while not cutting in intended level of performance

**edit: let's not forget that 6L6 asked for at least 2 LEDs; I forgot to include them ......... what is a power of restraint! :rofl:

Last edited: